Discussion Round 18 Discussion - GRAND FINAL Week

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The time has come,
The walrus said, to talk of many things.
That no prick put a bloke on Neale,
Or Blake Acres' sexy swing.
1594257276356_GIS2R0F1H.1-2.jpeg

Yes campaigners, it is that time of year again as the SC world turns its attention to the SC grand final week.

A week where reputations are made and lost, where the butterfly theory comes to the fore and some random rookie from out back of Oodnadatta sparks up and belts out a 120 to lift the odd outsider to victory over his / her more fancied foe and some poor buggers open up a Krispy Kreme factory at the worst possible time as Ross the Boss drops a Merry Rixxmas present and rests the entire senior side, thus saving the sad panda from extinction.
tenor (5).gif

Rossy has always had a soft spot for animal welfare. Or at least less hatred for them than for the long-suffering SC nation.
20200913_220102.jpg

For those of you who copped a reaming from the SC gods in your prelims, genuine commiserations.

There is not much worse in SC terms than having one of your guns go 80-odd below the projection, especially if they're wearing the captain's armband for your mob.

On paper, not that much would have separated the predicted outcomes for Lachie Neale and big Maximus. In practice, they were on opposite sides of the Simpson Desert as Neale owners were savaged by the SC gods.
giphy (27).gif

For those still gunning for the crown, best of luck and may the odds be ever in your favour.
tenor (7).gif

For those looking to consolidate their rank or maybe even cop a sneaky final round boost, I hope your luck's running and your premos, your loops and any GF streamers you chance your arm on all fire.

For those with not a lot left to play for, and there'll be more than a few of us floating around, sit back, relax and just enjoy the footy unfold.

She's been a bloody awful year for a lot of people, and SC has been something of a microcosm of that, full of uncertainty and not without a fair old slice of stress.

All you can do is control the controllables, but by Christ there were more than a few uncontrollables bobbing up like icebergs in the Atlantic to * up the collective Titanic.
tenor (6).gif

I'm not going to do a write-up of the different trade-in / trade-out options, nor C/VC selections.

If you're through to a Granny, you've obviously been doing something right, so do your research, deploy your trades (if you still have trades left to deploy) and stock up on cinnamon lube just in case.

Look at every little advantage you might be able to glean by setting your loops - if this week taught us anything (other than that Devon is the most delectable of lunchmeats once more and that there is absolutely no way that Stevie the Rabbit could have contributed more to GWS than überpremo Connor Idun), it's that you just never know.

That Big Sexy Rivers, SP Schoenpiglet and Lachie <insert nickname here> Scholl would all piss PF excellence whilst established guns like Neale, Danger, Dochers and co. sadly all left behind a chocolate-coloured surprise for mummy in their nappies at the absolutely worst possible time wasn't something anyone would have predicted other than old Marty McFly with his copy of Gray's Sports Almanac, but many of us could and should have planned to profit from it if it did.

Not all of us will have.
98fc2029e506ac145b2d50f49df3350e.jpg

And for those consigned to the also-rans this year, if you can, have a little fun with your final trades. Trade in a bloke you just like to watch play, a bloke you think might go ham or, if you're into self-harm in a big way, DPP SP extraordinaire and all-universe F20/ R18 Johnny Ceglar.
200 (3).gif

Or just don't worry about the SC scores and try to enjoy the games as a spectacle without the righteous indignation that comes with seeing The Bont Supremacy cop +35 for picking his nose in the goal square while the ball is down the other end while your premo racks up +15 over a quarter and a half for 10 possies at 80% DE, three one percenters and four tackles.

The SC algorithms have had as rough a time as anyone this year and in any case, there's two thirds of five eighths of sweet *-all we can do about it, so it's good - if not always easy - to just grin and bear it.

And last but not least, they always say, 'Don't mention the war'.... And they probably say that for a reason. That said...
4uGXKGU.jpg

For what it's worth (and that's not a lot, I'm just a mediocre SuperCoach when it's all said and done), the way the Essendon Melbourne game postponement was handled was a massively controversial fork in the road.

