Review Round 18, 2023 - Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The fact that we think Gunston is the man to send down back shows where Cam is at.

If he was up to more M/F minutes or a more important role we'd be giving it to him.

Maybe next year will be the breakout year.

He seemed right out of sorts this week. Not really settled in what he's meant to be doing.

Perhaps they were inclined to use Gunston with Melbourne having the ability to have an extra tall and pick off long balls as a spare. Geelong can do that too so I expect Gunston to play this week too.

As a defender though I would be more nervous manning Rayner than Gunston. I would also be a lot more confident in running off Gunston.

Drop Gunston:
Lose a bit of structure in the air against tall back lines / gain some x factor in the air and on the deck.

Play Both:
Rayners role gets muddied.

The fact that we think Gunston is the man to send down back shows where Cam is at.

If he was up to more M/F minutes or a more important role we'd be giving it to him.

Maybe next year will be the breakout year.

He seemed right out of sorts this week. Not really settled in what he's meant to be doing.
Cam Rayner will still be promising his ‘breakout year” in his late twenties.

Absolute debarkle went to try and save the game way too early instead of trying to win the game , big o was poor at best not looking at the ball just looking at Gawn. Midfield just disappeared

The impact on our season is huge , totally stuffs our chance at making top 2 and not a home final

Just crap

Here's a more positive perspective

As much as I was hurt by the loss I thought at least 80% of our performance was really encouraging and it has me feeling hopeful going forward for the remainder of the season and finals. Yeah we chocked a 26 point lead and that came down to a few factors that I'm confident the players will learn from this.

We lost because a combination of our poor start, some critical mistakes and in the last 10 - 15 minutes we stopped doing what was working for us up until that point of the game.

I was impressed by our fight back,we looked fantastic when we took the game on, moving with speed,confidence and supporting eachother. It may not have been a win but we proved we're capable of playing the MCG well. That was my takeaway.

As I have watched this team develop over the past 5 years I often use the three-peat lions and other more recent premiership teams as a benchmark.

Premiership teams have a ruthlessness about them, both in personnel and how the team plays in differing game situations. Think of players like Chris Johnson, the Scott brothers, Pike and Mal Michael. I ask myself do we have this ruthlessness, who are our tough bastards…..unfortunately I have never been able to answer yes or get past Starcevich as the only player with a bit of grunt.

It is so frustrating watching the team dominate games yet never feeling safe until the final siren sounds as we rarely finish teams off. I remember the 3 peat lions might have only been a couple of goals ahead at half time but I would have a little chuckle knowing that they would run the game out and finish teams off to win by a solid margin.

Friday night’s debacle is emblematic of us switching off, we are lucky that it hasn’t bitten us on the ass before.

The risk is the team will be looking over their shoulder and opposing teams will know that we will be shaky when they lift the intensity in the last quarter.

Interesting times ahead, a loss to geelong this week has the potential to completely derail our season.

As I have watched this team develop over the past 5 years I often use the three-peat lions and other more recent premiership teams as a benchmark.

Premiership teams have a ruthlessness about them, both in personnel and how the team plays in differing game situations. Think of players like Chris Johnson, the Scott brothers, Pike and Mal Michael. I ask myself do we have this ruthlessness, who are our tough bastards…..unfortunately I have never been able to answer yes or get past Starcevich as the only player with a bit of grunt.

It is so frustrating watching the team dominate games yet never feeling safe until the final siren sounds as we rarely finish teams off. I remember the 3 peat lions might have only been a couple of goals ahead at half time but I would have a little chuckle knowing that they would run the game out and finish teams off to win by a solid margin.

Friday night’s debacle is emblematic of us switching off, we are lucky that it hasn’t bitten us on the ass before.

The risk is the team will be looking over their shoulder and opposing teams will know that we will be shaky when they lift the intensity in the last quarter.

Interesting times ahead, a loss to geelong this week has the potential to completely derail our season.
This.
I played football for a club where we made the grand final (this would’ve been 9 years ago now). Browny came and did a pep talk before the game. In one sentence He basically said word for word “when you’re out there you need to have a bit of *unt in ya … go out there and be a bit of a *unt to the player you’re on or is on you, one chance so do that and get under the skin and make them work for it ” I’ll never forget that.
No one seem to make Gawn work for anything … he danced around as he pleased …

Admittedly the game has changed but there’s a soft underbelly to this team which is continually exposed in crucial games - next week’s game us probably the line in the sand game for us - Friday night was brutal in terms of ladder position - the literally gave up a home final in week 1 - we could still have one but it will be an elimination version

I have mentioned this before but I have a smidgen of doubt as to whether our boys are as dog hungry/relentless enough in pursuit of a flag as you need to be to grab the ultimate prize.

Based on no overt evidence just a bit of a gut feeling.

Berry stands out. Daniher as well. Neither care. Joe at least performs while not caring

A bit torn myself.

We should've won that match and it was really all on us at the end.

Trying to save a game when you're 4 goals up did my head in.

And no tactics to negate Gawn ,just keep kicking it straight to him.

