Autopsy Round 18, 2020: The Stratton and Poppy show dials down the Suns

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Spot on, our fwd line is still a joke. Hope Patton has a monster pre season. Finn would of played good against this rabble , shouldn’t of been dropped
If we had of played finn instead of Moore, we wouldn’t know what Moore could potentially offer us next year if we get our running game going.

Gliggin

Debutant
Apr 17, 2017
London
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Grrrr...every ******* thread has turned into a draft thread. :mad:

I hate what this game has become.

Cannot we just enjoy sending two club champions off in style in this thread?
Fixed it.

Grrrr...every ******* thread has someone who just can’t enjoy a great win and champion send off.

I hate what some supporters have become.:mad:

Cannot we just enjoy sending two club champions off in style and also get excited for next season in this thread?

Cheer up mate.

Burtman

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Moore went at 88% disposal efficiency, sure he had a kick or two miss, but the numbers say he was fairly effective with a majority of his touches. Also had 7 score involvements, a goal and a goal assist. Had 25 touches and covered more ground than any hawthorn player and ran the most at top speed out of any player on the ground. We have to remember he’s only played 10 games and he’s produced one of the best performances by one of our youngsters this year

Jul 21, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Thank you Poppy and Strats for all the joy you have given me over the years and thanks for being vital cogs in our 3peat. I would have given both nuts just to have Strats and Birch miked up during games. Just watched the clip of Poppy effort to get the ball in the 2013 GF 4th qrt, inspirational. Club legends both. For a team that doesn't have much depth I'm pretty pumped about our youngsters. Day and co, there are a few future club legends me thinks!

PhatHQ

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2015
Newcastle
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Moore went at 88% disposal efficiency, sure he had a kick or two miss, but the numbers say he was fairly effective with a majority of his touches. Also had 7 score involvements, a goal and a goal assist. Had 25 touches and covered more ground than any hawthorn player and ran the most at top speed out of any player on the ground. We have to remember he’s only played 10 games and he’s produced one of the best performances by one of our youngsters this year
The kid can play. Just needed to be Afl ready

Aug 31, 2006
A state of delusion
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Surely not one person can be upset if we do fall back one spot in the draft after that. I for one have a massive smile on my face. Great way to end the year

Don't bet anything on that. Our board is full of miserable suck holes. Sure the usual suspects are still spitting chips about Hawthorn winning.

And of course the suck hole brigade, you all know them, will be bitching about us winning... BUT if we had lost, they'd be bitching about us losing.

Enjoyed today
I know there’s some annoyed about the draft but I’m glad that two club champions went out in style

I loved that goal Of pops - turned the clock right back - he had a stellar day and has had a career that he can look back on with pride

loved the occasion of Stratts goal and I’m glad he went out with a win and I thank him for his outstanding service to the club. Shameful some of the treatment he received the last couple of seasons but he leaves a champ

some players played their best footy for the season today - hopefully it wasnt too late

Moore, cousins, TOB had a good day out

Gunners - I don’t know the situation but you should be announced as The next captain - outstanding and I’m sending it out in to the universe that you remain a hawk

in fact I hope that you, Breust and smith all remain

thanks for season 2020 - it was a funny season, full of ups and downs and I’m already looking forward to next year

theiaofseed

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I've called him to play on the wring all year, he's not quick, doesn't have a large kick but what he can do is run all day and provide pressure.

Cousins has finished off the year very well. If he can just work on his decision making and disposal efficiency, he could be on the verge of having a breakout season next year.

Versus Gold Coast Suns
24 disposals (career high)
7 marks (career high)
8 inside 50s (career high)

Club Ranking
Disposals (Ranked 3rd)
Clearances (Ranked 3rd)
Inside 50s (Ranked 1st)

HAWKSBESTEVA

Club Legend
Jun 14, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Surprised Cousins isn’t being spoken about a bit more here. He’s finished off the year very well. If he can just work on his decision making and disposal efficiency, he could be on the verge of a breakout season next year.

Versus Gold Coast Suns
7 marks (career high)

Club Ranking
Disposals (Ranked 3rd)
Clearances (Ranked 3rd)
Inside 50s (Ranked 1st)
Thought his been pretty clean with his disposals tbh, went at above 83% again. Should have been playing ages ago, was getting BOG every week but not rewarded for form. Works hard , gets a bit of it and can kick goals. Best 22 next season round 1

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Cousins has finished off the year very well. If he can just work on his decision making and disposal efficiency, he could be on the verge of having a breakout season next year.

Versus Gold Coast Suns
7 marks (career high)

Club Ranking
Disposals (Ranked 3rd)
Clearances (Ranked 3rd)
Inside 50s (Ranked 1st)
Your club rankings are out but he did play well today. Needs to improve his kicking and defensive pressure but showing he can play a more outside role and be effective. Has to have more hurt factor so maybe he and omeara can spend all off season practicing their kicking together.

PAOKTSIS

Team Captain
Oct 5, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne United, KC Chiefs
I don't want to sound dramatic, but can we imagine if Lewis actually comes on next year and becomes the CHF we had expected (or hoped) he would become this year?!

That alone makes us such a better team and also means we fill one of our current massive holes.

Here's hoping he has a huge preseason...

Apr 29, 2007
Clyde North
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
boxing, cricket
29A803E2-372B-4BD0-BE31-762FD7D6BF9F.jpeg
Not sure if anyone has seen this.

Nov 25, 2010
WA
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Superb end to the season for the hawks, couldn't have gone much better - kudos to Clarko for giving Stratts spend some time up forward too - in contrast, I remember Leppistch leaving Dan Merrett on Nick Riewoldt for the entirety of his farewell game when he got 8 goals kicked on him.

After seeing Moore's stats, I kept an eye out for his disposal efficiency and he did miss a few kicks - one of which was after multiple hard running efforts, but his ball handling and handpassing was slick so i am optimistic he can improve his kicking with more games. I would rather we keep him on for next year ahead of Henderson and Scully just for age profiling and scope for player improvement, but I won't be holding my breath. However if they planned on delisting him, it is curious that they played him ahead of Maginess.

Looking fwd to seeing what Lewis can do next year after a surgery free off season.

Regarding the captaincy, I always thought pressure of the job might get to Gunston and impair his output, but I think he's demonstrated he's our best captaincy choice moving forward.... was oddly symbolic for me, his handing off the goal to Stratts.

The club's been in very few big / tight / high pressure games this year, so regardless of the incredibly rare 400 game milestone coming up, I can't help but think that Silk's terrific final quarter goal against Port helped his case for another season if Clarko hopes for the hawks to be involved in a few more close encounters next season.

Back