Review Round 18, 2021 - Richmond vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Richmond?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Have I missed something - media/Richmond referring to Dusty's injury as something resulting from an "accidental kick"...I just see two players in a collision where Robbo gets up and runs away and Dusty stays down in enormous pain and discomfort. I can't see any "kicking" action. What am I missing?

Hardwick the grub said he copped a kick. Rubbish he did. He just came of second best.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

[/QUOTE]
This is what frustrates me most. Week after week, year after year and nothing has changed. Bomb it out of defense and it comes straight back in. Bomb it into the forward line and it comes straight back out.

It’s at a stage where my wife said to me last night ‘babe why do watch the footy, you don’t enjoy it. You just get frustrated’. My response at the time was close to 20 years of the same old same old. Nothings changes.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I get this .
To a degree the fact that we have finished 2 in the H and A season has papered over some of our deficiencies.
It's hard to aargue that our style needs tweeking when we finish 2nd.
But for mind our biggest weapon is our intensity at the contest and then the next contest.
We drop that back a little to the oppositions level and we sometimes get shown up as not having great ball movement, as you say bombing it forward.
Even North looked better at one stage in our game against with running uncontested ball movement.
We beat them with superior atack at the contest not with precision movement.
Imo it's why we have lacked the ability to really dominate a lesser team .
It doesn't look like changing either .
The past two years have shown that in finals when the opposition has the same intensity , we have failed with gameplan or the way we move the ball.
Too many kicks to a contest and not enough quick running to receive a short pass and then quick relay through traffic.
Better teams like Geelong, Richmond just use the footy with better control and not so much depending on a massive contest to keep possession.
That's my observation anyway.

I get this .
To a degree the fact that we have finished 2 in the H and A season has papered over some of our deficiencies.
But for mind our biggest weapon is our intensity at the contest and then the next contest.
We drop that back a little to the oppositions level and we sometimes get shown up as not having great ball movement, as you say bombing it forward.
Even North looked better at one stage in our game against with running uncontested ball movement.
The past two years have shown that in finals when the opposition has the same intensity , we have failed with gameplan or the way we move the ball.
Too many kicks to a contest and not enough quick running to receive a short pass and then quick relay through traffic.
Better teams like Geelong, Richmond just use the footy with better control and not so much depending on a massive contest to keep possession.
[/QUOTE]

The issue is our gameplan works. Our best performances have come when it works; Richmond final last year, Geelong and Port this year and it’s suited to the players we have.

I think our drafting indicates we’re trying to add a few different types to our squad like Sharp and Prior.

We also need players like Bailey, Rayner and Madden to develop

I get this .

The issue is our gameplan works. Our best performances have come when it works; Richmond final last year, Geelong and Port this year and it’s suited to the players we have.

I think our drafting indicates we’re trying to add a few different types to our squad like Sharp and Prior.

[/QUOTE]
T. Berry would be handy as well as he's a player who can run to spaces, only needs to be developed in a team that works in this manner more often, and not bombing it forward so much.

Yeah, apparently they are the only ones entitled to get excited and celebrate when they have good wins.

"entitled" hmm, that is a good way to describe their attitude now they have tasted success....and it's funny because it really wasn't all that long ago they were delivering manure to the doorstep of their club, microwaving their membership cards and IIRC they were also spitting at their coach.....how soon they forget!

Some teams are likable and one can genuinely wish them luck.....Tigers aren't one of those teams.

Generally supporters of successful teams just enjoy the moment and couldn’t give a toss what other teams’ supporters think.

Richmond fans seem to go the other way. Their success has seemingly made them even more insecure and desperate to be acknowledged and patted on the back by others. It’s a really weird pathology.

They’ve let their “not-quite dynasty” pass them by without developing the emotional intelligence to enjoy it. I feel a bit sorry for them because history shows it can be a long time between drinks.

There's a lack of emotional maturity for sure. Its like a situation where the adults talk and the juvenile interjects, adding their bit, talking like they think adults talk, wanting the adults to acknowledge that the juvenile is a big boy now. It's both amusing and irritating.

Last edited:
Generally supporters of successful teams just enjoy the moment and couldn’t give a toss what other teams’ supporters think.

Richmond fans seem to go the other way. Their success has seemingly made them even more insecure and desperate to be acknowledged and patted on the back by others. It’s a really weird pathology.

