Preview Round 18: Carlton v Viva Brisvegas Sunday 23 July 4.40pm @ Gabba - Final Team post #402

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kismet

Premium Platinum
Jan 30, 2009
Mornington
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Barnsley, Detroit Tigers
To properly research this clash, I rang the AFL to confirm the starting time for the game, and they replied "What time can you get there?"

Later it was set at 4.40pm on Sunday (or 9.40am in my neck of the woods).

So this promises to be an intriguing match with a lock-in crowd attending.

In reality, this will be a contest of several potential new stars on each side, with the good guys already having five Rising Star nominees, and Brisvegas with two: Eric Hipwood and Hugh McCluggage. On the injury front, the Lions are faring well, with only Mitch Robinson missing of those guaranteed being nominated in their best side. For Carlton it's a different story, with key players Cripps, Ed Curnow, Caleb Marchbank and possibly David Cuningham (as usual the club has been deafening in its silence on the severity of his hip injury), Tom Williamson (listed as 'one week', but who the hell knows what's really happening) and Dale Thomas out.

The match ups:

In the engine room Brisbane have a decided advantage, with quality players such as Zorko, Rockliff and Dayne Beams leading the way. For us the picture's not so rosy. Gibbs and Murphy are having outstanding seasons, but then the depth of quality drops away dramatically. Kerridge, Boekhorst and Graham are honest toilers, but normally wouldn't be in our best twenty-two. Fisher is undoubtedly going to be brilliant in the future, but it's late in the season and he will likely start to feel the pinch at some stage. Zorko can cause the most damage, so in the absence of Ed Curnow, it will be up to Kerridge or Graham to keep him quiet. The ruck will be the most entertaining pairing, with both Kreuzer and Martin quality players. Krooz has been in All-Australian form, so I expect him to add another scalp to his belt, especially as the promising Archie Smith isn't in their team to provide Martin relief.

Our defence will, as usual, do a sterling job. We have depth down back that must be the envy of most other clubs. Jones' story has been well documented. Docherty, Simpson, Weitering and Plowman have all had good seasons, and Alex Silvagni has been rejuvenated beyond all expectation. They should compete well against the northerner attack, but there's polish in that group, with Hipwood showing huge talent and Schache looking like he's got his mind right having re-committed to the club. This provides for some interesting match-ups, with Jones probably going to Hipwood and Weitering renewing acquaintances with Schache. Keeping Lewis Taylor quiet will be a challenge, and Plowman is likely to have first opportunity.

Up forward things are looking marginally brighter for us since the start of the season. The emergence of Charlie Curnow has made our attack more dynamic, and Jack Silvagni's work rate has been outstanding through the year. Casboult has been the usual mixed bag. A marking battering ram some weeks, he is still inconsistent. Levi's made improvements in his accuracy, but 24 goals from sixteen games is hardly a massive return and he doesn't seem to be bringing the ball to ground as effectively for our crumbers as he was earlier in the year. The Brions defence has been improving progressively through 2017, with Chris Fagan getting them to work much better as a unit. While they don't have the equivalent of a Sam Docherty in their line-up, their disposal out of the back half is getting better each week. Witherden looks a real talent, and Andrews, Cutler and Walker combine well.

Team changes:

Williamson and Cuningham to come in if fit, and this looks like the right sort of game to give Harry McKay his first run. I didn't see the Northern game this week, but it seems he got his hands on the pill a bit more during ruck time and it seems he did ok.

The 'outs' from the Dishlicker's game have to include Sumner. He's ok when he gets it, but six possessions and zero tackles are all too familiar statistics for him. Weitering is looking sluggish and maybe should have at least a week or two off. Macreadie had a good game for Northern and can replace Weitering, and maybe Armfield can come in for a swan song game in replacement for Sumner (assuming Thomas and Cuningham aren't available).

If Williamson is available, bring him in for Graham or Boekhorst. Graham tries hard, but he's too slow with his decision making, and his execution is very average.

Last time we met:

Brisbane got out to a seven goal lead just after half-time late last season and held on to win by four points, with inaccuracy costing us dearly: 15-9-99 to 13-17-95.

We've lost four of the last five games against this mob, with our last win in June last year at Etihad by 38 points.

Overall our record against them since they merged with Fitzroy is 15-16.

Prediction:

In the weeks leading up to this contest, I'd had it penciled in as a guaranteed win, but now I'm not so confident. Brisbane can be a fragile unit, but as their come-from-behind win over the Bummers at Etihad demonstrated, there's some good talent coming through and Fagan is instilling belief.

However, as good a job as the new Lions coach has done, Bolton has done better.

