Review Round 18, 2020 - Brisbane Lions vs. Carlton

Who were your five best players against Carlton?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
McStay last night = 5 disposals at 20% efficiency. Skinner against Richmond (where he was the whipping boy) = 7 disposals at 71% efficiency. Let’s get some consistency in what we see ffs

Cherry picking a bad game. Previous week McStay was arguably BOG and played at a level way above anything Skinner can produce at this point.

Tassie4ever

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Stop the throws and they're 3 or 4 goals lighter every game.

Their forwards are experts at nudging their opponent under the ball and for some reason not giving away a free . And they run so hard that there's always someone going past as the ball heads over the back.

They game the system and get away with it . I guess that's good tactics but their supporters seem to think it's great play. Some sides don't get away with the same thing or at the least aren't as scientific as to how they go about it.

As I said above, if we play them conventional, they'll beat us conventional.

Hope Fagan has something up his sleeve. Expect he will.

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Cherry picking a bad game. Previous week McStay was arguably BOG and played at a level way above anything Skinner can produce at this point.

And you are cherry picking a good game.

On the year he has averaged 8 disposals, 3.3 marks, 0.7 goals and 2.1 turnovers a match. For an average game that is not a lot of production for someone to replace and is pretty ordinary for a player in his 7th year. Skinner actually averaged more disposals and marks per game than McStay did and people have been pretty disappointed in how he went. Defenders of McStay probably should consider that for a minute.

For me I did not really understand why we delisted Hammelmann a few years ago. Since that time he has lead the NEAFL in goals both seasons and looked miles better than McStay and the guys we have had running around in the reserves.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
And you are cherry picking a good game.

On the year he has averaged 8 disposals, 3.3 marks, 0.7 goals and 2.1 turnovers a match. For an average game that is not a lot of production for someone to replace and is pretty ordinary for a player in his 7th year. Skinner actually averaged more disposals and marks per game than McStay did and people have been pretty disappointed in how he went. Defenders of McStay probably should consider that for a minute.

For me I did not really understand why we delisted Hammelmann a few years ago. Since that time he has lead the NEAFL in goals both seasons and looked miles better than McStay and the guys we have had running around in the reserves.

Hammelmann couldn't take a contested mark to save his life.

Defenders of McStay realise he's not just in the team for kicks and marks. Contested possessions average; McStay 4.3 to Skinner 1.0.

TheZork

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think none of the McStay defenders (including myself), necessarily think he's good. He's definitely not been great. But I am 100% certain what we've got behind him is far inferior.

Skinner will be de-listed in a few weeks time. After 3 knee reco's his movement looks cooked. He's not the answer.

Ballenden is as soft as it gets.

Fullarton has played 1 game.

Eagles played 2 games this year for 2 disposals.

Really this shouldn't even be an argument.

Nov 11, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think none of the McStay defenders (including myself), necessarily think he's good. He's definitely not been great. But I am 100% certain what we've got behind him is far inferior.

Skinner will be de-listed in a few weeks time. After 3 knee reco's his movement looks cooked. He's not the answer.

Yeah, he probably won’t even have a 50 goal season but unless we draft or trade in someone better.. he keeps his spot. Does enough.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I still think his impact is totally overrated.

Plowman kept running off him on Saturday and he wouldn't chase.

So I don't think anyone is far inferior.

But he's had enough time to be making an impact.

It is what it is . If Fullarton had stayed sound I reckon we'd be thinking about it.

The next 2 games are the most important in his career and I really hope he steps it up.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I felt sorry for Hippy☹
He was trying to do the team thing.
Not sure why he put it deep into the pocket though.
That was a complete mystery . He was on his favored foot ,perfect opportunity to swing into it and nail it. Lot better hope to a 2 on 1 against the smallest guy on your team deep in a pocket.

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hammelmann couldn't take a contested mark to save his life.

Defenders of McStay realise he's not just in the team for kicks and marks. Contested possessions average; McStay 4.3 to Skinner 1.0.

