Preview Round 18, 2020: St.Kilda v GWS - Gabba, Friday 18th September, 7:50PM AEST *MARSHALL 50TH*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 52 64.2%
  • Giants

Votes: 29 35.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
consider geary is dealing with
howard 61 games experience
clark 44
long 43
wilkie 38
coff 33
paton 32
then consider they have only been playing together for under 16 games.
and only a few without Jake as well.

And it sounds like ratts is demanding better.
should improve.
Consider how much better organized we were when Carlisle was in the side and Gears was playing forward.
The low number of games together didn't seem to matter a lick back then.

Ratts is just side stepping the obvious that Carlisle being out has rooted our structure, and Gears being there has rooted our rebounding capacity coz now the oppo can isolate him again like the whole of last season.

And before everyone jumps on me. I honestly don't care. It just is what it is.....

May 6, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Consider how much better organized we were when Carlisle was in the side and Gears was playing forward.
The low number of games together didn't seem to matter a lick back then.

Ratts is just side stepping the obvious that Carlisle being out has rooted our structure, and Gears being there has rooted our rebounding capacity coz now the oppo can isolate him again like the whole of last season.

And before everyone jumps on me. I honestly don't care. It just is what it is.....

How do you explain the performance against brisbane with geary and carlisle down there?

We played great that game

May 12, 2006
Lal Lal
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Elsternwick AFC
I don't know if many of our players have a skill though to be honest. Even Marshall is a good general player but he's kind of an all rounder. Good at everything but not amazing at one thing. King is amazing at dropping marks but has an incredible amount of goals for player of his age and experience. Lonie has a skill playing for frees, Kent is sort of like football porridge, a little bit same consistency all the way through but not sure if it's appetising etc.

Only joking, I like all those guys but the point I'm making is that having one discernible skill would make most of our players useless in footy.

Marshall is a very good contested mark, a good kick for goal and an excellent field kick for a man of his size.

King already is a very good ground level collector for a KPD, is good in traffic in general play and can be a good mark and kick.

Lonie has good sense in traffic and is a good field kick. Also has goal sense.

Kent's goal assist numbers are very good, so that is probably evidence of something. But as I have said of him, he could totally play in a premiership as an 18-22 type player, but he could also easily be the sort to be out of a side when it wins a premiership.

3:40 of the Ratts interview on the official website.

"Yeah we did go small against West Coast and we did pay a bit of a price for it, but some of our organisation behind the ball let us down as well. We had smalls on talls, and talls on smalls, and that's not the way to go about it"

Can I ask, whose fault is that? The coaching staff? The runners not getting messages of positional changes to the players quick enough? Or the on-field leadership (given we are talking about our defence - Geary?) not being vocal to switch players around?
Initial selection the coaches

In game the players

Anyone know how much Melbourne have to win by to jump us on the ladder if we lose?

I believe it is approximately a 48 point differential.

If we win - doesn't matter.

If we loose - the combined aggregate of our losing margin and their winning margin needs to be more than 48 for the Dees to jump us.

That being said, we would then likely travel to Perth to face the Eagles.

Needless to say, a win tomorrow solves all problems.

Can not wait!!!

Sep 12, 2013
Gladstone, QLD
AFL Club
St Kilda
I believe it is approximately a 48 point differential.

If we win - doesn't matter.

If we loose - the combined aggregate of our losing margin and their winning margin needs to be more than 48 for the Dees to jump us.

That being said, we would then likely travel to Perth to face the Eagles.

Needless to say, a win tomorrow solves all problems.

Can not wait!!!
Cheers bud

Sep 20, 2009
NSW
AFL Club
St Kilda
3:40 of the Ratts interview on the official website.

"Yeah we did go small against West Coast and we did pay a bit of a price for it, but some of our organisation behind the ball let us down as well. We had smalls on talls, and talls on smalls, and that's not the way to go about it"

Can I ask, whose fault is that? The coaching staff? The runners not getting messages of positional changes to the players quick enough? Or the on-field leadership (given we are talking about our defence - Geary?) not being vocal to switch players around?

The worst part is, Ratten says that in hindsight but everyone on here was saying it when the team was selected.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Love that Hanners is in. Exactly why we brought him in. Experienced and calm in games like this. Hope he proves to everyone he still has it and is instrumental in us getting the job done.

Glad he's in too, we badly need his class and experience in the midfield with Gresham and Jones out, it's a risk but a risk worth taking, hopefully it works out.

The worst part is, Ratten says that in hindsight but everyone on here was saying it when the team was selected.

Yeah Blind Freddy could see that we needed to play Carlisle against a tall West Coast forward line before the game, you didn't need hindsight to see that.

Hopefully he is selected tonight or I can see the problems with size mismatches happening, no doubt Riccardi will be back and with Cameron, Finlayson and Himmelberg already in their forward line we need another tall defender.

