Review Round 18: Freo Defeats GWS by 21 pts

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://titusoreily.com/the-monday-knee-jerk-reaction-afl-round-eighteen/

..."Has there ever been a team on top of the ladder that people have less faith in?"

...ouch!

How dare Titus make insightful pertinent comments abut my team, that are also funny??

I'm deeply offended - I'd boo in mock protest but I understand that's not the done thing anymore (and rightfully so, as this whole horrible Goodes affair clearly demonstrates).

Dammit Titus, stop being right and funny will you? - it's making my baseless indignation very hard to maintain!

Before I say this, let me preface it by saying no, I don't hate Ross, or the administration and I don't think the sky is falling. Oh, and yes, I know we are 15 and 2 and I'm LOVING that.

However... is it just me or does Luke MacPharlin almost always look backwards for his first option these days? This may be under instruction as we are undermanned in defense, but I remember the days when he would get the ball and make a dash down the corridor, similar to Michael Johnson.

Not saying the switch is not sometimes a good option, but we seem to swing the ball backward to little advantage quite often, even when there are available options forward of the play.

Also because he needs another rest and doesn't want to put pressure on his legs.

So far Luke has had 2 games off, which means he is on track for a 21 game season. At his age the club needs to give him more rest, but instead they're running players to the ground. Against lower oppositions resting should have occurred!

Also because he needs another rest and doesn't want to put pressure on his legs.

So far Luke has had 2 games off, which means he is on track for a 21 game season. At his age the club needs to give him more rest, but instead they're running players to the ground. Against lower oppositions resting should have occurred!

Unfortunately Dawson may have stopped that beng a possibility this weekend by mostly likely getting rubbed out. Would have been good to rest Luke from the hard surface we are about to play on.

Really the Johnson, Silvagni and Dawson injuries have prevented us from doing this though. And now probably the Dawson suspension.

You could very well see him rested for Melbourne or Port, which would be 3 weeks rested throughout the year. Pretty reasonable without a specific injury occurring.

We were nicely physical in the game. I saw Mz giving it to Scully for a bit. Pav ragdolled players, and then there's the job on Cameron. What caused the second scuffle?

Spurr gave Greene an atomic wedgie.

Ok, I admit that I've been on the "dump MdB" bandwagon for weeks now - have been frustrated as all hell at his few disposals that are often turned over, are clangers, or barely make 35m + the FAs he inevitably gives... BUT I thought he was good this week. Not good enough to give votes to, but with no Fyfe, I thought MdB's 25 disposals (13 contested, 5 clearances, only 5 clangers!) - including 20 handballs, mostly from in the middle or on the bottom of large packs, were MdB doing his best to do an impression of Fyfe to win the hard ball and get it out to team-mates on the outside. He also laid 7 tackles. I also though he played on a lot quicker than he usually does - there was a lot less of the 'deer in the headlights', 'slow decision making, hold the play up so the opposition can get everyone back' thing, which busts my blood vessels each time he plays.

Can't see RTB eben contemplating dropping him - this has put a few runs on the board for him and he'll have to play some seriously shitty games between now and the end of the H&A not to be suiting up in the finals.

Ok, I admit that I've been on the "dump MdB" bandwagon for weeks now - have been frustrated as all hell at his few disposals that are often turned over, are clangers, or barely make 35m + the FAs he inevitably gives... BUT I thought he was good this week. Not good enough to give votes to, but with no Fyfe, I thought MdB's 25 disposals (13 contested, 5 clearances, only 5 clangers!) - including 20 handballs, mostly from in the middle or on the bottom of large packs, were MdB doing his best to do an impression of Fyfe to win the hard ball and get it out to team-mates on the outside. He also laid 7 tackles. I also though he played on a lot quicker than he usually does - there was a lot less of the 'deer in the headlights', 'slow decision making, hold the play up so the opposition can get everyone back' thing, which busts my blood vessels each time he plays.

Can't see RTB eben contemplating dropping him - this has put a few runs on the board for him and he'll have to play some seriously shitty games between now and the end of the H&A not to be suiting up in the finals.