For some with a lot of impacted players, it torpedoed their season in overall before things had even gotten going.

In some cases, it was further compounded by not being able to at least be able to access all possible reserve scores (so essentially going best 18 of 30).

In a shortened season, it also had an impact on league W-L, percentage and the like.

The solution was not ideal. There's no point pissing down anyone's leg and telling them it's raining.

I was also impacted, but not as badly, because I could at least get my ducks in a row on the Es.

Having opponents be able to drop Lachie Whitfield's score out of the 18 meant losses instead of wins in leagues etc., but that can't really hold a candle to copping a 1,400 and having points go begging on the bench. That's a syphilis-coated s**t sanga if ever there was one.

(To be totally honest, there was a fair element of going through the motions this year and, at least for me, enthusiasm levels for next year aren't massively high as it stands. Can't imagine I'm Robinson Crusoe there.)

But at the end of the day, this season was always going to be compromised and it's a wonder we've been able to get to the finish line at all. And compared to all the stuff going on out there in the world, if it's the worst thing that's happened to us that SC has been a touch off, we're probably travelling ok.

Whether it be Jiska, Andrew Birch, Pincrusher, Wayne's World on the mod and league organization front, Al Paton, Tim Mitchell, Pete Jank and co. having to make tough calls they knew wouldn't please everybody, all the sensational podcasters and content producers out there (Brice Mitchell on the projections, SC Elites / SCC / Jock Reynolds crew, just to name a few, but you could go an all day), there's a heap of good people of there who put out some great stuff and give of themselves just because they love their SC as much as any of us.

There are also far too many regulars on here to name them all who are always happy to give each other and newcomers top advice and help along the way.

And for that, they've all got my absolute respect.

Just remember, everything we do, we do for Smackdog. Love u, Smacka 😍

Have a good off-season, campaigners.

(You, too, Jakey Lloyd. I despise you and everything you stand for, but by Christ you're a topliner in the SC stakes. A Lllooooyydd ton is as inevitable as death, taxes, and Eddie McGuire getting his foot wedged in his mouth.)

200 (2).gif

Sep 7, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Mavs, Sturt
Good luck to all this week.

I've enjoyed reading your threads for advice.

Currently sitting around 1300th, with 4 boring, meaningless, non-cash finals this week.

Zero trades left, so just going to have to roll with Rivers as cover for Doch (and hope there's no other carnage)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dec 3, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Shoutout to the 4 horsemen, BJ Williams, Dev Robertson, Conroy & Cavarra. These 4 legends have been a huge part of my team since Rd1 generating a combined grand total of $56k in hard currency whilst providing f'all bench cover across 4 positional lines. They will be rocking my benches one last time this week, whether I need them or not they will be there, doing nothing. I shouldn't say nothing, as they've all worn the Captain's armband with distinction. Perhaps "Little Big Cox" BJ Williams & Dev Robertson might cross paths with my SC team again in a few years, but for now, I bid them all farewell.

Last edited:
How much money do you have , after getting Doc's replacement ?
Well I have 2 trades left and 200K now and in one G/F, thankfully my work one.

Thinking saving one for Doc to Laird, Stewart or Ryan if Rivers shits the bed, if Rivers goes OK I'll have a luxury trade.

My first trade will be Simpkin to Acres if think and $150k left.

Is Simpkin to Acres worthwhile?

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Well I have 2 trades left and 200K now and in one G/F, thankfully my work one.

Thinking saving one for Doc to Laird, Stewart or Ryan if Rivers shits the bed, if Rivers goes OK I'll have a luxury trade.

My first trade will be Simpkin to Acres if think and $150k left.

Is Simpkin to Acres worthwhile?
Acres has had 3 good consecutive tons .....no reason to suggest it won't continue

Playing North should help too .....no disrespect to North supporters

Acres has had 3 good consecutive tons .....no reason to suggest it won't continue

Playing North should help too .....no disrespect to North supporters
Acres playing Doggies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back