May 6, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda

He didn't leave carlisle out purely because he thought he wasn't in the best 22 to beat west coast.

Clearly jake was left out due to attitude issues, and ratts picked a lineup which was the best he could muster without him.

Of course in the washup he's not gonna come out and blab at a press conference that jake wasn't in because he was spending a week in the naughty corner.
That would humiliate jake and throw him under a bus for the media to jump all over him.

So of course ratts played a straight bat and simply said the lineup wasn't right 'in hindsight'.

That kills the issue and the media go off sniffing for another story elsewhere

St Kilda have lost 4 of their last 6 matches. There were a few close margins (2pts, 3 pts) and there were a few disappointing performances (Geelong, WCE).

I think this season has been a real learning experience for our players. They have played a different style of footy - a more exciting brand with good success - and with that success comes analysts who have found ways to negate our strengths. How much have we learned from those losses? One thing for sure is the hurt that the players feel after such a loss. The sense of lost opportunity, of having let themselves down, their team mates down and the staff and fans down. All of that hurts.

GWS need to win and by a huge margin in order to play finals. I suspect that even if they beat us they will miss out.

If we can keep the game close for the first half or so, they will realise that they will not be playing finals. St Kilda will have everything to play for and GWS will just be making up the numbers. I think we will run over the top of GWS and waltz into 6th place with WB sneaking into 7th place and Collingwood taking the final spot.

If I'm right we will be shaping up against WB to renew an old rivalry in our first final.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
St Kilda have lost 4 of their last 6 matches. There were a few close margins (2pts, 3 pts) and there were a few disappointing performances (Geelong, WCE).

I think this season has been a real learning experience for our players. They have played a different style of footy - a more exciting brand with good success - and with that success comes analysts who have found ways to negate our strengths. How much have we learned from those losses? One thing for sure is the hurt that the players feel after such a loss. The sense of lost opportunity, of having let themselves down, their team mates down and the staff and fans down. All of that hurts.

GWS need to win and by a huge margin in order to play finals. I suspect that even if they beat us they will miss out.

If we can keep the game close for the first half or so, they will realise that they will not be playing finals. St Kilda will have everything to play for and GWS will just be making up the numbers. I think we will run over the top of GWS and waltz into 6th place with WB sneaking into 7th place and Collingwood taking the final spot.

If I'm right we will be shaping up against WB to renew an old rivalry in our first final.
If you're right, then it's gonna be a good game to watch and probably our best chance to win a final.
Both teams will back their styles and it would be a free running open game. Sounds fab to me..

Crusty Undies

This means peace here!
Oct 22, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
How do you explain the performance against brisbane with geary and carlisle down there?

We played great that game
Carlisle was still there. That's the point he's the defensive general despite the fact he was playing in the same area as our captain and as soon as he's not there we fall apart despite our captain still being there.

kernelT

Can go any club
Aug 15, 2010
Chiraq
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Louis Slungpue
He didn't leave carlisle out purely because he thought he wasn't in the best 22 to beat west coast.

Clearly jake was left out due to attitude issues, and ratts picked a lineup which was the best he could muster without him.

Of course in the washup he's not gonna come out and blab at a press conference that jake wasn't in because he was spending a week in the naughty corner.
That would humiliate jake and throw him under a bus for the media to jump all over him.

So of course ratts played a straight bat and simply said the lineup wasn't right 'in hindsight'.

That kills the issue and the media go off sniffing for another story elsewhere
Even if Jake ate the pangolin that brought COVID into humans… a C grade KPD would have been better than what we've been fielding against tall forward lines.

Austin, Joyce, Clavarino… no point having them on the list if we won't play them when we're desperate for a tall defender.

I hope this attitude shift is potentially worth missing the finals for, because Jake's trade value will have also tanked in the process.

Last edited:
If you're right, then it's gonna be a good game to watch and probably our best chance to win a final.
Both teams will back their styles and it would be a free running open game. Sounds fab to me..
We beat them in Rd 2 88 to 40
We could be up against Brisbane in the next final (if they lose to Richmond) we know we can match it with them if not we'd be up against Richmond who we also beat earlier this year Rd 4 93 to 67
Then we would most likely be up against Port who we also beat this year Rd 8 73 to 44
Then we would find ourselves in the Grand Final (I suspect against Richmond ...)

Who knows - it could be our year after all.

SaintJunior

All Australian
Mar 13, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
The worry is GWS natural ability, which they have not shown much this season but don’t want them playing on natural instincts.

Watching then against Melbourne they appear to structure up poorly defensively and we may be able to get out the back. They don’t play the maintain possession game like teams we have struggled against.

Their ball movement has been quite conservative but they need to win and win well which is dangerous as they will play on ability but it will also open up chances if we defend well and put pressure on them.

Melbourne got the spread from the contest , not sure if we can with Jones out.

As posted elsewhere if we are in front or it is close hopefully GWS our the que in the rack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back