Autopsy Round 18, 2020: The Stratton and Poppy show dials down the Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been a bit of a critic of Dylan Moore in the past in his role as a small forward. Simply didn't have enough differentiating qualities; too slow, not a particularly strong tackler - but this version of Moore is great. Roaming HFF player who gets up and down, links up through the middle - if he can play this way regularly then we're set.

He doesn't need to run fast, just intelligently and faster than a tired opponent. Some of his kicking could have been finished a bit better but that's a small complaint for a kid who was amongst the best 3 on ground.

I think that people really need to appreciate the importance of getting a big win to celebrate the decorated careers of two greats of the club. It might have been a dead rubber game for our season and we have dropped down a spot in the draft but the win showed how strong the HFC's culture is. Compare that to Essendon who had the opportunity to send off a stalwart of the club in Bellchambers and chose not to even though they were in a similar position to us in terms of their season. It has created some major unrest in their playing group.

No, I don't think that's being harsh. I haven't seen much of Rankine playing for Gold Coast, but I watched him play for West Adelaide in the SANFL. My assessment of him was definitely an AFL talent, but a selfish player who puts himself ahead of team. Unless he learns the team ethic, he may struggle.

Greaves beat Rankin

To the great little man: Congratulations on a superb career.

What a way to finish with the 3 goals and the involvement in the Stratts scoring chain.

I’ll always remember you kicking our first in the 2014 GF and getting us underway.

It’s been an honour carrying (along with those Geelong players) your image these last few years.

I am sure some will point to a change in game plan for this game but there was none. We still need to be better in the center square but our stoppage work was much better including our run and spread.

I am sure some will point to a change in game plan for this game but there was none. We still need to be better in the center square but our stoppage work was much better including our run and spread.
Probably due to a complete lack of pressure

I'd say it wasn't so much a change in game plan but an execution of what the current one is with some added run from moore and cousins that made it look different.

Sure the pressure wasn't fierce but that game should be our measuring stick for disposal efficiency target. Think it is a better judge of how we would be playing if we had confidence through the list which is a good sign.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes of course the conditions did play a part
I just hope people don’t get carried away by yesterday’s performance

It was great, no doubt, but the Suns were on annual leave

We need a lot of things to go right over the next couple of years for us to be back where we want us to be

I just hope people don’t get carried away by yesterday’s performance

It was great, no doubt, but the Suns were on annual leave

We need a lot of things to go right over the next couple of years for us to be back where we want us to be
I wouldn't think anyone here would be thinking that mate. We need players with class and x factor. Some game changing players be that through the draft FA or trading

Scored an AFL season high disposal efficiency too

With 24 hours to reflect on what was a class send off full of Hawthorn culture and integrity I hope we keep perspective as a club. This time last year our list depth was badly miscalculated. Our ladder position doesn’t lie; Wingard, Day, Mitchell and O’Meara are genuine talents of the competition but we desperately need more. Two of Lewis, O’Brien and Ceglar need to be traded, yesterday proved that. Having not being deemed good enough for most of the year poppy and Moore got kicks at will, says so much about the intensity of the game. We need to be ruthless to succeed, not hope it happens.

With 24 hours to reflect on what was a class send off full of Hawthorn culture and integrity I hope we keep perspective as a club. This time last year our list depth was badly miscalculated. Our ladder position doesn’t lie; Wingard, Day, Mitchell and O’Meara are genuine talents of the competition but we desperately need more. Two of Lewis, O’Brien and Ceglar need to be traded, yesterday proved that. Having not being deemed good enough for most of the year poppy and Moore got kicks at will, says so much about the intensity of the game. We need to be ruthless to succeed, not hope it happens.
Agree. Yesterday was fools gold. So many of our players look like superstars when the pressure is off and we can't make finals.

Put any bearing on the game, and they go to water.

Must be ruthless this time. Or more of the same s**t awaits us.

Agree. Yesterday was fools gold. So many of our players look like superstars when the pressure is off and we can't make finals.

Put any bearing on the game, and they go to water.

Must be ruthless this time. Or more of the same sh*t awaits us.
I think the list cuts more or less mandate a level of ruthlessness. In saying that I’m beating Lewis and O’Brien are both on the list next year.

I haven’t listened to SEN all year but put it on for a short time this morning. It was interesting listening to Gerard Whately this morning with his commentary on the bottom 10

Hawks - Horrid season - didn’t like hub life, made no secret they didn’t like hub life, didn’t like Sydney hub at all and hated life in the Barossa. Yesterday was a fitting tribute for two premiership players but we aren't really going to know where they are at until next season

Essendon, Melbourne, north and GWS got slammed but surprisingly he just wasn’t ready to write us or the coach off as a bad season

Last edited:
I haven’t listened to SEN all year but put it on for a short time this morning. It was interesting listening to Gerard Whately this morning with his commentary on the bottom 10

Hawks - Horrid season - didn’t like hub life, made no secret they didn’t like hub life, didn’t like Sydney hub at all and hated life in the Barossa. Yesterday was a fitting tribute for two premiership players but we aren't really going to know where they are at until next season

Essendon, Melbourne, north and GWS got slammed but surprisingly he just wasn’t ready to write us or the coach off as a bad season
There’s an interview that where Burgoyne said “hub life didn’t agree with us. It just didn’t agree with us at all”.

I’d love to know more.

Seems we really just cracked the shits and sooked it up.

There’s an interview that where Burgoyne said “hub life didn’t agree with us. It just didn’t agree with us at all”.

I’d love to know more.

Have also heard this. I think there will be more to play out here, but it was pretty obvious after the crows game when Clarko said “I’d love to go roast the players, but there’s a lot more to it than just what’s going on here”, or words to that effect.

I’d love to know more.

it very much sounded that way listening this morning - the tone was interesting. Didn’t touch on anything football related - dismissed it out of hand really

But it didn’t really sound like there was a story too it that could develop into anything more - by that I mean coach, playing group. If anything I would be leaning AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back