Game Day Round 18 - Fremantle vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 18, 2013
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Less than two hours to go and no game thread? Someone's lying down on the job... :p

LAST FIVE TIMES

R2, 2016, Gold Coast 19.12 (126) d Fremantle 14.16 (100) at Domain Stadium
R11, 2015, Fremantle 6.17 (53) d Gold Coast 7.4 (46) at Metricon Stadium
R2, 2014, Fremantle 12.15 (97) d Gold Coast 5.9 (39) at Domain Stadium
R6, 2013, Fremantle 15.9 (99) d Gold Coast 7.12 (54) at Metricon Stadium
R6, 2012, Fremantle 14.10 (94) d Gold Coast 14.3 (87) at Metricon Stadium

THE SIX POINTS
1. Gold Coast's round two victory was its first over Fremantle in club history. Aaron Hall had 32 disposals, while Tom Lynch starred with five goals and Jack Martin kicked four.

2. The Suns are ranked last in the competition for clearances, averaging 33.3 a game – not a good sign for a team decimated by injuries to its midfield. Fremantle is only slightly better, ranked 11th with 36.4 a game.

3. Only Essendon and Carlton have scored less than Fremantle's 75 points a game this season. Gold Coast averages 84 points a games to rank 11th.

4. Fremantle has a 5-1 head-to-head advantage in this match-up. In the three matches at Metricon Stadium, Fremantle won one decisively, but two others have been decided by just seven points.

5. One thing both teams do well is tackle. Fremantle is ranked fourth with 73 a game, while the Suns sneak into eighth place with 69.8 a game.

6. Suns midfielder Aaron Hall has cracked the top 100 of the Schick AFL Player Ratings for the first time in his career. Hall's 29 disposals against the Western Bulldogs moved him to exactly 100th place overall.

IT'S A BIG WEEK FOR … Jarrod Harbrow
With Matthew Pavlich resting back in Perth and Hayden Ballantyne sporting a fractured cheekbone, much of Freo's scoring may have to come from the dangerous Michael Walters. Harbrow would appear a good match-up for Walters with his speed and discipline, but youngster Jesse Joyce or Kade Kolodjashnij could also come into the frame.

Source: afl.com.au

Freo by 15 - Yarran to kick three.
Go get 'em Shane. Congrats on your debut..

I'm pretty excited for this. Think we can nab our fourth win.

Yarran to kick first goal of the game with his first kick

Tabs to kick 3

Walters BOG

Weller to look sexy

If our midfield can dominate I think we should limp over the line for this one. The main thing I am hoping for is a good showing from both Tabs and Yarran. If they can gel our future looks so much brighter.

Congratulations Shane on the debut....looking forward to your first goal with your first kick in the AFL :)
Exciting game for me....mainly because its a lunch time game and the missus is doing party pies and sausage rolls ;)!
In what is otherwise a crappy season, this is a game we can win.
I expect a big game from Walters today, 28 possessions and 2 goals.
Tabs to kick 3 also.
Us by 21 points. (Me to eat 9 party pies and 8 sausage rolls :))!

Congratulations Shane on the debut....looking forward to your first goal with your first kick in the AFL :)
Exciting game for me....mainly because its a lunch time game and the missus is doing party pies and sausage rolls ;)!
In what is otherwise a crappy season, this is a game we can win.
I expect a big game from Walters today, 28 possessions and 2 goals.
Tabs to kick 3 also.
Us by 21 points. (Me to eat 9 party pies and 8 sausage rolls :))!
Doc , pies and roll unhealthy ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A best on ground performance no doubt. ;)

( love home made sausage rolls... save us a couple will ya? :D )
No worries....Will post them down to you ;)!!
The missus makes great sausage rolls. Have carrot in them, ergo healthy :)
Back to the football....Collins on Lynch looks like a good match up. Its good to see that Collins keeps developing....Excellent long term defender. Lynch kicked 5 last time we played them, so Collins needs to stop him :)!
Looking back on that round 2 loss to them, we had a bucket load more possessions, more I50's and won the clearances, but our skills that day were shocking :( We also got smacked in the second quarter.
I think our skills have improved since then....Just.

No worries....Will post them down to you ;)!!
The missus makes great sausage rolls. Have carrot in them, ergo healthy :)
Back to the football....Collins on Lynch looks like a good match up. Its good to see that Collins keeps developing....Excellent long term defender. Lynch kicked 5 last time we played them, so Collins needs to stop him :)!
Looking back on that round 2 loss to them, we had a bucket load more possessions, more I50's and won the clearances, but our skills that day were shocking :( We also got smacked in the second quarter.
I think our skills have improved since then....Just.

Thanks Doc - look forward to getting them i the mail.

Waiting for the game to start and wathcing an interview with luc longley who's now assistant coach fir the boomers.

Always good to see a freo identitiy do well for himself. Fascinating interview ...

Good luck to Shane Yarran, our 189th player.

To say the odds are stacked heavily against him is a massive understatement.

Yarran debuts today at the age of 27 years, 51 days.

VFL /AFL history is very unkind to players who debut this late in life.