Agree, after this week it's obvious he plays a good role if he starts but as a sub he's ineffective. There's no way RTB will drop him to sub let alone from the team.

Resting is pretty much a luxury, we probably start thinking about when we won the derby. And not sure who needs it. McPharlin had an injury history but don't know how much that was due to too much gametime or just bad luck. Really find it hard to judge that as an outsider.

Resting is pretty much a luxury, we probably start thinking about when we won the derby. And not sure who needs it. McPharlin had an injury history but don't know how much that was due to too much gametime or just bad luck. Really find it hard to judge that as an outsider.

McPharlin has one of those sensitive bodies which are prone to tweaking muscles. Hamstrings, calves, groins ... it's always soft tissue injuries with Luke. So it might be a bit of bad luck, but you also have to manage his load so his muscles have the best chance to recover and not be under stress/strain. I feel like we are really running a very high risk of seeing him break down soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McPharlin has one of those sensitive bodies which are prone to tweaking muscles. Hamstrings, calves, groins ... it's always soft tissue injuries with Luke. So it might be a bit of bad luck, but you also have to manage his load so his muscles have the best chance to recover and not be under stress/strain. I feel like we are really running a very high risk of seeing him break down soon.

Agree. It always seems to be in the latter part of the season when he goes down also, so fatigue and load levels impact on his ability to stay healthy.

I reckon they should bite the bullet and play T.Smith and rest Macca against the Saints. Just have to put the onus on our midfielders to own the centre of the ground.

I reckon they should bite the bullet and play T.Smith and rest Macca against the Saints. Just have to put the onus on our midfielders to own the centre of the ground.

So Smith and Pearce as our two KD's? Mmm....I reckon it'd lead to another loss to the Saints. Reiwoldt would kick 10.

http://titusoreily.com/the-monday-knee-jerk-reaction-afl-round-eighteen/

..."Has there ever been a team on top of the ladder that people have less faith in?"

...ouch!

How dare Titus make insightful pertinent comments abut my team, that are also funny??

I'm deeply offended - I'd boo in mock protest but I understand that's not the done thing anymore (and rightfully so, as this whole horrible Goodes affair clearly demonstrates).

Dammit Titus, stop being right and funny will you? - it's making my baseless indignation very hard to maintain!

He's right though, even people on this board have doubts.

I do think we have what it takes to win the flag this year as most of the hard work is done and they have put themselves in a position to manage players towards the back half of the season. However, I think we are only simmering at this stage and on current form, if Grand Final was this weekend I would be far from confident.

We won't win a flag if Macca goes down.
Rest him when we have actually some cover for him, it's pretty simple.. (which Dawson of course ***ed up). If we win all these sort of games and lock in top 2 at the very least he can have the game against Melbourne or the last round off against Port.

This week is must win and St Kilda are not easy beats.

Rest him when we have actually some cover for him, it's pretty simple.. (which Dawson of course ***ed up). If we win all these sort of games and lock in top 2 at the very least he can have the game against Melbourne or the last round off against Port.

This week is must win and St Kilda are not easy beats.
I agree with everything you say and we don't have cover except for Tanner Smith. I suppose we just have to hope that Macca doesn't go down in the next 2 weeks.
Not even sure Riewoldt is playing. If he doesn't I'd pull Macca but he'd of already flown so probably no good.

He's right though, even people on this board have doubts.

I do think we have what it takes to win the flag this year as most of the hard work is done and they have put themselves in a position to manage players towards the back half of the season. However, I think we are only simmering at this stage and on current form, if Grand Final was this weekend I would be far from confident.

Think we are all waiting for the "a-ha" moment when Ross shows his coaching genius and confirms that Freo really has been running a marathon.

Think we are all waiting for the "a-ha" moment when Ross shows his coaching genius and confirms that Freo really has been running a marathon.

True, they were 4-5 kicks off having that on Sunday. So getting real close.

Yeah I've got the same feeling however the 'a-ha' moment won't happen until MJ is back in the side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back