Autopsy Round 18, 2020: St.Kilda v GWS *MARSHALL 50TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Q 2 6 min rem

Geary does a wonderful attacking tap to keep the ball in play when the easiest thing would be to play it safe and knock it over the line.

Butler marks in the middle, 5+ metres in the clear… GWS player enters and wraps his arms around Butler to stop him from playing on - a clear 50M penalty.

BT

"Man on the mark was good, he was all over him, made sure he went nowhere"

Q 2. 12.58 rem.

Heath Shaw really close to ending Butlers career with a deliberate sliding leg breaker…

BT
“Shaw just wanted to go more now… he’s been penalised for taking his feet.

Duck (voice of reason)
“That’s why the rule came in.”

Daisy
“Professional free kick I think too, I think it was a good attempt from Shaw to hold play up."

BT
“Yep agree”

Ummm… no that's not a good attempt.

So frustrating listening to them, they genuinely have no idea. Not a huge Duck fan but he is more sensible than anyone else in that commentary box. Will be watching our first final with the TV on mute I think!

As per usual if anyone over the age of about 29 has a poor season they get written off by many as "past it", but just like how you can have a poor year at say 25yo and bounce back the following year, you can likewise bounce back even after 30 and have a good one.

Especially if you lose 7kg of what in hindsight was obviously excess bulk that you didn't need to be carrying around!

I was thinking similar about Seb Ross, granted he is only 27 not 30 but he has been asked to play a totally different role this year as more of a tagger, maybe next year he will be able to play that negating role and get more of the ball and be more
damaging consistently too.

There is no reason he can’t reinvent himself in that role as he has shown previously he can be a high possession player. A bit like how Steele would go to a Cripps a few years ago but actually come out almost even in terms of impact and possessions.

Last edited:
Just re-watching myself…

Late in the 1st - Lonie clearly injured, hobbling around and fortunately takes a diving mark from what would have been deliberate if not marked…

BT carrying on like an absolute cabbage

"Have a look at this, Brad Hill desperately trying to say he's injured and "I'll take the kick", and he's talked the umpire into it…

I think a very, very good decision by Lonie to give the ball to this man…

What a trasnfer of the free kick

So smart thinking by Hill, to get over there, I think he almost talked Lonie into going off the field as well, which was the right thing to do."

:oops:

Where do you even start with that rubbish?

Lonie was in the hands of the trainer and could barely stand on his own and had to go off the ground, Hill was clearly the closest player so takes the kick as per the rules.
you do need to take BT with a grain of salt, he's the village idiot with a microphone and he plays it pretty well imo, the least of our worries.. darcy and brayshaw on the other hand.. f me

Hill lead us in metres gained again. Pretty sure that’s four out of the last five games he’s done it now. He’s not at his best still, but he’s an important part of the side and gives us good drive. His kick to Kent to open up the ground was a beauty.

Has built on each of his past few games, definitely coming good at the right time.
His (Lonie) goal was a thing of beauty. I wasn’t convinced he was going to thread it.

Just re-watching myself…

Late in the 1st - Lonie clearly injured, hobbling around and fortunately takes a diving mark from what would have been deliberate if not marked…

BT carrying on like an absolute cabbage

"Have a look at this, Brad Hill desperately trying to say he's injured and "I'll take the kick", and he's talked the umpire into it…

I think a very, very good decision by Lonie to give the ball to this man…

What a trasnfer of the free kick

So smart thinking by Hill, to get over there, I think he almost talked Lonie into going off the field as well, which was the right thing to do."

:oops:

Where do you even start with that rubbish?

Lonie was in the hands of the trainer and could barely stand on his own and had to go off the ground, Hill was clearly the closest player so takes the kick as per the rules.

BT is a peanut. The whole commentary crew were pretty annoying except for Daisy Pearce.

She was the only one on the commentary team that mostly gave pretty good analysis and insight when she spoke.

BT also called Heath Shaw, Rhyce a couple of times.

A few players that I was really impressed with apart from the obvious ones:
- Long. He stood up after a poor game last week, impacted the contest hard, great at tapping it and marking the ball and set up some really important attacks.
- Coffield. Outstanding again, reading the play, marking and setting up attack.
- Butler. Really really dangerous. When we force a turnover he looks so deadly.
- Howard. That run down to spoil the ball was at a crucial time.
- Paton. Killed Greene.
- Ryder. Destroyed Mumford.
- Battle. Very important role on Haynes and kicked a massive goal. Good option for the marking players that have killed us lately (McGovern, May etc).
- Hill. He was so important. Ran his guts out, kicked a vital goal, just looked to step up.
- King. Stepped up in the second half.
- Ross. HUGE game from him. Was our second best mid I thought.
- Kent. Looked really nervous early on but he kept running and presenting as a half forward and I thought he did well.

BT is a peanut. The whole commentary crew are annoying except for Daisy Pearce.

She was the only one on the commentary team that gives good analysis and insight when she speaks.

Her analysis might be good but her voice is like nails on a chalkboard.

This might be an unpopular opinion but Eddie McGuire is my favourite commentator, has a great feel for the game and he pumps us up when he does our games.

Eddie loves all the old VFL teams and hates the interstate teams, he even barracks for Carlton against the interstaters.

If we played West Coast at Etihad and we got a bad decision against us he'd be like "Listen to those Saints fans booing like it's the old Animal Enclosure".

