Review Round 18, 2023 - Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the fact you’ve raised it for the one billionth time gets across the point that this has really upset you.

I don’t think you need to keep raising it and asking why everyone else isn’t as upset as you. We have all noted your upset and distress.
I have to assume some of those things were fatigue from O as well. I think Gawn was able to run him into the ground.

How is it phony; it was a pathetic and weak act that needs calling out and something I’m still livid about, so where is the phoniness?

Late in the game, when he had run himself into the ground trying to combat one of the best ruckmen of all time, and you focus on 1 angle of one contest vs a premier midfielder? You - undoubtedly - would have grabbed the ball, baulked, had 3 bounces and hit Daniher on the chest.

There are a few crucial moments in that last Q, but with 9:20 to go and still 20 odd in front for Lester to ignore Ashcroft or Charlie and take a snap which fell way short and gave a turnover was significant.
Or when Viney literally ripped the ball out of O's hands and snapped a goal.

I mean .. JHC.

Footy desperation 101.

Fail.

We've improved the level of skills off HB - we have McKenna, Coleman and Wilmot rebounding with dare/creativity these days. If you let them play the way they were attacking during 2nd and 3rd, we win that one.

Charlie passes to Coleman who goes long to a Daniher 1 on 1, we are talking a completely different outcome here. We just lost the will with a tactics directive to ice the game and rest just fell apart. This was not players losing their way in the midst and coming to a standstill. They were asked to implement something which handed the advantage back to opposition in a platter.
We clearly cannot defend the MCG .. farcial moments in the last 5 minutes. Any well drilled team could have coped.

Get to work coaches. Earn your $$

We clearly cannot defend the MCG .. farcial moments in the last 5 minutes. Any well drilled team could have coped.

Get to work coaches. Earn your $$

We don’t defend any ground as well as the Gabba, but Friday was a bit of a weird one.

We conceded 50 points during the first 10 minutes of the game when we got jumped and the last 7 minutes when we tried to slow the game down. Melbourne also significantly exceeded their expected score.

I don’t think any of those things happen again.

He does his job but doesn't care on the outcome. Pretty simple.

What is your gripe exactly? Joe doesn’t individually control the outcome of games. Caring about outcome achieves nothing. So if he is doing his job I’m not sure what you’re upset about.

How do you know whether a player cares or not? What is the unequivocal defining feature of someone who cares?

We don’t defend any ground as well as the Gabba, but Friday was a bit of a weird one.

We conceded 50 points during the first 10 minutes of the game when we got jumped and the last 7 minutes when we tried to slow the game down. Melbourne also significantly exceeded their expected score.

Hopefully not, unless we win by a point or two.

Berry stands out. Daniher as well. Neither care. Joe at least performs while not caring

I remember when Daniher first came to the club, he would have the cheesiest grin when he missed a shot from in front 20m out after trying to snap it around the body.

Now he looks disappointed and berates himself when he misses them from 50m on an angle.

What is your gripe exactly? Joe doesn’t individually control the outcome of games. Caring about outcome achieves nothing. So if he is doing his job I’m not sure what you’re upset about.

How do you know whether a player cares or not? What is the unequivocal defining feature of someone who cares?

He is Joe Daniher.

This is in response to another poster asking if the players had the attitude to win the comp. I voiced my thoughts and I stick by them that Daniher and a few others don't give a * on what happens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember when Daniher first came to the club, he would have the cheesiest grin when he missed a shot from in front 20m out after trying to snap it around the body.

Now he looks disappointed and berates himself when he misses them from 50m on an angle.
think his attitude has changed dramatically this year

he has become quite a competitor

This is in response to another poster asking if the players had the attitude to win the comp. I voiced my thoughts and I stick by them that Daniher and a few others don't give a * on what happens.

My view is this is a bad take. Each to their own I suppose.

Joe has had a fantastic year and competes well.

I've been thinking about the same thing

Wonder if his first season was just about getting his body right and finding a love of the game again.

Now this season he's buckling down to try and achieve ultimate success before it's too late

Wonder if his first season was just about getting his body right and finding a love of the game again.

Now this season he's buckling down to try and achieve ultimate success before it's too late

As of round 16 he was the 13th best set shot in the league this season. He's had a couple of poor weeks kicking though, so he's probably dropped a bit.

He's evidently gone away and worked on his set shot kicking, which you can tell by his run up which is now straight.

As of round 16 he was the 13th best set shot in the league this season. He's had a couple of poor weeks kicking though, so he's probably dropped a bit.

He's evidently gone away and worked on his set shot kicking, which you can tell by his run up which is now straight.

Ffs my only takeaway from this is Christian Petracca on 26%. He couldn’t miss on Friday. Was slotting then from everywhere.

100% the bolded, and for a few more players who are getting on in years eg. Zorko, Neale, McCarthy, Cameron... whenever you hear a former player speak they always mention how quickly their career went, the end creeps up on you unnoticed and before you know it it is suddenly over.

The same applies in life, I have particularly noticed it with my grandchildren, before you know it they grow up and are no longer young and innocent, time f ing flies.

That isn't set shots but your point still stands

But they did.

I hope the club deals with facts because I don’t care whether something is expected or not; if it happened it happened - trying to make anyone feel better that it wouldn’t happen again is ridiculous. It did.

Tbh Oscar is a clumsy player with not much skill who most of the time tries his guts out.

If he could have that moment again obviously he would react differently but he just thought it would be a ball up and was as astounded as everyone else when Viney plucked it out of his grasp and took off.

Yes it looked terrible , crucial stage of the game, I don't think he needs to be told no one wants to see that happen again.

I'm sure he'd love to have this play again, and I imagine he was pretty gassed by that stage of the game. One out against Gawn all night would have to be the toughest assignment as a ruck.

I want to give a bit of love to Big O. He doesn't accumulate fantasy points like a lot of the other big name rucks, but he's a good, honest, hard worker, and as martinson said, he's tries his absolute guts out.

Overall Oscar's impact probably still gets under sold and underappreciated externally.

He's actually won the most clearances of any ruckmen this year, and in fact, he's 13th of all players in the league (ahead of the likes of Merrett, Butters, Macrae and even Dunkley).

Our game plan is based on taking territory and having the game played in our front half, of which Oscar is critical.

How he compares to his counterparts (post Rd 18):

Total Clearances:
93 - McInerney
87 - Marshall
77 - Blicavs
71 - Williams (WCE)
67 - Witts
61 - Darcy (FRE)
56 - Gawn
56 - O'Brien
55 - Goldstein
54 - English