Overall, the crucial injuries of Cripps and Ed Curnow mean we're up against it. The quality of the opposition's mid-field means that delivery into their forward line will be strong, so our defence will, yet again, be the determining factor. The loss against the Bulldogs exposed our lack of depth and class in the middle, and Brisbane might be good enough to cause the same problem.

Sad to say, but I'm tipping the Bears by two goals.

OUT - Alex Silvagni (Injured), Dylan Buckley (Injured), Ciaran Byrne (Injured), Liam Sumner (Omitted), Jacob Weitering (Omitted)

IN - David Cuningham, Tom Williamson, Kristian Jaksch, Harrison Macreadie, Dale Thomas

FB - Harrison Macreadie, Liam Jones, Tom Williamson
HB - Dale Thomas, Kade Simpson, Lachie Plowman
C - Sam Docherty, David Cuningham, Nick Graham
HF - Jed Lamb, Charlie Curnow, Zac Fisher
FF - Jack Silvagni, Levi Casboult, Matthew Wright
R - Matthew Kreuzer, Bryce Gibbs, Marc Murphy

I - Samo Petrevski-Seton, Sam Kerridge, Kristian Jaksch, Blaine Boekhorst

E - Ciaran Sheehan, Liam Sumner, Jacob Weitering

A.Silvagni aggravated his knee. That looks like another few weeks out. Buckley certain to miss while Byrne may seem less likely, but there is no point in risking him. Sumner has been extremely disappointing and never takes his opportunities.
Weitering as of now is hard to watch. Confidence looks shot. Kicking is ordinary. A bad case of the second year blues. Have to omit him.

Cuningham, Thomas and Williamson all come straight back in. Macreadie will be needed. Time to see if Jaksch could save his footy career with a couple of chances.

Last edited:

McKay must play. Nothing to be gained by him sitting down forward in a VFL team with nobody in the midfield because everyone else is in the seniors covering injuries.

I agree and he may not fare well, but at least he's get a taste for things.
Hold him down in the VFL for too long and he'll die a slow death.

If Weitering is to play, let's just play him forward.
Right now, I'd sooner Macreadie play back than Jacob. In fact I've wanted that all year.

Been writing this one off as more than likely a loss for a while, now I'm even more leaning in that direction. The Bears are a plucky young mob and the likes of Zorko and Rockliff will reliably kill us no doubt.

I'd love to be proven wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane have played a lot worse than us this year, on paper we should win but the game is played on grass. Wouldn't be surprised if we lose this one, just like last year.
Very even match on paper - we have the worst depth in the Afl our bottom 5 today just terrible

This really is a must win game...don't want any chance of us finishing last.

But with our injuries and constantly having to make mass changes, travelling and the fact Brisbane have troubled us in the past and don't have that many key injuries, this could easily be a loss.

Rest of the season needs to be a bit more about development. Wins aren't everything at the moment.

Bring Pickett back in, Macreadie as well, Williamson a possible. Time for McKay to play. 4-5 games for him will be a benefit for 2018. Hope to see Polson and Kerr at some stage as well.

IMO Sumner Buckley & Boekhurst aren't up to it and at best Kerridge and Graham are depth.

Been impressed with JGM last 2 weeks. Hope it's not to late

Just like he did last year Zorko will have a field day.

Anyway Sumner, Buckley ASOS (can't take a trick) and Byrne if he's injured (looked fine in the after match interview - but so did Daisy last week).

In - Williamson, Daisy, Cunners and McKay.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rest of the season needs to be a bit more about development. Wins aren't everything at the moment.

Bring Pickett back in, Macreadie as well, Williamson a possible. Time for McKay to play. 4-5 games for him will be a benefit for 2018. Hope to see Polson and Kerr at some stage as well.

IMO Sumner Buckley & Boekhurst aren't up to it and at best Kerridge and Graham are depth.

Been impressed with JGM last 2 weeks. Hope it's not to late

Pickett is also wasted at VFL but I can't see the MC giving him game. He was terrible against Essendon.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Injuries and sub par efforts (not even thinking about the sub par skill execution too) means I want to see something along the lines of:

Outs: Sumner (Omitted), Buckley (Injured), Asos (Injured), Byrne (Injured), Boekhorst (Omitted), Graham (Omitted), Weitering (Rested)
Ins: Thomas (Think it was just tightness and should be right), Smedts, Jaksch, Mckay, Macreadie, Williamson, Cuningham or Palmer

Then line up like:

FB: Macreadie, Jones, Williamson
HB: Simpson, Plowman, Thomas
C: Docherty, Murphy, Smedts
HF: Sos, C Curnow, Fisher
FF: Wright, Casboult, Cuningham/Palmer
R: Kreuzer, Gibbs, Kerridge
I/C: Mckay, Lamb, SPS, Jaksch

Emergencies... whoever is left thats still fit.

FMD injuries and form dips have all struck at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back