Only 441 players (3.5%) have debuted at age 27+.

63.7% played 10 games or less.

8.4% played 50+ games. Roughly 33% of all debutants play 50+ games.

(For 27 year olds only: 65.6% played 10 games or less, 9.1% played 50+ games).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Over the last 50 years (since rd 1, 1966): 4706 players have debuted, only 37 were 27+ years old (0.8%). If you used a 24 hour clock to chart the age of debutants, the 27 year olds would appear at 11.49pm.

Seven of them played 50+ games (18.9%). Not bad, but then those 7 were no ordinary players.

Jim Sewell (76 games)

141 games with East Fremantle. CHF in their 1979 premiership team, three times club leading goalscorer (99 in 1977), eight state games.

Michael Taylor (92 games)

289 SANFL games, 6 times B&F winner, SA Hall of Fame.

Brian Peake (66 games)

315 WAFL games, 6 times B&F winner, 1977 Sandover Medal, 3 times All Australian (captain twice), WAFL Hall of Fame, AFL Hall of Fame.

Leon Baker (86 games)

64 WAFL games (debuted at 24), dual WA State of Origin, All Australian.

Chris McDermott (117 games)

286 SANFL games, 3 times B&F winner, 3 times All Australian (captain in’92), SA Hall of Fame.

Scott Lee* (86 games)

243 SANFL games, 2 times B&F, 5 SA state games.

James Podsiadly* (83 games)

VFL leading goalkicker, Liston Medal winner, 4 times VFL rep.

*Both Lee and Pods had an early taste of the AFL system.

Lee played in a Hawthorn night premiership before moving to SA.

Pods was a 2000 Rookie Draft pick (age 18) and played 19 reserves games with Essendon and was also rookie listed by Collingwood, playing three pre-season games in 2002.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Over the last 20 years (since rd 1, 1996): 1814 players have debuted, only 8 were 27+ years old (0.4%). That’s 11.53pm on our clock.

Only Pods played 50+ games. (As much as we poked fun at Pods, what he achieved (debuting so late) was actually elite).

Next best was Troy Wilson (West Coast’s oldest debutant) with 37 games.

Our oldest debutant is Brad Bootsma (27 years, 123 days). He played 23 games.

The numbers are not promising, but he’s wearing purple (ok white) so…GO YOU GOOD THING!!!!:thumbsu:

Last edited:
Good luck to Shane Yarran, our 189th player.

To say the odds are stacked heavily against him is a massive understatement.

Yarran debuts today at the age of 27 years, 51 days.

VFL /AFL history is very unkind to players who debut this late in life.

Only 441 players (3.5%) have debuted at age 27+.

63.7% played 10 games or less.

8.4% played 50+ games. Roughly 33% of all debutants play 50+ games.

(For 27 year olds only: 65.6% played 10 games or less, 9.1% played 50+ games).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Over the last 50 years (since rd 1, 1966): 4706 players have debuted, only 37 were 27+ years old (0.8%). If you used a 24 hour clock to chart the age of debutants, the 27 year olds would appear at 11.49pm.

Seven of them played 50+ games (18.9%). Not bad, but then those 7 were no ordinary players.

Jim Sewell (76 games)

141 games with East Fremantle. CHF in their 1979 premiership team, three times club leading goalscorer (99 in 1977), eight state games.

Michael Taylor (92 games)

289 SANFL games, 6 times B&F winner, SA Hall of Fame.

Brian Peake (66 games)

315 games, 6 times B&F winner, 1977 Sandover Medal, 3 times All Australian (captain twice), WAFL Hall of Fame, AFL Hall of Fame.

Leon Baker (86 games)

64 WAFL games (debuted at 24), dual WA State of Origin, All Australian.

Chris McDermott (117 games)

286 SANFL games, 3 times B&F winner, 3 times All Australian (captain in’92), SA Hall of Fame.

Scott Lee* (86 games)

243 SANFL games, 2 times B&F, 5 SA state games.

James Podsiadly* (83 games)

VFL leading goalkicker, Liston Medal winner, 4 times VFL rep.

*Both Lee and Pods had an early taste of the AFL system.

Lee played in a Hawthorn night premiership before moving to SA.

Pods was a 2000 Rookie Draft pick (age 18) and played 19 reserves games with Essendon and was also rookie listed by Collingwood, playing three pre-season games in 2002.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Over the last 20 years (since rd 1, 1996): 1814 players have debuted, only 8 were 27+ years old (0.4%). That’s 11.53pm on our clock.

Only Pods played 50+ games. (As much as we poked fun at Pods, what he achieved (debuting so late) was actually elite).

Next best was Troy Wilson (West Coast’s oldest debutant) with 37 games.

Our oldest debutant is Brad Bootsma (27 years, 123 days). He played 23 games.

The numbers are not promising, but he’s wearing purple (ok white) so…GO YOU GOOD THING!!!!:thumbsu:
Good job. Great post.

Shane looking fit and calm out there. Not expecting miracles, but if he's competitive and kicks a couple I'll be stoked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back