Prediction Round 18: Changes Vs Geelong + pre-match discussion (THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTY BABY)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a shot at Rob, but I really don't get the argument that we're overrated because we haven't beaten anyone yet (Sydney put aside conveniently). Your position on the ladder at this stage of the season is usually indicative of your ability to beat the teams below you.

If we'd beaten the Bulldogs but lost to Collingwood would that really make our season any more or any less impressive? We're not going to suddenly be a force if we turn over Geelong on Thursday.

Not a shot at Rob, but I really don't get the argument that we're overrated because we haven't beaten anyone yet (Sydney put aside conveniently). Your position on the ladder at this stage of the season is usually indicative of your ability to beat the teams below you.

If we'd beaten the Bulldogs but lost to Collingwood would that really make our season any more or any less impressive? We're not going to suddenly be a force if we turn over Geelong on Thursday.

Maybe not just Geelong, but we've got an opportunity to put some sides away that (importantly) we play at Optus.

4 games - all winnable. But if we can't at least beat Richmond and the Eagles, we're simply pretenders and have no business being in the finals discussion.

Maybe not just Geelong, but we've got an opportunity to put some sides away that (importantly) we play at Optus.

4 games - all winnable. But if we can't at least beat Richmond and the Eagles, we're simply pretenders and have no business being in the finals discussion.

I agree, the narrative of our season shifts drastically if we win most of our games over the next month.

My point is though, I think our position on the ladder currently reflects the fact that we're a decent side who generally beat the teams below them but struggle against higher quality opposition which fits the 7-10 bracket we'll likely find ourselves in come September. We're appropriately rated and deserve to be sitting just inside the 8 atm.

I agree, the narrative of our season shifts drastically if we win most of our games over the next month.

My point is though, I think our position on the ladder currently reflects the fact that we're a decent side who generally beat the teams below them but struggle against higher quality opposition which fits the 7-10 bracket we'll likely find ourselves in come September. We're appropriately rated and deserve to be sitting just inside the 8 atm.
We are just inside the 8 sitting on 32 points along with 3 other clubs. It certainly isn't definitive, so your 7-10 bracket is spot on. Results of other club's games will shape the final ladder, but really isn't a factor on our performance. We control that.

If we win on Thursday, Richmond, Essendon and GWS will bust their nuts to try and win their own games. Giants are playing Sydney, who we play the week after, so I hope they run them into the ground.

If we win on Thursday, Richmond, Essendon and GWS will bust their nuts to try and win their own games. Giants are playing Sydney, who we play the week after, so I hope they run them into the ground.

If I learnt anything from following Hull in League One this year it's better to be setting the standard than chasing it with games in hand.

Sounds like he'll be playing another week at Peel to get full minutes up, I wouldnt bank on either him or Hughes coming in.

I think you can lock him in for next week though

I expect one of them to come in and probably Hughes given his shoulder would have allowed him to do a lot more running than Young (hammy) who may need to build his fitness a bit more

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Confidence of fans going into this, the importance of the game and the Thursday night slot just reads as an incoming Docker Shocker performance.

Confidence of fans going into this, the importance of the game and the Thursday night slot just reads as an incoming Docker Shocker performance.
Nah, I reckon we are passed the shocker performances for the this year, especially with the added importance of the Starlight game. Game will be won or lost on whether we can kick straight and head into the forwardline with any kind of efficiency IMO

We match up against Geelong, apart from that game last year when they trounced us when it was wet at Optus.
Even two years ago at the Cattery, Darcy tore them a new one and we almost pinched it. From memory Sonny missed a shot that would've put us in front.
I feel like it'll be close

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at our last few games we've certainly been improving as a team and I fully expect us to maintain that improvement. And it's interesting to see that longmuir has been letting the players off the leash a bit lately.
I'd much rather be in our position than in the shoes of the Eagles and Richmond.
Getting back to the theme I expect us to win against Geelong, Richmond and Eagles with close games against St Kilda and Sydney.

I didn't say he was right about everything. Only that we haven't really beaten anyone yet.
We beat Sydney. Were on Dogs heels until the whole team got injured.

Derby was **** I'll grant but its the really poor performance outside Carlton all season.

Every other top 8 side we played away and we were above average in competitiveness for all of them bar maybe Port.

The only games we should have won but didn't were the Bombers and Carlton the 2nd time and both of those were only goalkicking. To suggest we haven't beaten anyone is just lazy.

We beat Sydney. Were on Dogs heels until the whole team got injured.

Derby was **** I'll grant but its the really poor performance outside Carlton all season.

Every other top 8 side we played away and we were above average in competitiveness for all of them bar maybe Port.

The only games we should have won but didn't were the Bombers and Carlton the 2nd time and both of those were only goalkicking. To suggest we haven't beaten anyone is just lazy.
It’s technically correct but meaningless and a nothing argument.

Hell, if you’d looked at the ladder last week we would have beaten two in the top 8…

There's been a lot of rain in Perth and only 3 days between games at the stadium so it'll be a heavy track. That combined with the 5 day break I'd bring in Blakely and Conca for Walker and Henry. Henry comes straight back in against the Swans.

There's been a lot of rain in Perth and only 3 days between games at the stadium so it'll be a heavy track. That combined with the 5 day break I'd bring in Blakely and Conca for Walker and Henry. Henry comes straight back in against the Swans.

I was just thinking to myself how we get some bigger bodied, attritional style players involved this week.
I can’t remember our performances on heavy and wet tracks other than the pumping by Geelong last year.
Hopefully the coaching staff show some footage of that, we were playing a dry weather style that was head shakingly poor

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That was the first game where I have seen Optus struggle with drainage. Let's hope for better conditions come Thursday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back