I've been really optimistic about this year but we just don't seem to have the gorilla in us at crucial moments.

Living in hope that it all clicks into gear.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Admittedly the game has changed but there’s a soft underbelly to this team which is continually exposed in crucial games - next week’s game us probably the line in the sand game for us - Friday night was brutal in terms of ladder position - the literally gave up a home final in week 1 - we could still have one but it will be an elimination version
I think its happened so many times now in crucial games that the guys need to grit their teeth and show some real determination under pressure ,or we'll always be exposed by teams of similar ability who just have more desire.

Sad to say that's the equation.

We're still in a position to really contend this year , not many injuries, it's up to us.

Anyone independent watching us would say it's time to bite the bullet on the older guys who are a liability if the game is white hot in the last quarter.

Unless Zorko can get his fitness levels up I think he's a perfect sub in a big game . And that's it. We've got no hope of winning back to back finals with Gunston and Lyons in there .

It's plain to see .

Daniher's been awesome in nearly every game and as far as I can tell tries his guts out.

If you want to pick on anybody there's 18 in the queue ahead of him.

Joe cares in the sense that I think he's professional and wants to perform well - but he doesn't care in the somewhat psychotic, obsessive way that a Michael Voss did. The latter is obvious to supporters and a lot of people identify with that because they are obsessive about their football team.

Joe isn't like that from what I can tell and he's probably got a far more healthy outlook on life because of it. I'm not criticising him to be clear and have loved his season.

In any event, he's a big reason why we built the lead on Friday night and in retrospect I think we erred by not giving him time on ball once it was clear Oscar was powerless against Max.

You could argue Lester’s was in his early thirties
Lester had a great 2017 by the numbers. His career has been hampered a little because he has been a ‘Jack of All Trades’, but now that he has locked down the third tall backline general role he is having a renaissance.

No coincidence Rayner had his quietest game for weeks as soon as Gunston is bought back. I am getting more and more annoyed with the Gunston selection. We are holding back a potential blue chip talent for a guy who is totally cooked and being played out of loyalty by the coach. It's clear as day.
No it's not.

There is absolutely no reason why Gunston and Rayner can't both play well at the same time in the same team.

They both had good games against WCE last week . Blaming Gunston for Rayner have a poor game is daft. They are totally different types of players playing totally different roles

It's not a zero sum game.

For whatever reason , Rayner had a very quiet game but surely that is a separate issue

If one of our mids has a quiet game, do we attribute one of the other mids playing as the reason why?

Of course not.

If Daniher kicks 5 goals and Charlie fails to trouble the scorers, is Joe "holding back" Charlie?

I have mentioned this before but I have a smidgen of doubt as to whether our boys are as dog hungry/relentless enough in pursuit of a flag as you need to be to grab the ultimate prize.

Based on no overt evidence just a bit of a gut feeling.
I think it is completely evident they aren't dog hungry otherwise we don't lose in the manner we lost to Adelaide and Melbourne and certainly not drop a game against Hawthorn. Sure, you could maybe say if they dropped one of those, but three in that manner? They don't want it that bad at all and only the true company men drinking the clubs cool-aid on here will say otherwise.

neale playing out of his skin in basically every final hes played with us isnt exhibiting enough premiership hunger for you?
Where was he when it mattered on Friday night. Where were oour other leaders and where were Cam and Charlie all doing nothing and Oscar dont get me started - one of the softest acts you'll ever see on any footy field just letting Viney take the ball off him.

This.
I played football for a club where we made the grand final (this would’ve been 9 years ago now). Browny came and did a pep talk before the game. In one sentence He basically said word for word “when you’re out there you need to have a bit of *unt in ya … go out there and be a bit of a *unt to the player you’re on or is on you, one chance so do that and get under the skin and make them work for it ” I’ll never forget that.
No one seem to make Gawn work for anything … he danced around as he pleased …

Short, dumb, story. Many seasons ago - I think 2014 - my son was the onfield mascot for Lions at the Gabba v the Blues. He was 7.

He was briefed before the game to run through the banner with the team, do a half circle (like 50m) and run back through the goals to mum and dad. Instead, he ran through the banner and stayed with the team for most of a lap. When the team came back to gather in the goal square the players all took a knee and Browny addressed them. My wife asked 'where is he?' (the boy) and the answer was, in the huddle, on one knee.

He thought once he ran on, he was in the team.

The huddle ended and the players spread out to practise goal kicking. My son followed Rockliff to the 50m. Rocky looked non-plussed but told him to 'man the mark', so he did. In the end Nicole (Lions staff) had to run on and 'drag the boy' who reluctantly followed her off.

To the point: My son was buzzing but giggling and wide-eyed. Something had obviously grabbed his attention. I asked what happened in the huddle; he said 'Dad, Browny Yelled. Browny Shouted. Browny Sweared A LOT'.

Only recently did I ask if he recalled more specifics and he said that now some years later he can only remember Browny and the swearing, and that there were more swear words than other non-swear words.

Back