He seems to take them pretty well in the NEAFL including against us and guys who I would consider AFL standard. He averaged 6.6 marks per game last year. Perhaps he has developed in the time since he was moved on.

Deriders of McStay realise that he is in the team to swan around and not contribute very much ;) If we are going to cherry pick stats Skinner averaged 6.5 marks in his 2 AFL games. McStay has averaged 3.3. Having a bloke who could actually take a mark and not just knock it to the ground could be handy. Just saying.

TheZork

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

It is what it is . If Fullarton had stayed sound I reckon we'd be thinking about it.

The next 2 games are the most important in his career and I really hope he steps it up.
But Fullarton didn't stay, and so wasn't able to show what he's got. So we keep him in now.

Nov 11, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

My memory is terrible but I thought Plowman played on Charlie majority of the game.

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

There were a couple of times in camera where he was close enough to pressure a Carlton player with the ball and he kept trotting along putting in no effort. I am not sure what the hell was going on but there is no way someone deserves to be in a finals team doing that kind of thing. Put someone in who is hungry. he is not doing enough to justify his spot.

Nov 11, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He seems to take them pretty well in the NEAFL including against us and guys who I would consider AFL standard. He averaged 6.6 marks per game last year. Perhaps he has developed in the time since he was moved on.

Deriders of McStay realise that he is in the team to swan around and not contribute very much ;) If we are going to cherry pick stats Skinner averaged 6.5 marks in his 2 AFL games. McStay has averaged 3.3. Having a bloke who could actually take a mark and not just knock it to the ground could be handy. Just saying.

Having a bloke who can take a contested mark might help. McStay averages 1.4 of them a game. Skinner failed to take one in his two senior appearances.

My point is probably the same as yours. Anyone can manipulate stats to suit their argument.

I like Skinner and I think there is something to work with. But I think we have seen the last of him.

I genuinely think McStay and Skinner were probably always best suited to being defenders.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
There were a couple of times in camera where he was close enough to pressure a Carlton player with the ball and he kept trotting along putting in no effort. I am not sure what the hell was going on but there is no way someone deserves to be in a finals team doing that kind of thing. Put someone in who is hungry. he is not doing enough to justify his spot.
That's my beef.

He's been doing that for weeks. It was particularly noticeable this week.

He's big enough and quick enough when he really goes in ,someone needs to put a rocket up him . Too often in our forward line it's the little guys doing all the bullocking.

snooplions

Club Legend
Dec 2, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The last few games Hipwood seems to have combined his recently built upon attack at the ball with his old Lance Franklin impersonator tricks. I was a big critic of him in the first half of the year but he has really found a bit of confidence of late, as has nearly all of our forward line now I think about it.

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Having a bloke who can take a contested mark might help. McStay averages 1.4 of them a game. Skinner failed to take one in his two senior appearances.

My point is probably the same as yours. Anyone can manipulate stats to suit their argument.

I like Skinner and I think there is something to work with. But I think we have seen the last of him.

I genuinely think McStay and Skinner were probably always best suited to being defenders.

I think McStay is a better forward. He was beaten too readily and was too unaccountable when he played down back.

Skinner suffered from our overabundance of good tall defenders and our lack of forward options and so he went forward. I definitely think he is a better defender than forward. I agree though that he is likely gone at the end of the year. Unfortunate for him given everything he has gone through.

I do understand why McStay is in the side at the moment but the lack of effort on the weekend really really annoyed me. He just didn't try a few times when I watched him and that should not be acceptable and should be a green light to our recruitment staff to go hard after the likes of Brown in the offseason.

T Rick

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Might be a bit introverted but Dan doesn't look like he is happy or enjoying his footy at present - might be carrying a niggle, who knows? Really hope he turns it on for the finals!

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Skinner can't kick though which is another issue. I'd rather almost anyone else in the team taking those marks instead of Skinner.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Might be a bit introverted but Dan doesn't look like he is happy or enjoying his footy at present - might be carrying a niggle, who knows? Really hope he turns it on for the finals!

Given his goal kicking issues I think it's pretty clear he's an anxious footballer and an over-thinker. Not a relaxed, confident character.

Back