Review Round 18, 2020 vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

rogerjames

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Apologies for the intrusion but just wanted to say congratulations on the minor premiership. Very well deserved, and an amazing effort to hold down the top of the ladder every round of the season. To be honest i didnt think hinkley had it in him but by golly he proved me wrong! Fingers crossed well be seeing you in the grand final!
I didn't think he had it in him either. Very happy to be proven wrong. Thanks for your post. Good luck in the finals. My partner is a Lions supporter so should be interesting.

lol

70sDinosaur

Premiership Player
May 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
lol

The AFL is corrupt and channel 7 is complicit in the corruption. Not one ******* word from their commentators.

Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?
Excellent win. McKenzie on Cox was magnificent. Marshall did a job on Moore too that seems to have gone unnoticed. Marshall kept Moore out of the play all game. A defensive job on their best intercept defender.

Rockliff was fantastic. Lycett too. Ebert and Motlop proved their worth. Lienert fantastic. The poor lad was playing wing for Sturt when recruited and finds himself playing key defender in a crucial game. Excellent job.

The changes are obvious- Butters for Woodcock, Burton for Bonner and Clurey for Lienert. Georgia does is breathing down Marshall’s neck but I can’t imagine 4 changes from a winning side.

PpROAa0.jpg
1600700167786.png

rogerjames

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
A great win. Tough game, hard as nails, tight and we kept responding to the challenges Collingwood gave us.

Our backline were incredible as a whole. The flankers zoned off and marked perfectly. Jonas and McKenzie did such a great job as well. Our midfield were challenged a few times but were able to work back into it and get back on top time and time again.

Our forward line didnt really work in unison at any stage but did enough.

Top of the ladder all year. So proud of this club.

PLAYER REVIEWS

Ladhams - For someone who can take some great contested marks, he just needs to take the easy ones. Seems to drop some simple ones under little pressure. Was well beaten in the ruck but played his part up forward.

Woodcock - Tried hard, ran his heart out, chased really well and put a lot of pressure on but just couldn't get the ball most of the night

Motlop - Didn't do a lot, but what he did do was excellent. 2 goals including a Motlop special. Keeps his spot for the finals

McKenzie - Has had such a great year and did a wonderful job again tonight. Did a great job on Cox.

Rozee - Is clearly hampered by injury. Can run in a straight line, has lost his agility, can't put pressure on his foot and turn with any sort of speed. Just wished he'd slotted those couple of goals.

Dixon - Well held. Kicked a goal, did his bit, but wasn't a game he could dominate in

Lienert - Next man up. He came in, played his part, won his position and did what we needed. Has had a good year when he's played.

Jonas - Played a ripper on De Goey. Smashed him. Should be AA captain

Marshall - Was terrible in the first half. No other word for it. But, when the game was on the line, he had 2 or 3 moments which really mattered and made sure we won the game.

Hartlett - Very solid game. Cut across really well and defended strongly one on one, used it really well. Great game

SPP - Such a good game again. When Collingwood were getting on top, he was one that was getting in and winning the ball and making sure momentum went back our way.

Amon - Was put under pressure a lot tonight but had a few telling moments in breaking free and having influence

Bonner - Yes that Crippa double fister was the most horrendous thing a Port player has done all year. But, outside of that, he actually played really well. Quite a few times was able to get through traffic under pressure and his skills were excellent.

Lycett - Workmanlike. Beaten but not outclassed.

Ebert - Such an influential performance. 2 great goals and felt like if you were to watch a highlights package of this match, he'd be in just about every Port highlight

Duursma - Good for him to have a good game heading into finals. Excited to see what he can do on the big stage

Boak - Was good. Not in the top echelon of his games this year but felt like he did a lot of little influential things all night, whether that be knock ons or tackles or clearances at the right time. Perfect team game

Wines - Solid as a rock again. Huge second half of the season.

Gray - Exciting to see him play this well on the verge of finals. Huge game today and he was in our top 3. Great effort

DBJ - fu** he was good. If he was on the verge of AA selection then that game should just about get him in the team. Under pressure all night and just did not phase him at all. Great game

Rockliff - I said near the start of the season that we can't win a flag without Rocky. His last 2 months have been huge and he's having an undeniable influence on our team. Once again it was the quick kicks and the clearances that really stood out. He gets to play finals for the first time. He's gonna dominate

Houston - The best game of his career. His positioning was first class, so many intercept marks. He's had a decent year but needed a big game and i'm glad he got it before the finals.
Great summary. Agree that Jonas & McKenzie have been wonderful all season. Have loved watching them play, total pros.

