Preview Round 18 - Brisbane Lions Vs Carlton Blues - Sunday 23 July 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our midfield also needs players that can win the ball. Lester can do that. We were something like +7 at centre clearances last year when he attended them IIRC. Ran 2.97 in his draft year over 20m, although that's never really translated into his game.
I remember reading an article, might have been in 2014 when he was playing much more time in the midfield. They were checking every teams centre clearance numbers when certain players were in the middle.
So for the Brisbane Lions, when Ryan Lester was present at Centre bounces the team averaged the highest clearance numbers. They did the same stat for all players who frequented centre clearances and Ryan Lester come out on top for Brisbane. Not that he was getting the highest clearances himself, but that he was creating blocks or little handballs to others who then got the clearance. I remember because I enjoyed the article, and was surprised by the outcome.

I remember reading an article, might have been in 2014 when he was playing much more time in the midfield. They were checking every teams centre clearance numbers when certain players were in the middle.
So for the Brisbane Lions, when Ryan Lester was present at Centre bounces the team averaged the highest clearance numbers. They did the same stat for all players who frequented centre clearances and Ryan Lester come out on top for Brisbane. Not that he was getting the highest clearances himself, but that he was creating blocks or little handballs to others who then got the clearance. I remember because I enjoyed the article, and was surprised by the outcome.
Need to get him in the center square on Sunday, last week we were horrendous in there.

Great post. When we were really struggling in the middle against Richmond, Fagan threw Bastinac into the midfield, but he couldn't stem the bleeding. Perhaps we give Lester a run in the middle and allow Rockliff to spend some time up forward. Might be worth a shot.

Last edited:
Great post. When we were really struggling in the middle against Richmond, Fagan threw Bastinac into the midfield, but he couldn't stem the bleeding. Perhaps we give Lester a run in the middle and allow Rockliff to spend some time up forward. Might be worth a shot.
Would be well worth a shot.

IF Lester gets selected this week, and then every week for the rest of the season, can we collectively put it to bed (at least for a season or so) and ALL accept that Lester has become a best 22 fixture, will be selected if fit for the foreseeable future? A memorandum of understanding of some sort?

Every week at selection time we hear the same stuff about him, but he keeps getting picked. The off season and preseason team selection talk about him is going to get so old!!

Like it or not, agree or not, surely we can get to a point where we can accept him for what he is and start look past his deficiencies. More to the point, stop agonising over it each week! No player is perfect, and lots are far from it. All players have a weakness, and lots have multiple weaknesses.

He's clearly liked at the club. I personally think he'll play lots and lots more games for our mighty club.

Of the players brought into the squad, obviously Gardiner is in,but other than that I'm not fussed if any of the rest don't. Close would make us too tall, Paparone doesn't have a place to take unless they want to play him more on the wing and I can't see who Barrett would replace.

Cutler will probably remain in the side and be given more time,but I think he has been very ordinary for an extended period and really needs to pull his finger out. I'm a Cutler fan,but gee he's been going missing lately. Missing tackles with poor kicking and decision making. He's the perfect specimen to be an explosive half back or winger,just needs to get his head right again.

Lester is so hard to judge. On one hand he has a few games where he looks putrid and slow for the majority of a match apart from a couple of positives. Then every now and then he'll have one of those games where he gets forward and kicks a couple of handy goals when we really need them and puts himself in the right position. I'm not desperate to get rid of Lester just yet,but I'd like to see a more consistent output from him rather than the occasional tradesmen like game 2 of every 6 games.

Id say only the one change is necessary. Last week we let the pressure off richmond (i mean dustin martin) for a qtr and that was the difference. No we play a team with less finals aspirations with the same team (all but one). I say we can do this. I would like to see schache and hipwood get another 2-3 each although if one kicks a bag and the other is quite ill take that too.

I'd not want to be seen DEAD wearing that combo... but I realise it's popular with a few fellow countrymen. Don't hold it against all Krauts, please ;-)
If I may ask, whereabouts in Bavaria do you fly the Lions flag?
I'm in Pfaffenhofen a.d. Ilm, about halfway up the autobahn from Munich to Ingolstadt.

My boy wears his lions gernsey to school, despite no other kids having any clue who the lions are, or even what AFL is!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree 100% . Rockliff obviously injured so move him up forward. He has terrific goal sense & give Lester midfield time. Beams also playing while not 100% which is a concern especially when we have some midfielder options to try at the moment. Hope McLuggage has a better game this week. He looked scared last week against Richmond. Been saying it for the last 6 weeks....Hipwood needs a rest. He's played every game this year as the key forward. Big ask for a teenager and imo not good player management.
Its very much a winnable game providing we get our share of center clearances rather than being smashed like last week.

