Preview Round 18: Carlton v Viva Brisvegas Sunday 23 July 4.40pm @ Gabba - Final Team post #402

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon running around with all of the Carlton boys from his draft year will be pretty special, and they will be absolutely willing him to do well, especially having Jack and Charlie in close proximity.

Pretty amazing that all 5 2015 draftees are playing tomorrow...with 3 of them being forwards.

Agree with that .
The unexpected emergence of Jones has changed a few things and opened up more options for the team .
Jones Marchbank Macreadie and Plowman see us well served for talls in defense .
Weitering has also surprised this year ... he's human after all !!
Perhaps a combination of second year blues and being thrown around the ground in different roles to soon has seen him looking a little below our lofty expectations this year .
But Weitering is a footballer , top shelf with real footy smarts that are needed to play forward .
We need to train up a forward line structure based around Weitering C.Curnow McKay and J.Silvagni with a few smalls to round it out .
Weitering and Silvagni have the footy smarts whilst Curnow and McKay supply the power and explosion .
Those 4 boys arrived together and will always have that initial bond inside the team environment itself .

TBH it's great that we're having these selection headaches, but it is difficult to fit all those guys you mentioned in one team even though they all deserve it.

Defenders: Jones, Marchbank, Macreadie & Plowman
Forwards: SOSOS, Curnow, McKay & Weitering

All these guys appear to be future best 22 players for us, problem is i'm skeptical about the success of a team with 4 key defenders and 4 key forwards, even if Curnow is a bit more of a hybrid that's way too many talls.

Who knows we could set a new trend where this tactic sets us apart and we become a top team but i doubt it...the rules of the game today mean you need a good amount of speed and midfield runners in your team.

I'd like to see Jacob as a forward. He ain't quick enough to play on a leading forward in defence.

It is quite a glaring weakness unfortunately with Jacob...not very fast and doesn't possess good closing speed like Jones does, which means he needs to pretty much always play in front of his man or on an opponent who doesn't lead up that much.

We do have a bit of a selection issue at with our talls. I'm not convinced we can have all of Weitering, Curnow, SOSOS & McKay in one forward line either.

One good thing is that the Bears got rid of that little ginger campaigner Greene.

Always looked at him as an Essendon type player .

He killed us on the regular

Agree with that .
The unexpected emergence of Jones has changed a few things and opened up more options for the team .
Jones Marchbank Macreadie and Plowman see us well served for talls in defense .
Weitering has also surprised this year ... he's human after all !!
Perhaps a combination of second year blues and being thrown around the ground in different roles to soon has seen him looking a little below our lofty expectations this year .
But Weitering is a footballer , top shelf with real footy smarts that are needed to play forward .
We need to train up a forward line structure based around Weitering C.Curnow McKay and J.Silvagni with a few smalls to round it out .
Weitering and Silvagni have the footy smarts whilst Curnow and McKay supply the power and explosion .
Those 4 boys arrived together and will always have that initial bond inside the team environment itself .

Vulnerable at the Gabba ?? I remember the 2009 Elimination final. We were so far in front at 3 Quarter time I went off to the pub to celebrate.

Didn't even watch the last quarter. Happy hunting ground for us !!

Vulnerable at the Gabba ?? I remember the 2009 Elimination final. We were so far in front at 3 Quarter time I went off to the pub to celebrate.

Didn't even watch the last quarter. Happy hunting ground for us !!
Was that the game Bradshaw put the lions in front and won the game for them ..?

TBH it's great that we're having these selection headaches, but it is difficult to fit all those guys you mentioned in one team even though they all deserve it.

Defenders: Jones, Marchbank, Macreadie & Plowman
Forwards: SOSOS, Curnow, McKay & Weitering

All these guys appear to be future best 22 players for us, problem is i'm skeptical about the success of a team with 4 key defenders and 4 key forwards, even if Curnow is a bit more of a hybrid that's way too many talls.

Who knows we could set a new trend where this tactic sets us apart and we become a top team but i doubt it...the rules of the game today mean you need a good amount of speed and midfield runners in your team.

Can't agree more, go in too tall every week.

The reason why I'd listen to potential offers for Jones, we need more speed and run through midfield and forward and we're only going to get good ones via the draft or trades and we don't have a second rounder at this point in time.

Getting Kelly and losing Gibbs doesn't make us better...nil all draw AFAIC

(Log in to remove this ad.)

XXX Jones XXX
XXX Weitering XXXX
XXX Kreuzer XXX
XXX Casboult XXX
XXX Harry XXX

First time in a long tome I can see the beginnings of a genuine old school finals style spine. I want to see some mongrel.

Reminiscent of the signs they used to have at the front of the CrazyHorse on Elizabeth Street.

But you wouldn't know anything about that, would you, JAB?

Oh yes i don't expect much...first game, injured most of last year and december birthday etc. Just need to see the traits as you said.

Daniher only really started to come on last year and has had a breakout season this year, his 5th year of AFL.

Hipwood has surprised though at just how quickly he's come on...only a 2nd year same as Harry, best performed ahead of also Schache and Weidaman.
Can anyone remember whether Hipwood or Harry were higher rated before the draft? Obviously Harry was taken earlier but Hipwood was part of Brisbane's academy.

They were both rated highly

Hipwood showed that he could play at both ends, due to his speed and agility, has a good level of aggression. I had him slightly ahead in ratings. Harry is not as naturally agile compared to Hipwood, but does have a massive tank, sure that he beep tested in the 14s' at the combine. Couple of things that will set Harry apart as he develops, tries to take the ball at its highest point and makes good choices when distributing if he is further up the ground. Loves contest !

Am I wrong in thinking we are better than Brisbane across all three "lines" of the park? I'd back our mids to be more effective than theirs, our defence is solid and there are more notable and experienced forwards in our team than theirs. It should be a decent win for us.
Maybe for body strength, but they've got a lot of young talent in the mix at the moment.

We have the height advantage up forward, but we need to be wary of their speed and foot skills: Witherden, Rich, Mayes, McCluggage, Zorko, Berry, Taylor, Rockliff and Cox.

Mathieson and Barrett will dig in pretty hard, but they're foot soldiers, at least at this point. We need to control possession, and we've got the advantage there.

We can grind out the win here if we don't get disheartened by how quickly they'll score over the top at times.

They were both rated highly

Hipwood showed that he could play at both ends, due to his speed and agility, has a good level of aggression. I had him slightly ahead in ratings. Harry is not as naturally agile compared to Hipwood, but does have a massive tank, sure that he beep tested in the 14s' at the combine. Couple of things that will set Harry apart as he develops, tries to take the ball at its highest point and makes good choices when distributing if he is further up the ground. Loves contest !
It's important to remember that Hipwood would barely have notched over 90kgs at this point, while Harry has put on muscle in the system.

Different playing styles, but I suspect Hipwood won't have all of Buddy's tricks despite having some of his speed.

If we let dane zorko run around doin what he wants i will absolutely lose it
Also i wish we would start kicking some goals instead of kicking 4 or 5 in the first qrt then barley kicking another goal for the rest of the game and just racking up stats that mean nothing . Its depressing watching Essenscum play a high scoring exciting game while we are lucky to kick 10 goals and still lose

Pretty amazing that all 5 2015 draftees are playing tomorrow...with 3 of them being forwards.

4 forwards: McKay, Silvagni, CCurnow & Weitering. :)

Interesting also that three of those four players were/are bottom-agers.
McKay & Silvagni with December birthdays and Weiteirng having a late November birthdate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back