Hill lead us in metres gained again. Pretty sure that’s four out of the last five games he’s done it now. He’s not at his best still, but he’s an important part of the side and gives us good drive. His kick to Kent to open up the ground was a beauty.
Hill could be primed for a good finals series

And come 2021 under the roof with full quarters we will see how good he will be for us.

A lot to be excited about for us Saints fans in the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember on about three occasions during the match seeing a flash go across the screen and thinking wtf was that?! I just finished watching the replay and found out it was Longy. That lad certainly ain't a plodder, like Spinaltap's amps, he goes to 11.

Took a great diving mark towards the end of the 3rd quarter and gave the settle down call, then he got a 50 for a GWS player doing something stupid.

He used to be the one doing something stupid and giving away a 50, a sign that he's really maturing as a player, he is turning into a leader down back.

3bc20f5e477e3990702a449d237fa538.jpg
Haynes trying to run away from Battle so he could get a kick

I thought lonies pressure was good also!
A few players that I was really impressed with apart from the obvious ones:
- Long. He stood up after a poor game last week, impacted the contest hard, great at tapping it and marking the ball and set up some really important attacks.
- Coffield. Outstanding again, reading the play, marking and setting up attack.
- Butler. Really really dangerous. When we force a turnover he looks so deadly.
- Howard. That run down to spoil the ball was at a crucial time.
- Paton. Killed Greene.
- Ryder. Destroyed Mumford.
- Battle. Very important role on Haynes and kicked a massive goal. Good option for the marking players that have killed us lately (McGovern, May etc).
- Hill. He was so important. Ran his guts out, kicked a vital goal, just looked to step up.
- King. Stepped up in the second half.
- Ross. HUGE game from him. Was our second best mid I thought.
- Kent. Looked really nervous early on but he kept running and presenting as a half forward and I thought he did well.

On SM-G980F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thing I like about Hill of late, is he is finally getting his hands dirty, by tackling & harassing opposition players.
That was my only gripe about him earliier in the season, I thought he was too soft.
Now I’m starting to see why we paid the big moolah for him, can see him going up an extra notch in the next month.

Wow, that was great... I think. I've just finished watching the replay to make sure it wasn't just have a wet dream I had last night. I tried posting after the game but I was too pissed to post properly. I did have a go at it but my wife looked over my shoulder and said, "WTF is that supposed to say." So I went to bed.

I've read all the Autopsy thread just now and concur with most comments posted. Just a few random thoughts of my own. There's no need for me to add to the bromance for Steele and Marshall. Captain and VC next year thanks.

A shout out to Battle. Did an outstanding job on Haynes. Rooey said after the game that it was the first time in Haynes's career that he hasn't taken an intercept mark. Unbelievable if true.

Ryder was awesome. Like many I couldn't see how his inclusion wouldn't hold Marshall back. Wrong. They're the best 1-2 ruck combo going around. Ryder's ability to jump at the centre bounces is huge at negating the other ruckman.

Despite all the love for him on here before the game Carlisle was our worst player. He seemed either unfit or down on confidence. It was difficult at time to know who he was supposed to be playing on.

That said I still think he must play. At his best he's in our top dozen players and his inclusion aids our structure in two ways. Firstly, it makes opposition teams go wide knowing we have the twin towers back there in Howard and Carlisle ready to spoil. A bit like the impact McGovern has for the Eagles. Secondly and even more importantly it frees up Coffield and Wilkie to play their intercept games and not worry about playing on a taller opponent. In assessing Carlisle's impact last night (not his own stats) we should consider that GWS only scored 30 points. That's a big tick for the defence structure.

Personally, I don't care how few possessions our defenders get if we keep the opposition to a losing score.

Haven't been a Lonie lover but willing to finally concede that the Butler-Lonie combo is our best small forward option. They are both super dangerous when given a bit of space and seem to work well together. Their defensive efforts are also excellent.

I'm repeating myself here but rapt that Sinclair has finally grasped his opportunity. He just seems physically stronger now and able to shrug tackles. He's no longer a liability in close and he's always been a creative link player.

Clark is an unreal talent. Skill wise he's probably our best pick up in a decade. I have noticed lately though that teams are wising up to him selling them candy and some of his party tricks. Maybe he needs to mix it up a little and occasionally give it off the first time. Definitely not a knock on him though.

Again this is a repeat observation but some on here have just got to cut the likes of Ross, Billings and Membrey some slack. For so long they have been at the top end of out talent pool and we have relied on them to win us games. Now they have slipped down the order with the influx of new talent. They are all still best 22 but all have refined roles and and are having to adjust to playing a little around the "edges". If players like Membrey and Ross are now in our 15th-22nd players picked it just shows how much we've improved.

Finally, there seems an acceptance on here by some that we are playing the Pies in the Finals week one. Personally, I reckon its 70-30 we play the Dogs. I hope so because we are 2 from 2 against the Dogs under Ratts.

If a little tear crept into your eye during the club song you didn't have to say to anyone watching. "I've got something in my eye." Sainters are allowed to cry after 9 years of sh*te.
Carlisle certainly didn’t set the world on fire but neither did his opponent. Him holding down a key post allowed Wilkie an Coff to be more influential, particularly Coff who was at his intercepting best.

Roma's 3rd quarter:

8 disposals
6 marks (2 contested)
1 goal
He just went to another level. To have a ruckman who can genuinely be a threat up forward is invaluable. And he would be one of the few in the comp who can actually do it as well.

The way we use him and Ryder together has been so good. It looked like Ryder took the majority of the ruck contests in the first half then Marshall took more in the 2nd half once Mummy was tired and was able to clear the ball himself multiple times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back