They’ve let their “not-quite dynasty” pass them by without developing the emotional intelligence to enjoy it. I feel a bit sorry for them because history shows it can be a long time between drinks.

3 flags and a minor premiership in 4 years. How do you not call it a dynasty?

I get this .

[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't put Richmond as 1 of the better teams this year. They are bog ordinary this year.

Issue is our list is not in the right age for a premiership. The likes of Rich, Zorko, and Lyons have only a year or two left to perform at a reasonable level. We have a msaaive gap in the 24-28 age group where premierships are won. Also a huge concern is that our older players who are close to the downhill are our consistent key players.... we lack a bit on the next tier. Outside of Clugga and maybe Bailey we have a lot of question marks. Either talent, or age is too young... we still have way too many youngsters in the starting best 22. Need to go hard this trade period on quality midfielders in the 26-28 age bracket while we have the premiership window open. It's not shut and not completely open.. but its ajar with what we have.

Jesus what is it with you people?! We have opinions about your club that we don't need to justify to you. Your fanbase is like a person who keeps asking, 'Why don't you like me???' It's pathetic and incredibly needy.

Case in point everyone… “validate us, pleaaaaaasssseeee!”

Jesus what is it with you people?! We have opinions about your club that we don't need to justify to you. Your fanbase is like a person who keeps asking, 'Why don't you like me???' It's pathetic and incredibly needy.
Have you heard their latest whinge topic? "ThE mEdIa HaTeS uS", like are they absolutely blind to the blatant commentary barracking for their team week after week? They are the number one topic on every analysis show and have been lauded for years. They're a deluded bunch of sooks. The least gracious group of supporters about and yet as soon as other supporter groups give them a taste of their own medicine they hold weird, obsessive vendettas. You'd think after a period of success like theirs that they'd actually be able to have a bit of perspective but all that comes out of that mob is constant complaining.

Don't lose the faith too quickly, folks. Better to have a lull now than in a month. You've been putrid the last couple of weeks, but your best still beats anyone. Hopefully you bounce back from the lull the same way you did at the start of the season.

Granted, I thought letting Stef Martin leave was a bit of a howler (although he may have struggled to stay fit anyhow).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

have you seen his mate Lynch.. their be long lines for both until Toby Greene turns up

Greene is way less punchable than Lynch.

He’s won me over. Could have gone glory chasing like Lynch but has stuck with the giants.

A better player too.

Bit of a head scratcher why we didn’t use the MSD to try and upgrade someone like Coleman or Prior

Greene is way less punchable than Lynch.

He’s won me over. Could have gone glory chasing like Lynch but has stuck with the giants.

A better player too.

Toby is one of my favourite players to watch and despite the grub reputation I've never seen him pull even half the lowdown s**t Lynch gets away with.

reading through the comments and thinking
low game time for Kiddy, Prior, Dev and Madden.. Is this because their young
Or do we just leave the older guys out there more? We move mids to forward a lot.

if you look at our forward and back lines.. Half of them play 90% plus
6 players Joe, Harris, Charlie, McStay, Lester and Starc... You assume Starc lower as went off after a knock and McStay nose.

We rotate really only McCarthy on the ball from the forward 6. Apart from either Joe/Fullarton in the ruck.
We then rotate forward Zorko, Bailey and Clugga.
Zorko, Bailey, Neale, Robbo, Clugga, Lyons all play 79-85%

Backline we rotate off with Prior and Madden. Prior also covers the wing.. Rich, Birchall as well around 80-85%
Then Dev and Kiddy from our moves from forward to mid to bench.

So yes they get more game time although others have to get less.
We do not as other teams have 2 HB's and 2 HF go through mids..
Charlie stays at home now. Kiddy might come up the ground although not really minutes in centre..
Rich and Birchall float although more goal keeper role
Really only McCarthy that plays everywhere and still 88% Game time

Pretty frustrated with how last night played out. Work rate and pressure was down all night. Clearly we’re the better side but after half time we just expected it to happen. Need to make a few changes though and adjust the forward line structure now.

Hope the lads can switch on now.

Any team with a decent ruck gets hold of us. Have not replaced Steph - and outside of Oscar it's crickets. Game v Pies example. And depth - our ressies are getting flogged. Pants pulled down - up to coaching staff to respond.

Who was available at our pick that would have been a short or long term upgrade on Coleman and Prior? I don’t follow it closely and would be interested in your thoughts.

I’d assume there’d have to be several. Neither of them do much even at VFL level.

Back