Autopsy Round 18, 2020: St.Kilda v GWS *MARSHALL 50TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Thing I like about Hill of late, is he is finally getting his hands dirty, by tackling & harassing opposition players.
That was my only gripe about him earliier in the season, I thought he was too soft.
Now I’m starting to see why we paid the big moolah for him, can see him going up an extra notch in the next month.

Hill just realising these games matter now so he's pulling his fingers out. His performance next week will go a long way to justifying what we paid for him. Both trade wise and salary. Hanners too. Although him playing and helping us get into finals probably done enough tbh! Loved that we benched him when the game was iced. I'll take 55% game time all finals series.
He just went to another level. To have a ruckman who can genuinely be a threat up forward is invaluable. And he would be one of the few in the comp who can actually do it as well.

The way we use him and Ryder together has been so good. It looked like Ryder took the majority of the ruck contests in the first half then Marshall took more in the 2nd half once Mummy was tired and was able to clear the ball himself multiple times.

Good spot. I didn't see how it worked start of the year (I think most were concerned here tbh) but wow that's some good tasting humble cake. Ryder just has moments of sheer brilliance. I haven't seen anyone post that gif oh him using his foot to get a hit out to advantage? I'll go find it. He kicks important goals, regularly. And Roma is something else. Only 50 games under his belt too. His upper limit is absurd.

I'm a massive Jake fan, but he didn't look right physically last night at one stage at least and he only had 1 effective disposal, so he'd be on shaky ground if there's not a great matchup.
Considering most people on here wanted jake back in, it would be difficult to leave him out.

I like that we've got the confidence to let Doogs take kickouts as well. He's a good kick and gets good penetration.

Not sure what was going on in that preseason game when he kept kicking it OOF!
Yes I remember people on here were like he can't kick, why did we get him

Kent's physical efforts earlier in the game did open it up for others- he faded, but should get another game. Hard to change a team that won one of our most important games in recent history. Jones might have to wait.
Ha ha , Jones won't wait.
Lucky it's not us that has to make decision

The AFL will want to maximise attendances in round 1. I‘d be surprised if we didn’t get a home game first up.
Besides all of the other good things, The one good thing about bein the finals is that we will have a better tv games , more Fri night or Sat night. Although harder games.

Battles goal was buddy-esque

It was the most laconic 50m goal I've seen in quite a while ... made it look incredibly easy, but we all know it wasn't ... made it look like a crumbing snap from 10m out.

Really love what Battle brings to our team - he's got a bit of old school about him, with an elite modern-day tank.

He just went to another level. To have a ruckman who can genuinely be a threat up forward is invaluable. And he would be one of the few in the comp who can actually do it as well.

The way we use him and Ryder together has been so good. It looked like Ryder took the majority of the ruck contests in the first half then Marshall took more in the 2nd half once Mummy was tired and was able to clear the ball himself multiple times.
And thats why he should not be pigeon holed as a "ruckman". Last years without doubt he was our best ruckman but his capacity to play forward is way ahead of the likes of Grundy and Gawn that makes him a completely different player.

Melbourne struggle with Gawn and Preuss in the same side because neither of them are really great forward but if Jackson comes on like I'd expect they will become a very formidable combo.

Last edited:
It was the most laconic 50m goal I've seen in quite a while ... made it look incredibly easy, but we all know it wasn't ... made it look like a crumbing snap from 10m out.

Really love what Battle brings to our team - he's got a bit of old school about him, with an elite modern-day tank.

A bit Buddy-esque I thought.

Hill just realising these games matter now so he's pulling his fingers out. His performance next week will go a long way to justifying what we paid for him. Both trade wise and salary. Hanners too. Although him playing and helping us get into finals probably done enough tbh! Loved that we benched him when the game was iced. I'll take 55% game time all finals series.

Good spot. I didn't see how it worked start of the year (I think most were concerned here tbh) but wow that's some good tasting humble cake. Ryder just has moments of sheer brilliance. I haven't seen anyone post that gif oh him using his foot to get a hit out to advantage? I'll go find it. He kicks important goals, regularly. And Roma is something else. Only 50 games under his belt too. His upper limit is absurd.

I posted at the start of the season that the acquisition of Paddy would force Roma evolve his game. He always had the talent to be a very good key forward so if he could add that to his development as a ruckman/ great round the ground player then we’d have something really special.

Glad I was right.

It probably doesn’t quite make up for all the other things I’ve got wrong (Mark McGough winning a B&F probably the most glaring) but happy to finally claim one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I knew he could play I just couldn't see how he wouldn't stall Roma's progress. He's turned them into an incredible duo instead. The guy is quiet and humble off field but plays like a demon when there is something to play for. Port were nuts for letting him go and bringing Lycett in to play predominantly in the ruck. It's like replacing a magnum with a water pistol.

Looks like he's got a bit left in the tank, too ... with luck, by the time he's finished, he'll have brought along Jack Bell or Alabakis to the point they can caddy for Roma while he tears the league apart.

My wife and I trekked to the top of Bluff Knoll near Albany yesterday in honor of a friend of hers who is terminally ill. I wore my Saints fleecy as a support and we both enjoyed our win immensely last night with sore legs. Tonight we are going to the appropriately named Rats Bar in Albany to celebrate in style. Congratulations to all Saints supporters for sticking fat over the years and I feel we are building to something special in the next few years. The team song last night is an indication of unity in our club and augurs well for the future. Go Saints and go all Sainters.
Great job mate!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it just me or has Hill put on extra muscle

He definitely looks more cut this year. He had twig arms at Freo. Savage looks in incredible condition too. They look like they are having a race to get the biggest arms by the end of the year.

And thats why he should not be pigeon holed as a "ruckman". Last years without doubt he was our best ruckman but his capacity to play forward is way ahead of the likes of Grundy and Gawn that makes him a completely different player.

Melbourne struggle with Gawn and Preuss in the same side because neither of them are really great forward but if Jackson comes on like I'd expect they will become a very formidable combo.
The other thing is Marshal is a genuinely elite field kick, not just for a ruckman. Hits 45's, weihts his kicks, keeps them low, he has all the tools, I think we should just use him where ever we need him in th moment, whether its ruck/forwar/back

Hills smoother proof in point...

One of the things I liked about our game was that we had ten goalkickers. If we have that sort of contribution consistently we’ll trouble anyone.
I am loving this. And when Max has break-out game next week and kicks six, everyone will pay more attention to him, including the umpires. Expect him to kick three goals every week just from free kicks. Kaboom!

Something wonderful is about to happen...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back