Preview Round 19 - Carlton v Gold Coast Suns @ Metricon Stadium 28 July 2018, 7.25pm - Team post #244

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
Carlton V Gold Coast Suns

Saturday 28 July 2018 @ 7.25pm

Metricon Stadium

Forecast: 24C during the day, but single figures overnight - Brrrrrrr

Head to Head:

Played 9 – Carlton 5 wins, Gold Coast 4 wins,

At Metricon Stadium: Carlton 2, Gold Coast 2

Last Time They Met: Gold Coast 15.11.101 def Carlton 9.13.67

Last Round: Carlton 7.10.52 lost to Hawthorn 18.16.124

Gold Coast 12.16.88 def Sydney 8.16.64

This is a game which will probably go unnoticed by most of the competition. The Suns caused the biggest boilover in knocking off the Swans at the SCG in Round 18 & will go in to this game as red hot favourites. A youthful & injury impacted Carlton is coming of a big loss to Hawthorn & of course has had a year to forget & would seem now to be locks for the #1 draft pick.

Key Players

Carlton

Paddy Cripps – Is in career best form having taken his game to a whole new level this season

Charlie Curnow – The most exciting player at the club, perhaps in the whole competition. Has kicked multiple goals on a number of occasions this season.

Matt Kennedy – It is important that he has an influence in the midfield, particularly if Cripps is to be allowed to rest forward, where he can be dangerous.

Kade Simpson – Will need to provide plenty of run from defence for Carlton to have any chance of getting enough Inside 50s to post a winnable score.

Gold Coast

Jarrod Witts – Has been a fantastic pick up by the Suns & if he dominates in the ruck, the Suns will be well on the way to victory

Lachlan Weller – High priced recruit who has been receiving mixed reviews. Showed against the Swans what he is capable of in accumulating 23 disposals, kicking 2 goals & providing 6 inside 50s.

Aaron Young – 4 goals, 17 disposals, 6 tackles made Young a key contributor in the upset win over the Swans. Had a 37 goal season for Port 2 years ago, so is a real danger near goals.

Peter Wright – Is the type of player that when out of form might turn it around against us. His height will worry our defence & if given quality delivery by his teammates, could really hit the scoreboard

Who Will Win & Why

Gold Coast should go into this game as short priced favourites, coming off their impressive win against the Swans at the SCG. Carlton has suffered a world of pain this season & although we have showed some great resilience against the better teams in the competition, we have disappointed in encounters with teams closer to us on the ladder. One positive for Carlton compared to the last meeting between the 2 clubs is the absence of Tom Lynch who kicked 8 goals last time around.

Coach Bolton will see this as a winnable game & should have the players up & about accordingly.

Carlton by 16 points.

expect Gold Coast to celebrate their win over Sydney and get ahead of themselves- we are a chance
Saying that usually when we travel to Qld we are in holiday mode

Out: Shaw(Om), Graham(Om), Casboult(Om), Fisher(inj), SPS(rest)
In: Byrne, Lang, Garlett, Thomas, Lamb

Fb: Silvagni Jones Byrne
Hb: Garlett Weitering Simpson
C: Lang E. Curnow Marchbank
Hf: Wright C. Curnow Polson
Ff: Pickett Mckay Kennedy
R: Lobbe Cripps Dow
I/c: Murphy O’Brien Lamb Thomas

Shaw won't be omitted, wasn't the worst today.

OUT - Zac Fisher (Injured), Liam Jones (Injured), Levi Casboult (Omitted), Nick Graham (Omitted)
IN - Dale Thomas, Sam Rowe, Angus Schumacher, Jed Lamb
NEED TO LIFT - Charlie Curnow, Paddy Dow, Caleb Marchbank, Marc Murphy, Matthew Shaw
NEW - Angus Schumacher (Bendigo Pioneers U18)

FB -
Matthew Shaw, Sam Rowe, Caleb Marchbank
HB - Lochie O'Brien, Jacob Weitering, Kade Simpson
C - Marc Murphy, Patrick Cripps, Sam Petrevski-Seton
HF - Ed Curnow, Charlie Curnow, Cameron Polson
FF - Jarrod Pickett, Harry McKay, Matthew Wright
R - Matthew Lobbe, Matthew Kennedy, Paddy Dow
I - Jack Silvagni, Angus Schumacher, Dale Thomas, Jed Lamb

E - Jarrod Garlett, Aaron Mullett, Cameron O'Shea, Matthew Kreuzer

WHY OUT?
I suspect Fisher will be out for the rest of the year (might be wrong, but it could be a hairline fracture). Jones would have some bone/muscle bruising around his leg so that could be a 1-2 week injury (then again, maybe not). Casboult dropped and to not return again (unless further injuries to others come by, which wouldn't at all surprise me given our s**t luck). Graham out as well.

WHY IN?
Thomas will walk in. Expect Rowe to be back. Same with Lamb (though I'm not hoping for it). Schumacher to be the 1199th player (I think) to don the blues jumper (let's see how hard he goes at it).

WHY NOT?
Wouldn't bother with Kreuzer to be honest? He's only going to get injured in some other way again. Besides, Lobbe was alright and deserves another game.
Garlett another possible option, but I'm not too sure about him.

Not exciting ins. But the gods seem to be against us this year.

Last edited:

SPS rested, lmfao. Just drop him for continual s**t efforts

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Why are we calling for graham
Out. He was good today. We will have 4/5 injuries to worry about. I expect 5-6 changes all injury related plus Shaw and casboult who are rubbish.

I saw Shaw actually in front of smith in a marking contest actually turn and jump behind him and let him mark it. Rubbish. Won’t play again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

5 goals down at qtr time and same idiots making same excuses and having a go at people who aren't happy with how we are performing as a club.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
5 goals up at quarter time.

Doom and gloomers jump aboard the bandwagon shouting the praises of everyone, board to bootstudders.

Wagons ho!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back