Really like what I saw from Cox. His first quarter was fairly poor... bad decision making and squibbed a few contests but at quarter time Fagan took him aside and he was a totally different player after that. Was his best game and started to see a bit of lateral movement with ball in hand which is something he didn't do in his previous gams. Got out of a pickle more than once with a shimmy of the hips and sidestep. I think he will take a while to fully develop but the potential is there :thumbsu:

Posted by Dylan in the reserves thread, but worth a reminder;
http://www.lions.com.au/news/2017-07-20/curtain-raisers-to-return
The Lions can confirm that the NEAFL Round 17 (AFL Round 18) and Round 20 NEAFL (AFL Round 21) fixtures will be played at the Gabba:

NEAFL Round 17
Brisbane Lions v Redland Bombers
Sunday, July 23
The Gabba @ 1.00pm
- prior to the Round 18 AFL match between the Brisbane Lions and Carlton at 4.40pm

NEAFL Round 20
Brisbane Lions v Gold Coast SUNS
Saturday, 12 August
The Gabba @ 12.55pm
- prior to the Round 21 AFL match between the Brisbane Lions and Gold Coast SUNS at 4.35pm

The upcoming curtain raiser matches will not only provide some of the younger Lions players with a rare opportunity to play at a first-class AFL stadium, but also provide fans the chance to see both the Senior and NEAFL sides play in succession at the same venue.

Public entrance for the above fixtures will be through Gate 2 only, with gates opening from 12.45pm.

All patrons will require a full AFL match ticket to gain access to the NEAFL curtain raisers.

All season game entry members will be able to access the Match Day Social Club from 12:45pm to watch the game. Entry via Gate 6 and proof of 2017 membership must be shown upon entry.

The Club hopes that all members and supporters take advantage of these rare Gabba curtain raisers, and encourages all fans to arrive earlier than usual to cheer on both Lions teams.

Other thing to note:

Public Access

- Gate 2 and Sections 28 – 37 will be the only permitted access points for patrons with a general seating ticket to the event.

- Although patrons require match ticket to the Senior game to enter the ground, they will not be permitted to sit in corresponding seats.

- Ticket office at Gate 2 will be open for patrons to purchase tickets.

- Area VIP Lounge via Corporate Gate 1 will be operational for the curtain raiser. Seating outside will be the only accessible space in corporate until 2.45pm when all corporate gates open.

Gate 1 – Any patron with a corporate ticket will be able to view the curtain raiser from Area VIP Lounge and mid-tier seating only.

Gate 6 – Match Day Social club in Champions room will be available for Lions Members to view the curtain raiser.
Just stay out of the front row of section 34, thanks.

IF Lester gets selected this week, and then every week for the rest of the season, can we collectively put it to bed (at least for a season or so) and ALL accept that Lester has become a best 22 fixture, will be selected if fit for the foreseeable future? A memorandum of understanding of some sort?

Every week at selection time we hear the same stuff about him, but he keeps getting picked. The off season and preseason team selection talk about him is going to get so old!!

Like it or not, agree or not, surely we can get to a point where we can accept him for what he is and start look past his deficiencies. More to the point, stop agonising over it each week! No player is perfect, and lots are far from it. All players have a weakness, and lots have multiple weaknesses.

He's clearly liked at the club. I personally think he'llplay lots and lots more games for our mighty club.
That's taking accentuate the positive, to a new extreme.

Well it is confirmed I can make the game. Yay! But we are now doomed.

But Chief is coming. So, we are saved. Lions by 20.

Well it is confirmed I can make the game. Yay! But we are now doomed.

But Chief is coming. So, we are saved. Lions by 20.
I am pretty sure this is a chance of maybe happening.

Didn't Hugh Mcluggage say Lester was his biggest influence since moving up here?

I think he plays a special role heading up the young brigade, whether or not that excuses patchy form I don't know.

He is a role player who is the second most efficient kick by foot in the AFL (for any player this year over 100 kicks).. in 2017, something we need more of.

His last couple of weeks have been average but lets see if he can turn it around agaimts some more reasonable opposition.

Well watched the replay of League Teams last night hoping for some insight or at least informed discussion.They showed the Lions and Carlton teams at the start but did not mention the match at all. Am I missing something?I was sure we were part of the AFL.

Well watched the replay of League Teams last night hoping for some insight or at least informed discussion.They showed the Lions and Carlton teams at the start but did not mention the match at all. Am I missing something?I was sure we were part of the AFL.
We've been left out of League teams discussion multiple times this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back