Byron!!!

Club Legend
Mar 18, 2012
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Good win guys, your class and polish prevailed against the Pies. I reckon Geelong are a harder matchup than Richmond for you since they have Hawkins against your undersized backline so you'll need to beat them in the midfield.

Lynch is just as much a problem. Defense being exposed comes down to the forwards and midfield.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Byron!!!

Club Legend
Mar 18, 2012
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Excellent win. McKenzie on Cox was magnificent. Marshall did a job on Moore too that seems to have gone unnoticed. Marshall kept Moore out of the play all game. A defensive job on their best intercept defender.

Rockliff was fantastic. Lycett too. Ebert and Motlop proved their worth. Lienert fantastic. The poor lad was playing wing for Sturt when recruited and finds himself playing key defender in a crucial game. Excellent job.

The changes are obvious- Butters for Woodcock, Burton for Bonner and Clurey for Lienert. Georgia does is breathing down Marshall’s neck but I can’t imagine 4 changes from a winning side.

Marshall’s mrs will be upset when she founds out what Georgia does!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

JohnHinckleyJr

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls Man Utd
lol

Just proves it's corrupt woodcock first goal had the ******* FBI on it to prove it wasn't a goal..
This doesn't even have a replay lol

Dav

Hotel? Trivago.
10k Posts Koala SFA State of Origin Coney Island Warriors - Sweet F.A. Pantskyle SFA Fight For MND SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Brisbane Dolphins Player - BFFCL BFFCL Club Captain Blue Mountain Bounders Player - BFFCL
Jul 23, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Brighton, McLaren F1
Woodcock, Motlop and Bonner didn't really grab their chances. Lienert was passable.

Motlop was very good imo showed X-factor and great goal sense. Lienert was mightily impressive against a dynamic Collingwood forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dav

Hotel? Trivago.
10k Posts Koala SFA State of Origin Coney Island Warriors - Sweet F.A. Pantskyle SFA Fight For MND SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Brisbane Dolphins Player - BFFCL BFFCL Club Captain Blue Mountain Bounders Player - BFFCL
Jul 23, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Brighton, McLaren F1
Another positive I haven’t seen mentioned yet - our set shot kicking was remarkably good this week.

yepits2020

Premiership Player
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
lol

The bias obvious. Umpires tried hard to give Collingwood the game to the point of embarrassment in the last quarter.

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
Solid, grinding effort all night. Pies were up for Pendles and to avoid a western sojourn.
We looked flat, but maintained composure, even when headed, and stole momentum back from them more than once.
Resilience and self belief :thumbsu:

Defence good - Jonas, Cannon, DBJ, Huston terrific. Lienert and Bonner very good, and it will be very hard to leave them out if Burton and Cluzza return. Good dilemna to have!
Lycett - pretty good, negated Grundy. Ladhams - needs to hold those 6 or 7 marks he bloody well dropped, but I think he stays in, instead of Hoff.
Dixon - terrible entries by us, gave him bugger all chane to mark, but he still competed hard, even for ground balls. Marshall - if he was a decoy on Moore, then 9 out of 10 for that. Looked gassed a few times, so maybe that was his role to run Moore out of the play. If he wasn't, then he needs to pull his socks up or MG comes in.
Smalls - Gray, Rocky both excellent. SPP, Boak, X, Amon, Motlop all had their moments. Woodcock seemed lost with the pace of the game (understandably), and is the obvious out for Butters.

It was obvious that we employed too much handball, and ran ourselves into trouble too much with that overuse - so we need to tighten that aspect up :think:
In the last qtr we kicked 2 balls from set kicks in defence OOF - ffs how does that happen. Also acouple of unpressurised kicks straight to Pies players. That, and some easy missed shots for goal will be lethal against better sides.:thumbsdown::mad:

Hopefully we refresh and recover mentally and physically now. if we bring our A-game, we can topple our nemesis. Anything less and we will be in for a hard time.
But I believe the Cats are vulnerable, so heres hoping we launch into the finals from game 1, and use it as a springboard to better outcomes.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
the non-call HTM on SPP in the goal square was incredible, they gave collingwood every chance to get a run on in the 4th.
I nearly threw my bottle at the TV when this happened , Friggin sh!ts me how much the scum get away with in these games and how blind freddy didnt give that free kick is just mind boggling.

Anyway great win guys and well deserved Minor premiership, You guys were / are the best team this year and lets hope its Tigers/Power GF
We handed the crows the spoon and you guys handed the scum a new a hole

Cheers see you in the GF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back