Autopsy Round 18, 2020: St.Kilda v GWS *MARSHALL 50TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Congrats Saints fans, I’ve got a soft spot for you guys as the rest of my family follow the Sainters. Enjoy the ride. Also top job keeping the Giants to 3 goals in their final game for the second year running :D

We will not stop winning until people like you hate our guts

Rewatched this game during the week. Couple of things I'd like to comment on:

Coff was very good - his intercept marking and kicking was sublime. The whole backline functioned well - at 1 stage GWS had 3 entries in a row intercepted by Coff, Long and Wilkie.

I think Carlilse doesn't seem to be moving well, earlier in the year looked to be moving better than ever but seems pretty ginger to me. In saying that he really improves our structure. He seems to protect the area around the top of the square and GWS never wanted to kick it near him forcing them to kick wide into the pockets and releasing our interceptors in Long, Wilkie and Coff and Doogs to be able to cut across with a defensive spoil or mark.

Clark so good in tight, seems to often somehow get a handball or kick to someone while being tackled in congestion. Played better than I first thought.

Pumped for the 1st final in 9!!

Rewatched this game during the week. Couple of things I'd like to comment on:

Coff was very good - his intercept marking and kicking was sublime. The whole backline functioned well - at 1 stage GWS had 3 entries in a row intercepted by Coff, Long and Wilkie.

I think Carlilse doesn't seem to be moving well, earlier in the year looked to be moving better than ever but seems pretty ginger to me. In saying that he really improves our structure. He seems to protect the area around the top of the square and GWS never wanted to kick it near him forcing them to kick wide into the pockets and releasing our interceptors in Long, Wilkie and Coff and Doogs to be able to cut across with a defensive spoil or mark.

Clark so good in tight, seems to often somehow get a handball or kick to someone while being tackled in congestion. Played better than I first thought.

Pumped for the 1st final in 9!!
Agreed on Clark, also we underrate how strong he is, he is always abe to get a disposal away and somehow get it to advantage. I hope he gets shredded over the off season as he could be x factor next year in the midfield.

Agreed on Clark, also we underrate how strong he is, he is always abe to get a disposal away and somehow get it to advantage. I hope he gets shredded over the off season as he could be x factor next year in the midfield.
agree - much stronger than he looks. Will be a powerful mid one day

Just quietly, while Butler (rightly) gets talked about as ‘recruit of the year’, how bloody good as Dougal Howard been?

The mad bast@rd just does.... not.... get.... beaten. Never gives up a chase. Hates losing, both individually and as a team. Makes good decisions. Quick, strong, agile and tough.

He’s already one of the best defenders in the AFL. He’ll be AA in the next few years.

One of the best recruits for any side in recent years. So, so good.
"HAOW GOOD WAS HOWARD?"
in Bruce MacAvaney's "hard" voice

Awesome loop for the Saints 2020 dance jam remix

Just been watching the replay. Hill had a brilliant game. Seems to be finding form.

Sprinting off into the distance late in the last. Finding the right spots and our guys very keen to get it to him. Seems to be clicking.

If he has a cracking game next week we'll all look back on his year pretty different heh. Here's hoping.

Sprinting off into the distance late in the last. Finding the right spots and our guys very keen to get it to him. Seems to be clicking.

If he has a cracking game next week we'll all look back on his year pretty different heh. Here's hoping.

His last three weeks seem to be ramping up. I thought demanding the ball early in that game and calmly slotting a goal was a big statement too. He's missed a few of those and I thought it was brave. Also went up and did the interviews and media commitments and took some of the pressure off the rest of them. I've been his harshest critic but he's starting to repay the faith. When the pressure came in the match his run just provides get out options and he's happy to hold the ball and run to give time for players up ahead to move into space.

I don’t think Hill forgot how to play football. He’s shown over multiple years that he was a quality player but as soon as he had a few quiet games THE TRADE IS A FAIL. Deep breaths people.

I don’t think Hill forgot how to play football. He’s shown over multiple years that he was a quality player but as soon as he had a few quiet games THE TRADE IS A FAIL. Deep breaths people.
Nobody said the trade was a failure, but it is fair to say that Hill didn’t show much for the entire year except in the last game where he turned it on. For the money he’s on, his year hasn’t been great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People in the know have said time and time again that Hill's big strength is the longer a quarter goes on he keeps going. Short quarters was never going to be his best environment

People in the know have said time and time again that Hill's big strength is the longer a quarter goes on he keeps going. Short quarters was never going to be his best environment
That may well be true, and I hope it is, but it seems strange to me that if shorter quarters are the thing that's held him back, that he has had so many second half fade outs. It's gotten better over the last month or so, but for lots of the year, he's had good first halves before completely fading out of the game.

That may well be true, and I hope it is, but it seems strange to me that if shorter quarters are the thing that's held him back, that he has had so many second half fade outs. It's gotten better over the last month or so, but for lots of the year, he's had good first halves before completely fading out of the game.
I think a big part of it was that our players weren't used to playing with a player like Hill and using him correctly. He is a very proactive player and keeps on the move running passed players for a handball or leading for players which opens up space and angles. I'm actually thinking the way he plays will be a great influence on our other young players

No surprise that as the season moved on that Hill got better, players starting to get fatigued, Hill doesn't.
16 minute qtrs haven't suited him, also it takes some players a season to settle and players to get used to him and his style of play.

Starting to come together for Hill at the Saints.

No surprise that as the season moved on that Hill got better, players starting to get fatigued, Hill doesn't.
16 minute qtrs haven't suited him, also it takes some players a season to settle and players to get used to him and his style of play.

Starting to come together for Hill at the Saints.

Yeah this is a tough one I agree.

I'm gonna go with him not finding synergy with his team mates until later in the season due to the shorter quarters. We're at the end of a season which was 5 games shorter and each quarter was 20% shorter meaning that he's realistically had only 13-14 proper length matches to work with.

Of course we're still making excuses for him cos it didn't take Butler or Jones that long to start getting BOG's...Although an inside beast and crumbing forward perhaps rely less on their team mates to do their job.

Either way this trade will be judged on the rest of his career - not the first 17 games.

I think a big part of it was that our players weren't used to playing with a player like Hill and using him correctly. He is a very proactive player and keeps on the move running passed players for a handball or leading for players which opens up space and angles. I'm actually thinking the way he plays will be a great influence on our other young players

I think we probably chased him with Richo's game plan in mind too. Ratts seems to like a very direct game plan with lots of kick mark rather than holding the ball for any period of time. Hill's best qualities are under utilised that way.

I think we probably chased him with Richo's game plan in mind too. Ratts seems to like a very direct game plan with lots of kick mark rather than holding the ball for any period of time. Hill's best qualities are under utilised that way.

Oh mate Richo was gone the second we hired Ratten as an “assistant”. Nobody will ever be able to convince me otherwise! ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back