Preview Round 18, 2020: Hawthorn v Gold Coast Suns, 20 September 2020, 1.05pm @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tell you this is whats going to ensue.
Guys like Punky, Gunners etc who played along with Stratts & Poppy are not going to be rested- period. They will want to play with them in their last games.
If we put in a decent enough squad here we'll win this game.
So even if we win by 6+ goals which I know is a stretch, the Swans will conspire to get blown away by the Pussies & my friends they get 2 x 1st round picks before us. Then on top of that they get that other small forward/midfielder Gulden who's highly rated.
Nothing surer.
I'd love us to win for Stratts & Poppy but it may cost us a quality kid which we sorely need.

Guys like Punky, Gunners etc who played along with Stratts & Poppy are not going to be rested- period. They will want to play with them in their last games.
So even if we win by 6+ goals which I know is a stretch, the Swans will conspire to get blown away by the Pussies & my friends they get 2 x 1st round picks before us. Then on top of that they get that other small forward/midfielder Gulden who's highly rated.
Nothing surer.
I'd love us to win for Stratts & Poppy but it may cost us a quality kid which we sorely need.
We're not that dumb.

There's a lot at stake here.
I don't think we'll be winning this.

Do you think there is a player we have our eye on that we can get with pick 3, but not pick 4? If not, I'm inclined to think the win is more important than the pick position, choosing a team that can't win when you're saying farewell to your captain is a dangerous move, culture wise.

Do you think there is a player we have our eye on that we can get with pick 3, but not pick 4? If not, I'm inclined to think the win is more important than the pick position, choosing a team that can't win when you're saying farewell to your captain is a dangerous move, culture wise.
If we win and jump up above the Swans, they get Pick 3 and Campbell unless the Crows or North do the right thing and bid on him with Pick 1 or 2.

Us winning this week could literally be the difference between the Swans getting two kids in the top 4, or one....and us missing on our target.

If we win and jump up above the Swans, they get Pick 3 and Campbell unless the Crows or North do the right thing and bid on him with Pick 1 or 2.

Us winning this week could literally be the difference between the Swans getting two kids in the top 4, or one.
The system sucks

Us winning this week could literally be the difference between the Swans getting two kids in the top 4, or one....and us missing on our target.

Thanks, that's a pretty significant difference. Perhaps worth the tank after all.

How do you know who our target is?

Sent by shoephone via Tapatoe

How do you know who our target is?

Sent by shoephone via Tapatoe
"could literally be the difference"

But yes, if the Swans finish up with Pick 3, they get 2 bites of the cherry, and give us less chance of grabbing our best rated player.

"could literally be the difference"

But yes, if the Swans finish up with Pick 3, they get 2 bites of the cherry, and give us less chance of grabbing our best rated player.
I know I’m not alone here when I say that I won’t sleep well until after Sunday‘s game. Depending on the result of that game the next couple of months could get rough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simply the risk vs Reward of winning this week just isn't worth it as you said, more important to limit the swans and get a higher pick ourselves than some final day win Vs Gold Coast that will defs mean nothing.

Nothing surer.
I'd love us to win for Stratts & Poppy but it may cost us
Nothing surer.
Yep the desire to send these champions off and the list uncertainty around Frawley, Smith, McEvoy and so on means we should jump out of the blocks. Remember these two have declared retirement doesn’t mean there’s not more who might plan on trying to go on elsewhere.

Ramifications are big. It's why Syd tanked against Carlton when 7 goals up in the wet that night.
After watching the U17's All stars game last year I tell you what that Campbell, he's a gun. Got a weapon of a left foot & hits the packs hard.
FU**king Sydney get another another gift & even worse still if we win this they get another good kid potentially.

Last edited:
All professional sport has is the integrity of its competition. Without that it's just another TV show, or the WWE. Allow it to dilute at your peril.

The system sure does suck, and there's been no less of the suckery due to the shorter season either.

After watching the U17's All stars game last year I tell you what that Campbell, he's a gun. Got a weapon of a left foot & hits the packs hard.
FU**king Sydney get another another gift & even worse still if we win this they get another good kid potentially.

The system does suck - no question but I still can't wrap my head around NO team placing a bid on Green last year and letting GWS take him without matching. Was considered the second best mid behind Rowell but no bids, unbelievable. Don't want to beat the suns but as mentioned above,the team will be up for Poppy and Stratts and will come out all fired up

The system does suck - no question but I still can't wrap my head around NO team placing a bid on Green last year and letting GWS take him without matching. Was considered the second best mid behind Rowell but no bids, unbelievable. Don't want to beat the suns but as mentioned above,the team will be up for Poppy and Stratts and will come out all fired up

Yeah, anyone thinking we'll match early just to make people pay up hasn't been watching the recent history of bidding in the AFL. Most seem to let them slide through further than they should.

The last two times I remember people bidding earlier than expected to mess with opposition teams were Ayce Cordy in 2008 and Luke McDonald in 2013.

Yeah, anyone thinking we'll match early just to make people pay up hasn't been watching the recent history of bidding in the AFL. Most seem to let them slide through further than they should.

The last two times I remember people bidding earlier than expected to mess with opposition teams were Ayce Cordy in 2008 and Luke McDonald in 2013.
Campbell actually looks worth it though. If we bid on him at pick 3 and Swans don't match then I would still consider that a great win for us.

Campbell actually looks worth it though. If we bid on him at pick 3 and Swans don't match then I would still consider that a great win for us.
Campbell looks arguably the best player in the draft who isn’t JUH, to my eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back