Review Round 18, 2021 - Richmond vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Richmond?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Come on. 3 flags and a minor premiership in 4 years? That is a dynasty. It might not be as good as ours, but it is still a dynasty nonetheless. Let's not let our frustration over a terrible performance mask how good Richmond have actually been.

Shelve the armchair psychology. I said the same about Richmond’s “not quite dynasty” last week before our game.

To me, a dynasty is a significant, uninterrupted reign. 2 years isn’t a dynasty. Just ask the Crows of the late 90s. Even if you want to be extra generous, you need to at least make the grand final in that off year. You can’t get Mason Coxed in a prelim.

Minor premierships are also irrelevant in a comp with inequitable fixturing.

Last edited:

OldLion

Club Legend
Oct 18, 2000
Melbourne - 3078 Lions
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Also think that we are lacking a lot of intensity in the midfield. The last 2 mins of the game, there was a rise in intensity from us but that should be throughout the whole game not the last 2 minutes
A few games this year - esp v Pies - where it took Robinson to raise the intensity and get the team going. No intensity = loss. Simple.

Or Essendon's dynasty 2000

Does it still get lauded as the best premiership ever on a yearly basis by that Essendon supporter on the main board? "Let's pick out some numbers specifically to prove what I've already decided is true."

Or Essendon's dynasty 2000
It was amazing and highlighted by one of the biggest chokes ever in 1999 Preliminary Final against Carlton and then being beaten relatively convincingly by the Lions in the 2001 GF! Great memories.

Does it still get lauded as the best premiership ever on a yearly basis by that Essendon supporter on the main board? "Let's pick out some numbers specifically to prove what I've already decided is true."
Always made me laugh that thread.

Dan-something, wasn't it?

2000 bombers under performed as did Port. Both had the misfortune of coming up against what many think was the greatest team ever
I wonder who that club was, that was so unstoppable during that period of time & dominance, which the VIC-media will always underrates :think:

Oh yeah, that's right, it was US who had the greatest team ever assembled during that amazing three-peat run between 2001-2003, no contest there :p

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Whatever it was, wait for dev to kick the goal then react if you feel you need.

The push by Dan wasn't all that aggressive.

The Richmond guy dropped the knees, folded like a sack of spuds and as usual, the ump couldn't resist the opportunity of a "look at me" high drama reversal

I really despise those type of reversals especially when it's obvious that the "aggrieved" party really hasn't suffered any real physical harm

In big games and Finals, the really good Umpires tend to just ignore the melodramatics and tell the flopper to get on with it.

Still dumb by McStay.

It's really not his game.

Part of getting better as a team means total buy in by everyone to maintain discipline in that sort of moment

I believe he apologised profusely to Fages after the incident and rightly so.

Last edited:

Paul Mac

All Australian
Jun 5, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

The Richmond guy dropped the knees, folded like a sack of spuds and as usual, the ump couldn't resist the opportunity of "look at me" high drama

In big games and Finals, the really good Umpires tend to just ignore the melodramatics and tell the flopper to get on with it.

Still dumb by McStay.

Part of getting better as a team means total buy in by everyone to maintain discipline in that sort of moment

I think the key point in your post is " STILL DUMB BY MCSTAY ".
Agree that alot more was made of it than what it was but just simply don't put yourself in that situation when we are 10 metres out directly in front.

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
I think the key point in your post is " STILL DUMB BY MCSTAY ".
Agree that alot more was made of it than what it was but just simply don't put yourself in that situation when we are 10 metres out directly in front.

Yes ..... of course that's the bottom line.

Given the Umps' propensity to create drama (and they do love a bit of it), you just don't tempt fate with the type of silly overt act that McStay induged himself in.

Better to rush to his own team-mate and offer positive re-enforcement for a job well done

Paul Mac

All Australian
Jun 5, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yes ..... of course that's the bottom line.

Given the Umps' propensity to create drama (and they do love a bit of it), you just don't tempt fate with the type of silly overt act that McStay induged himself in.

Better to rush to his own team-mate and offer positive re-enforcement for a job well done
I would be 99% sure though if it was Ray Chamberlain umpiring he would not have fallen for it and told the Richmond guy to get up.

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

The Richmond guy dropped the knees, folded like a sack of spuds and as usual, the ump couldn't resist the opportunity of a "look at me" high drama reversal

I really despise those type of reversals especially when it's obvious that the "aggrieved" party really hasn't suffered any real physical harm

Still dumb by McStay.

Yes he did apologize profusely but didn't stop Fagan from blasting him for doing it. Was a time when we very much needed a steadying goal and as it turned out, Richmond rebounded and got one theirselves. :rolleyes: 12 point turnaround that hurt us significantly!

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yes he did apologize profusely but didn't stop Fagan from blasting him for doing it. Was a time when we very much needed a steadying goal and as it turned out, Richmond rebounded and got one theirselves. :rolleyes: 12 point turnaround that hurt us significantly!
He had 2 goes at knocking the guy over and was surprised by his own strength when the guy dropped to the ground in a bit of a flop. It was nothing like Grimes when Hipwood breathed on him but still a milk for a reversal.

I don't mind Dan starting to push opponents around just the wrong time and place. I don't think he'll do it again.

Back