Opinion Round 18 Changes vs. GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Zac Dawson is a lot of things, but a forward he is not.

He has a lot better record in the 2nds as a forward than Alex Pearce does, just saying. His best is 8 goals in a game for box hill.

I think it's likely that Pearce is being groomed as the replacement for Luke McPharlin, I can't see the match committee trying to confuse him by playing him as a swingman this early in his career.

I'd like to be wrong though, it would be exciting to watch him line up there, I just don't think it's likely.

Just to be a pain, Luke McPharlin kicked 8 the last game before he was drafted.

That was in the WAFL reserves though, not league. McPharlin was pretty serviceable when he played as a forward earlier in his career with us, I wouldn't mind seeing him play forward either.

I just think it's most likely we are going to go in with 3 tall defenders and a small forward line, since that's always what Lyon has preferred. We've subbed Taberner off in 75% of the games he's played for us and never in that time have we swung any tall defenders forward, we've always gone with a smaller forward setup.

Last edited:
The question for me is, how far away is Silvagni and Johnno?

Assuming silva or johnno are only a couiple of weeks away, then what happens to Alex when they return? He's been far too good to drop, so a stint up forward (where he has played previously as a junior) is almost certainly on the cards.

Frankly in Alex and Mayne I think we have a KP backman who can play forward, and vice versa. Mayne can kick goals when he's in form but he's not a tall target and a third tall defender can make him ineffective. Alex however is well over 200cm and reads the play like its a graphic novel.

Rotating alex forward and mayne back mid-game could create some real match-up headaches for opposing teams.

Last edited:
And we're sitting higher on the ladder than any other team in the AFL too.

Life ain't all that bad. Just reading another chapter of Matt Price's masterpiece as a reminder of how far we have come. Did you want me to scan you a chapter or two?
:thumbsu:

And we're sitting higher on the ladder than any other team in the AFL too.

Life ain't all that bad. Just reading another chapter of Matt Price's masterpiece as a reminder of how far we have come. Did you want me to scan you a chapter or two?
Would love to get my hands on a copy actually. Anybody know where you can get one from?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I know, hence the query. I looked awhile back but thought perhaps the online stores were just out of stock at the time. There's one brand new online for $1,100 US!!! Seems the only copies available are in the states for a mint. Bizarre.

I'm shocked this is no longer printed, surely Fremantle Arts Centre Press or the club itself should get behind this and get a re-print happening, would have thought it is absolute required reading for any Dockers supporter. The old man has a copy but I really want one for myself (but am not made of money) and would love it to be available to all of us Dockers fans.

Might start up a thread on this, maybe some out there have some sway at the club or at the printers.

Would love to get my hands on a copy actually. Anybody know where you can get one from?

A few years ago I got a copy from the local library (Spearwood), just did a quick check and looks like they don't have it any more :(. Still you could try your local.

Also State Library should at least have a copy that you can read there (there is some sort of statutory requirement that at least one copy of everything published in WA should be held in the State Library). Unfortunately their catalogue system seems down at the moment so can't confirm.

Even though it's now dated, it still is a great read and a must for any Freo fan who wants a sense of where we've come from.

A few years ago I got a copy from the local library (Spearwood), just did a quick check and looks like they don't have it any more :(. Still you could try your local.

Also State Library should at least have a copy that you can read there (there is some sort of statutory requirement that at least one copy of everything published in WA should be held in the State Library). Unfortunately their catalogue system seems down at the moment so can't confirm.

Even though it's now dated, it still is a great read and a must for any Freo fan who wants a sense of where we've come from.
It's one of the few unique rites of passage for die-hards in my opinion.

Yeah there's a few copies in the Uni libraries and one at the state library for anyone interested. I can always read my old mans but would love to get my hands on one. Have sent an email to the Fremantle Arts Centre Press asking for some assistance on getting a copy, as they no longer print it.

Will pop a thread on the board and see what happens.

I've got a copy somewhere pre-signed by Matt. Only way you will get it off me though is out of my cold, dead lifeless hands.
Where can I meet you? :p

Where can I meet you? :p
Ha.

Just looked to check where it was because I haven't read it in years. Pages are all in good condition but the front cover pretty bent up, would have got thrown around a fair bit when I moved a lot when younger. Shame such a great book wasn't in hardcover actually.

I stood in the queue at Carousel all those years ago for a signed copy for my daughter. No way she's parting with it! I got lucky at the paraquad sale in Shenton Park a couple of years ago - found a copy for a song (or sixpence ;) )! Worth keeping an eye out at op shops and 2nd hand book stores. Never know your luck!

I stood in the queue at Carousel all those years ago for a signed copy for my daughter. No way she's parting with it! I got lucky at the paraquad sale in Shenton Park a couple of years ago - found a copy for a song (or sixpence ;) )! Worth keeping an eye out at op shops and 2nd hand book stores. Never know your luck!
Quality parenting!!

Nah would never expect a fellow supporter to hand over theirs, more putting it out there if anybody has got one recently or know of somewhere I haven't thought of to look. Popped a thread up on the main board for thoughts and suggestions on the matter.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/way-to-go-by-matt-price-seeking-a-copy.1106149/

My old man has copy so there's one in the family but pretty keen to get my hands on another copy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back