Autopsy Round 18, 2020: The Stratton and Poppy show dials down the Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

Swans 3 goals up against the pussies in the 3rd. Could think of nothing better than watching Geelong lose the double chance or Geelong lose any game for that matter and us hanging onto our 3rd pick.

Dylan Moore was very impressive playing as a high half forward. Just kept running and linking up. Definitely has a place in our side.
I still think he might get the chop, considering lost sizes are falling but we obviously all saw what he might be capable of if we think he’s worth another year.

Fingers crossed for him.

Another random thought on the game. Had to laugh at Izak Rankine's theatrics after his goal. Finger-pointing and carrying on like his team had a ten goal lead and he had 5 of his own. I guess one shouldn't be too hard on a young guy with a bit of flair as it's probably what GC needs although if his career goes anywhere past history probably indicates it won't be with the Suns.🤔

Such an amazing way to send off 2 of our club legends that provided us a 3-peat and so many great moments. I desperately wanted pick 3, but the footage of Stratts kicking the goal and the reaction from Clarko and all the players and coaching staff put a massive smile on my face. That moment in itself epitomizes our great club and is worth so much more than 1 pick higher up in the draft.

As for the game, it was the best way to end what has been an extremely disappointing year. However, we should not forget (and even more importantly, the coaching staff should not be blinded about where our list is at) that we had a very similar final game performance last year against a stronger side on their home ground. In fact, our performance in the last round last year was better than today's. We started off the season with very high hopes and we all know what happened in 2020...

Lets enjoy this win, enjoy watching the replay...but remember we need to be ruthless during trade period, and bring in a lot of young & talented players from trades/free agency, and more importantly IMO, from the draft! GO HAWKS! I love this club :heart:

I just want to turn the clock back to the draft 2010. I had watched Puopolo play 68 games for my SANFL club Norwood and knew what he was capable of. The word at the time was Western Bulldogs were interested in him. When I heard he'd been drafted by the Hawks at 66, I was rapt.

I came into BigFooty that evening, wish I knew how to find old threads, but people were asking about this new guy we'd drafted at 66. At the same time, people were also worried that losing Campbell Brown to Gold Coast would rob the team of much needed aggression. I posted something like once people got a look at Puopolo, they'd be asking "Campbell who?".

He missed selection for the first 5 games, then he finally got his chance against Port Adelaide at Football Park. It was Isaac Smith's debut as well, and after winning the game I walked away comfortable with the thought we'd unearthed a couple of great players in the future.

We brought in Luke Breust the following week against St.Kilda. How many times does a team introduce players of that quality within 1 week?

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks to Poppy for all the excitement he gave me over the years, and all the best in retirement. I wonder if he may see his way clear to play one more year for my beloved Norwood?

Another random thought on the game. Had to laugh at Izak Rankine's theatrics after his goal. Finger-pointing and carrying on like his team had a ten goal lead and he had 5 of his own. I guess one shouldn't be too hard on a young guy with a bit of flair as it's probably what GC needs although if his career goes anywhere past history probably indicates it won't be with the Suns.🤔

Rankine is a great player with an incredibly high ceiling but every time I’ve watched a GC game this year he comes across as a massive flog.

Swans 3 goals up against the pussies in the 3rd. Could think of nothing better than watching Geelong lose the double chance or Geelong lose any game for that matter and us hanging onto our 3rd pick.
Would top off a great day. Fingers crossed.

No, I don't think that's being harsh. I haven't seen much of Rankine playing for Gold Coast, but I watched him play for West Adelaide in the SANFL. My assessment of him was definitely an AFL talent, but a selfish player who puts himself ahead of team. Unless he learns the team ethic, he may struggle.

I’ll put my hand up. Early on in the game I was feeling so confused that we would upset our draft situation and wasn’t getting excited as the Suns were so poor..

But in the end what a result! So much love for Poppy and Stratts and the culture a win like that demonstrated is worth more than any draft pick could offer- unbelievable effort from the club!
In the same boat and not ashamed to say it either.

Forgot how valuable a win like that can be , was great viewing no matter what the opposition dished up.

If we cant nail a decent player at the pick we get anyway , well fool us .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That win may have cost us pick 4 instead of pick 3... however it’s send offs like that which make us an attractive club for potential trades / delisted free agents which I believe will outweigh a top 3 pick
Also, young players like Moore, Day, Greaves and Scrimshaw showed a lot. What is the point of tanking for a better pick to get young players with potential, when we have young players on our list who are actually playing well and contributing to the team.

My question to the people who wanted us to lose today to get us a higher draft pick:

If we had of had a pick in between 3-5 last year and still chosen Will Day would you be upset?

I personally think he’s been as good as any first round draftee from last year with exception of Rowell who only played a handful of games.

My point being our recruiters seem to know what they are doing and we will more than likely end up with gun with our first pick.

Great game to be at, very proud of the team.

Moore has a great game, although I don’t think he’d make a premiership team. A good squad player.

Greaves was very solid. Not flashy, but solid.

Scrim, Hardwick, Frost will be in the next premiership backline.

We need a KPB to replace McEvoy. I’m hoping we can somehow snag Reid.

Lewis can be our CHF, but is not a FF. Mis-reads it at FF. Is better at creating space on the HFF. Definitely think we need Patton at FF to make the forward line excel.

Love Burgoyne in the forward line in the first half. Went back in the second, which was disappointing.

Wingard had a stinker, but I have faith.

Frawley looked slow, but has a deft touch still.

Mentioned it before - never trade Breust or Gunston. They stand out with their class.

Hope Jeager has a big preseason. He seemed totally out of sorts. Mitchell needs help around the packs.

Shiels was awesome. Captain material.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Great game to be at, very proud of the team.

Moore has a great game, although I don’t think he’d make a premiership team. A good squad player.

Greaves was very solid. Not flashy, but solid.

Scrim, Hardwick, Frost will be in the next premiership backline.

We need a KPB to replace McEvoy. I’m hoping we can somehow snag Reid.

Lewis can be our CHF, but is not a FF. Mis-reads it at FF. Is better at creating space on the HFF. Definitely think we need Patton at FF to make the forward line excel.

Love Burgoyne in the forward line in the first half. Went back in the second, which was disappointing.

Wingard had a stinker, but I have faith.

Frawley looked slow, but has a deft touch still.

Mentioned it before - never trade Breust or Gunston. They stand out with their class.

Hope Jeager has a big preseason. He seemed totally out of sorts. Mitchell needs help around the packs.

Shiels was awesome. Captain material.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Sam Reid ? Please tell me you are joking

Who is the one journo that kept pushing the list changes to clarko and then at the end asked about Jack Gunston. Sounded like a kid on work experience. Clarko was very close to barreling him with the look he gave him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back