Preview Round 18, 2021: St.Kilda v Port Adelaide - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 17th July, 1:45PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 45 73.8%
  • Power

Votes: 16 26.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bytel will not take to the age of 27 to find his game at AFL level he just needs games to gain confidence if we had given him games the same that we did with king he would be starting to come on now

Probably not but he potentially might. He really hasn't played more than a handful of games since he was 16 and he's now 21. VFL has just been shelved this week and could have a another year of limited access to games. He's having a terrible run of luck having been made medical sub so sat on a bench instead of playing at any level and getting limited time on ground.

Pretty sure he's a free agent. Started with Billings and he is.
Wouldn't think he'd get us much compo as a FA though.
I think if a club offer him 600k over 3 years that will get us mid second round.and I think Adelaide are going to lose Matt crouch so they could be in the market

That's dismantling what works for a gamble though. Gresham might not get back to what he was, Bytel might take as long as Dunstan did to come good etc. To me it's like dismantling your car just as you get it running right. We need depth and guys like Byrnes and Bytel are probably three years off being at their peak. Clubs like Port have guys like Rockliff and Powell-Pepper in reserve and it doesn't hurt them.

If we let Dunstan walk this year he might get an end of second round that goes on academy players. If we keep him and Bytel or others are banging the door down and he's playing well we can trade a good mid for a much higher pick than that. You very rarely get all your players on the park at once. Quality depth takes you from a straggler to a force.

If Dunstan is playing well and we make finals I'd be very tempted to sign him and Billings back up hopefully both on a reasonably economical contract. It means our list is in a much better place than it looked a month into the season and should let us compete with most sides

Powell pepper isn’t a reserve. Also Dunstan isn’t going to sign on as a reserve. He will be expecting to play if form is good enough. Bytel isn’t going to stick around if he continues last weeks form in the reserves. No idea why gresh wouldn’t get back to his best. It’s not that type of injury. I think it won’t be our choice anyway. I’m pretty certain Dunstan will walk because we won’t offer enough to keep him especially if bytel finishes the year off well. The club will want to play him next year. As for the side being in a better place well the list is still the same just important players are back in the side which gives players confidence and confidence is a funny thing. So is lack of it.

Don't you just love a bloke with advanced techno skills showing off with his advanced techno talk? Mate, that really made me laugh as I now know I'm not alone in the contemporary wilderness. Let me know if you can read semaphore, mirrors or would prefer smoke!

Say transistor these days, there would be young folks wanting your head for using offensive terminology mixed with gender defining pronouns.

The key will be whether he thinks he's a better chance of getting a regular game with us or somewhere else.

He might have a better chance of getting regular games somewhere else but if he keeps playing as well as he has recently he'll get regular games with us too.

Like most players his form determines whether he plays AFL or VFL, not many players have the luxury of getting regular games despite having poor form like Hill.

Powell pepper isn’t a reserve. Also Dunstan isn’t going to sign on as a reserve. He will be expecting to play if form is good enough. Bytel isn’t going to stick around if he continues last weeks form in the reserves. No idea why gresh wouldn’t get back to his best. It’s not that type of injury. I think it won’t be our choice anyway. I’m pretty certain Dunstan will walk because we won’t offer enough to keep him especially if bytel finishes the year off well. The club will want to play him next year. As for the side being in a better place well the list is still the same just important players are back in the side which gives players confidence and confidence is a funny thing. So is lack of it.

He is this year, they've left him out of games for kids.

He might have a better chance of getting regular games somewhere else but if he keeps playing as well as he has recently he'll get regular games with us too.

Like most players his form determines whether he plays AFL or VFL, not many players have the luxury of getting regular games despite having poor form like Hill.
True but a new club give you more chances. The club and Dunstan will decide if it’s him or bytel who gets regular games next year. Won’t be both and Dunstan knows bytel is staying. If I’m him I’m going

I just can't see a club offering that much. That's close to what we're giving Steele and Crouch and he's not in that league.

His current form is as good as Crouch if not better.

Maybe it's the pessimist in me but I feel we are a little over confident at the moment.

We were very good last week but it has to be said that Brisbanes pressure was rated poor so I'm not getting ahead of myself just yet.

I'm more than prepared to be let down.
I can see why. Especially after what happened to freo.

No Butters, Rockliff, Rozee, Motlop, Clurey, Gray, or Fantasia…

If we can’t win this one, we’re just not good enough; I’m absolutely floored that they’re at better odds than we are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can see why. Especially after what happened to freo.

Freo didn't lose because they got ahead of themselves and over confident, they just aren't good enough to mix it with the premiership contenders whereas we are.

We shouldn't be over confident going into any games but we should be confident that if we play at our best or close to it we can beat any team including Port.

Add Duursma to that list as well

He was named as an emergency which I found strange, surely if he is fit they would start him in their team unless they are concerned he isn't fully match fit yet.

Happy for him to sit this one out though as he's a gun player for them.

Freo didn't lose because they got ahead of themselves and over confident, they just aren't good enough to mix it with the premiership contenders whereas we are.

We shouldn't be over confident going into any games but we should be confident that if we play at our best or close to it we can beat any team including Port.

He was named as an emergency which I found strange, surely if he is fit they would start him in their team unless they are concerned he isn't fully match fit yet.
That’s a bit of hindsight. Their form before last night was as good as ours. Yes we beat Brisbane easily but it’s over a whole season. I’d say we should think we can beat any side but if all sides are at their best we aren’t the best side. We can beat port because they aren’t in great form and also have heaps of injuries. I think the best sides win when not at their best. We aren’t that side yet.

We won’t kick many goals with every small forward injured. You can’t lose.

Fantasia
Butters
Farrell
Gray
Motlop
Duursma
Rozee
we hope PowerBaz . but we have been in this position before and still lost.

ST KILDA tall Josh Battle is set to miss the remainder of the season after scans discovered bone stress in his ankle.

Saints medicos will meet with a surgeon next week to determine the next steps for the 22-year-old, however the club is confident he'll be fit to tackle pre-season ahead of next year.

Battle listed as injured on afl.com.au. Did I miss something?
He pulled up yesterday.
Left the ground and didn’t re-emerge.
Was something to do with his left ankle or foot.
As he was favouring it.
I didn’t think much of it, but he did limp off the ground.
That might be the reason.

Is anyone else looking forward to this challenge - haven't been favourites against a decimated team in ages - haven't been in good form in ages - haven't played at Marvel in ages. It's all adding up to a really interesting game - will the real St Kilda please stand up?

If we win this game, I reckon we will definitely play finals
If we win this game comfortably I reckon we're a shot at a home final.
If we absolutely smash them, we could give top four a serious shake.

Am I delusional? Perhaps... but I for one am really looking forward to seeing how we handle the pressure now we're in good form and have players back and are back on our home deck...
if we lose, no finals for us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back