Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
Thursday, September 17
North Melbourne v West Coast (MS) (N)

Friday, September 18
St Kilda v Greater Western Sydney (G) (N)

Saturday, September 19
Essendon v Melbourne (MS)
Adelaide v Richmond (AO) (T)
Brisbane Lions v Carlton (G) (N)

Sunday, September 20
Hawthorn v Gold Coast (AO)
Sydney v Geelong (MS)
Fremantle v Western Bulldogs (CS) (N)

Monday, September 21
Collingwood v Port Adelaide (G) (N)

Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
Would be a good opponent to wear it against, but I feel like its been scrapped. It was supposed to be worn on the actual 150th anniversary of their first game wasn’t it? Don’t think there was a huge appetite from the fan base for it to be worn either.

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
I just turfed a few posts about the Prison Bars debate, the opinions of which you're more than welcome to express in our megathread. It was just about to start off all the same arguments again so best thought we nip it in the bud.

As an aside, in terms of contrast I'm not exactly looking forward to the Pies v Port game. Silver isn't all that great a distinguisher versus black and white. It was never all that fun even in their white clash either. Teal would be preferable.

Word is it's been canned as the club decided they wanted the focus to be on the PBs which, to be honest, is probably the right call. I've seen too many people complaining about the Bars say "wear the hoops instead it's your first jumper" (cause yeah, celebrating 150 years is all about the first year and not the other 149 years and premierships, totally) so it's good that Port recognise that they don't want to muddy the waters. I'd still like to have seen it worn though cause at the end of the day it's about what the jumpers mean to Port people, not outsiders. This would be a great game to wear the hoops as of our current kits this would provide the most contrast. But Collingwood fans comprise a fair chunk of the anti-Prison Bar brigade so it'd sort of reaffirm the sentiments of them if we wore the hoops vs them. It's a bit of a weird situation.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Slightly off topic....

But Penrith and Cowboys last night were both in effing Pink

NRL going down the path of the AFL with their clash policy
Some things in the NRL are so stupid!!
we see all the time too with some clubs wearing light shorts with dark jumper or the opposite- where is the sense?!

rabbitoh21

Premiership Player
May 7, 2013
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Too many
we see all the time too with some clubs wearing light shorts with dark jumper or the opposite- where is the sense?!
Rugby (both codes) uses contrasting shorts more often than I think the AFL. It's a lot of the identity of clubs like the Bulldogs, Roosters and, further back, the Jets. It'd look wrong to see those clubs wearing full block colours.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Rugby (both codes) uses contrasting shorts more often than I think the AFL. It's a lot of the identity of clubs like the Bulldogs, Roosters and, further back, the Jets. It'd look wrong to see those clubs wearing full block colours.
How about their Away uniforms then?

Nov 20, 2011
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Portsmouth
I wish Manly would go back to their old kits with white shorts. Don't like their full maroon kits.

Slightly off topic....

But Penrith and Cowboys last night were both in effing Pink

NRL going down the path of the AFL with their clash policy
While the pink on the cowboys jersey looked good, there were no contrasting colours. I’m surprised the Cowboys didn’t go with their home jersey, replacing the navy with pink, because that’s jersey is a majority white.

Though from watching more games this season, I’ve noticed a trend of “kits” rather than the mix match of jumpers and shorts we see in the AFL.
I think that comes from the clubs history. North Adelaide in the SANFL wear white shirt with red V jumper.

rabbitoh21

Premiership Player
May 7, 2013
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Too many
How about their Away uniforms then?
Same thing. Take Manly for an example - their 80s kits were maroon jersey, white shorts and white jersey, maroon shorts. Roosters traditional kits are navy jersey, white shorts and white jersey, navy shorts. Anything else looks wrong to be honest in NRL context.

What a shock Essendon designated home team against Melbourne, the % is so high.

Is there a better opportunity than tomorrow for Geelong to give our clash jumper a run?

Oct 5, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Port Melbourne, Norwood, St George
I just noticed that Melbourne don't have the Zurich logo above their numbers on the back of their royal blue guernseys

Is there a better opportunity than tomorrow for Geelong to give our clash jumper a run?

I'd really, really, really like us to give the clash jumper a run at least once a year, every year: away to either the Suns or Swans (I wouldn't be against it at home to those side either)

As much as I like and respect our traditional home jumper, I do often become jealous of other teams who get to wear more than one jumper (aside from Indigenous Round)

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
What a shock Essendon designated home team against Melbourne, the % is so high.

I still don't see that full Melbourne home vs full Essendon clash would be a problem. Not much less white than full Melbourne home vs full Sydney home, it's just on the shorts.

Oct 5, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Port Melbourne, Norwood, St George
I'd really, really, really like us to give the clash jumper a run at least once a year, every year: away to either the Suns or Swans (I wouldn't be against it at home to those side either)

As much as I like and respect our traditional home jumper, I do often become jealous of other teams who get to wear more than one jumper (aside from Indigenous Round)
If this were the NRL, Geelong would be wearing it minimum 2 times a year

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
Blues in home/white is trash but they are one of the worst at wearing their clash jumper.

I can also make a pretty solid assumption that the Simpson retirement has a bit to do with it – they wanted him to be able to wear long sleeves and they wanted him to be able to wear the jumper most associated with his career.

Before anyone comes in and says that Carlton don’t usually wear their clash away to Brisbane – I don’t care. They absolutely should. The Carlton home/white combination is one we should rarely, if ever, be seeing now anyway.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
Blues in home/white is trash but they are one of the worst at wearing their clash jumper.

I can also make a pretty solid assumption that the Simpson retirement has a bit to do with it – they wanted him to be able to wear long sleeves and they wanted him to be able to wear the jumper most associated with his career.

Before anyone comes in and says that Carlton don’t usually wear their clash away to Brisbane – I don’t care. They absolutely should. The Carlton home/white combination is one we should rarely, if ever, be seeing now anyway.
They could keep the "traditional" home/white away vs Gold Coast and Hawthorn.
Which would be a switchup given nobody wears home/white vs Gold Coast!

magpiemaniac44

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
San Antonio, Melbourne Stars

It’s not to bad but agree Carlton are one of the worst in wearing their clash strip and if this gets ticked off why can’t adelaide and Melbourne wear navy away to Brisbane and fully navy away to west coast. This game is giving me Brendan fevola vibes from around 2010ish

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
It’s not to bad but agree Carlton are one of the worst in wearing their clash strip and if this gets ticked off why can’t adelaide and Melbourne wear navy away to Brisbane and fully navy away to west coast. This game is giving me Brendan fevola vibes from around 2010ish

Yep, reminds me of that final from 2009 when the Blues came back from a fair bit down at the last break!

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
The Sydney - Geelong game should have been the game where Sydney wear their South Melbourne jumper from the other week. Thus enabling (or forcing?) Geelong into their clash jumper.
Nah it would have been "Geelong have navy hoops and navy shorts, there's no issue"!

Back