Autopsy Round 18, 2021: Hawks draw with Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

Are we leaving Jeka in that mix too, to complete the 'three-headed monster'?
The VFL aren't playing so that probably means he'll get another game. If he has another game like tonight, getting pushed off the ball so easily, then Callow will more than likely get a look in. He won't be easily pushed off the ball and seems to be a really good reader of the flight of the ball. He only has a contract until the end of the year so it would seem that he will get at least a couple of games so they can see how he measures up. Unless Koschitzke, Lewis and Jekka all play well for the remainder of the season.

Doesn't really show in any stats or anything; but I thought the Lewis, Kosi and Jeka triple threat helped to nullify the influence of May and Lever

They didn't know who to leave and who to double team in contests, leaving the spare to have a better chance

Throw in McEvoy every so often and the two of them looked almost as panicked as they've been all year

Whatever we did different this game with the midfield set up we must replicate. First time the midfield seemed to click after quarter time.

Replacing Cegs with Reeves was a big part of it.

Covers a lot of ground. Excellent workrate.

But goes to ground too easily.
Does well in amongst the tall timber.

Always attracts a decent tackle

Cyril-esque. When he went to ground and shot straight back up and delivered a perfect pass to Lewis.

Oh my !
Both the goals he set up for Lewis were straight out of the Cyril handbook, I hope he can become our Pickett he just has the x factor, you can just sense moments in the game where he's just about to burst and do something special.

What a great effort, we look so much better at the G.

- Jeka and JK need more time together. Something to look forward to next year.
- Brambles demonstrates the lack of leg speed we have. We need more of these types.
- Mitchell should've of gone the banana.

Jeka and Jeff Kennett need more time together?

Unbelievable effort.

On paper one of the weakest sides we've had on the paddock in years.

We'd have to be the best second bottom team of all time. Rarely get spanked. So much upside.
Collingwood in 1976 was a half way decent bottom side. (I know it's not second bottom, but still...) had 6 wins and played in a drawn grand final the following year.

Lots of kicks off the ground tonight. I wonder whether we were given permission to just go for it, cos usually coaches hate it. Probably worked in our favour 70% of the time, and a couple of disasters.
I think it was a directive, just move the ball on as quickly as possible so Melbourne don't get a chance to settle into the defensive set up.
The old chaos ball certainly created some opportunities for us tonight

Reeves makes a huge difference in the middle. Not being on the back foot repeatedly from a centre bounce helps the team psyche

many good efforts tonight but Bramble is developing at a super impressive speed. His dare is great

Bramble is a wonderful talent. Assuming everyone is fit, he would just about has one of the wing positions locked in.

Grainger-Barrass and Brockman are going to be A Graders for their respective positions, both showing a LOT despite playing a handful of games.

3/4 picks in the top 25, Gunston, Sicily, Wingard, Jiath, Day, Scrimshaw, Hardwick and Impey to come back ...

The future is bright boys and girls.
And 3 more talent young midfielders

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Huge effort from the boys tonight. A draw is better than a lot of people expected and was an honourable one. Obviously we have to think about the draft picks but damn it was hard not to be cheering on.

Mids played a great game and I think a lot of that was down to Reeves. The kid is a talent and if he wasn’t beating Gawn then he was at least nullifying him (aside from a couple of times obviously).

Found one in Bramble for sure. Hartigan (a lot like Frawley used to) cops way more crap than he deserves. And of course those 2 mistakes by Frosty were costly but the guy does way more good than bad.

For those that watch VFL regularly, did Bramble stand out at Willy in previous years? He turned 23 this year but how was he not on an AFL list before Andy Collins said we should take him? Considering how many other crabs there are across the league

Bounced to his feet without losing a second too. Reminds me of someone…
Oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy!
Slightly unpopular observation perhaps.

Missing Wingard, Sicily, Day, Scrimshaw, Gunston and to a lesser extent Impey and CJ (with Hardwick the obvious exception) doesn’t rob us of intense physical pressure and hard nose tackling at ground level.

My point being, despite boasting objectively less talented but harder nosed players we nearly toppled the best unit in the competition. It’s very hard to develop superior skill into already AFL listed players, but perhaps it’s possible to coach greater hardness and willingness to defend into those (who were missing)?

1:45 and 8:10

For those that watch VFL regularly, did Bramble stand out at Willy in previous years? He turned 23 this year but how was he not on an AFL list before Andy Collins said we should take him? Considering how many other crabs there are across the league
Might be wrong but I think like Breust he was just extremely undeveloped physically and cop some injuries, never had a real go. Came back in 2021 with some more size and boom.

He did in Round 5 this year - pretty sure there's at least 2 other occasions.
Until today, he'd played in more losses than wins. 3 wins 4 losses from 7 matches until today. Now it's 4 - 4

That was a bit of alright. Reeves, Brockman I thought were huge. DGB looked like season ending injury then stood up again, inspirational. Brambles stroll up the middle was awesome, noticed Sammy on the bench giving him kudos. I never had grey hair before Frosty joined the team. Brissie very beatable next week.

The people I feel for the most in all of this are those people who made Max Gawn their supercoach or fantasy captain this week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back