Autopsy Round 18: Hawks skin the Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Chris Scott sooking about the umpiring is hilarious. At least 3x 50m penalties not paid to Hawthorn in the first quarter alone from Geelong players overstepping the mark (and not by trivial amounts) and not handing the ball back directly to a free kick winner, neither quickly or on the full. Also in the second quarter the Geelong player "rushing a behind" over the boundary line and the umpire just calls a throw in. They got a great run.
I had a daughter attending cricket trials so I missed the game. This doesn’t surprise me. Every time we play them the umpires let the Cats get away with blatant s**t. Chris Scott can get ****ed.

Really enjoyed watching the Cats players whinge to the umpires every time they gave away a free kick to a Hawk. "What me, sir? Never! I would never infringe on a fellow player!"

Was a great game to be at.
I thought that a lot of Geelongs goals in the first half, all came from low/no pressure turnovers.

Timmy Almost is now Timmy Mostly! Timing his runs and leaps and holding the ball.
Mitchy Lewis when allowed to have a run at the ball really clunks them nicely. Not sure why he looks to give the goal away at the edge of the goal square after a mark though?
Shiels was everywhere, great game from him
Frawley was damm good in the backline.
Nash was pretty good up fwd in either taking his man from the play or creating space by doing the same.
Howe played like his career was on the line. Might be close to his best effort?

McEvoy was immense, especially in the last. Could see he was dirty with himself after conceding goals from ball ups where he was out-bodied.
Sicily was great (And, as usual, shafted by umpires)

Umpiring was.... Interesting early, looked like 3-4 throws from geelong players that weren't picked up (And one by the Hawks) but that could have been the angle from where i was sitting. (Right next to Benny Black and his band!)

One of the more pleasing aspects, was players backing themselves for the mark and players running for space. The Chad could have had a couple of goals and his closing speed when in the midfield was far greater than i thought. Having a couple of big forwards who can take a mark or create a contest has done wonders for our midfields confidence in putting it up there too.

Chris Scott sooking about the umpiring is hilarious. At least 3x 50m penalties not paid to Hawthorn in the first quarter alone from Geelong players overstepping the mark (and not by trivial amounts) and not handing the ball back directly to a free kick winner, neither quickly or on the full. Also in the second quarter the Geelong player "rushing a behind" over the boundary line and the umpire just calls a throw in. They got a great run.
What winning the frees 22-14 wasn't enough for the sooky lala?
Absolute gold when he loses he's s**t in the coaches box!

Wingard has played for frees so much in the past he's not given many frees for actual head knocks. He has to react to the knock (as he does) to let the umps know but carry on flat out anyway. Couple of times this week he took a knock in a tackle and lay there waiting for a free, only to get htb against him. Can't afford the dead fish play.

Wingard has played for frees so much in the past he's not given many frees for actual head knocks. He has to react to the knock (as he does) to let the umps know but carry on flat out anyway. Couple of times this week he took a knock in a tackle and lay there waiting for a free, only to get htb against him. Can't afford the dead fish play.

The ball was held in. This whole thing that you have to writhe around like you're being electrocuted in order to look like you've made a "genuine attempt" is ludicrous.

The ball was held in. This whole thing that you have to writhe around like you're being electrocuted in order to look like you've made a "genuine attempt" is ludicrous.
I like the intent of the "genuine attempt" rule. In practice though the umpires aren't looking for a genuine attempt, they are looking for any visible attempt no matter how non-genuine.

Players who are completely wrapped up just need to show they're trying to get their arms free. This is the one where I'm happy for them to give some leeway to the player as it's quite clear the ball won't be coming out regardless.

It's the ones where the player could actually get it out if a ball up wasn't in their interest. We all know the type. The one where the ball seems to be inexplicably stuck to the player despite nothing really holding it there and the player "attempts" to get the handball of by pretending they're giving chest compressions to a very fragile, elderly mouse.

Jonathan Brown is a huge fan of Mitchell Lewis. Really pumped up his tyres in the commentary on Fox.
Might see a bit of himself in the way he plays. Strong mark in packs and on the lead, classic goal kicking routine that reliably delivers goals, and will get high up the ground to have an impact. Lewis just needs to put on some mass and have about 30 concussions and they'll just about be the same player.

It's amazing what getting to that 50 games mark has done for TOB. He's now at 58 and has really deserved his spot in the team. Great what confidence can do for you.

With the exception of some clearly gifted players and some players who clearly aren't up to it, the old truism of it takes 50 games to work out whether a player is capable or not generally holds true.

Internally, the club has been adamant for some time that O'Brien has the requisite talent to be a good player for Hawthorn. It's all been mental up until now. Hopefully the penny has dropped with O'Brien and he can go ahead and do justice to #23.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the exception of some clearly gifted players and some players who clearly aren't up to it, the old truism of it takes 50 games to work out whether a player is capable or not generally holds true.

Internally, the club has been adamant for some time that O'Brien has the requisite talent to be a good player for Hawthorn. It's all been mental up until now. Hopefully the penny has dropped with O'Brien and he can go ahead and do justice to #23.

Can’t wait til Nash hits 50.

It really makes me wonder if Schoenmakers had been luckier with a bunch of things (eg. Our KPD options, Croad's career ending injury, his ACL, his achilles, his other niggling injuries) if he'd have also become a really good player with the opportunity to do a proper development program at Box Hill and then train and play for the role at AFL level that suited him rather than the one circumstances dictated he needed to fill.

We saw a few times with Schoenmakers the kind of performances that made you sit up straight in your seat and think "hey I think we've got a player here", but each time something quickly came up (usually injuries) that knocked him off course. Sad for Schoenmakers (but at least he got a flag) but good to see O'Brien has been able to overcome his own road blocks and now looks set to be an important part of the best 22.

I like the intent of the "genuine attempt" rule. In practice though the umpires aren't looking for a genuine attempt, they are looking for any visible attempt no matter how non-genuine.

Players who are completely wrapped up just need to show they're trying to get their arms free. This is the one where I'm happy for them to give some leeway to the player as it's quite clear the ball won't be coming out regardless.

It's the ones where the player could actually get it out if a ball up wasn't in their interest. We all know the type. The one where the ball seems to be inexplicably stuck to the player despite nothing really holding it there and the player "attempts" to get the handball of by pretending they're giving chest compressions to a very fragile, elderly mouse.

Mr Jingles perhaps?

It really makes me wonder if Schoenmakers had been luckier with a bunch of things (eg. Our KPD options, Croad's career ending injury, his ACL, his achilles, his other niggling injuries) if he'd have also become a really good player with the opportunity to do a proper development program at Box Hill and then train and play for the role at AFL level that suited him rather than the one circumstances dictated he needed to fill.

We saw a few times with Schoenmakers the kind of performances that made you sit up straight in your seat and think "hey I think we've got a player here", but each time something quickly came up (usually injuries) that knocked him off course. Sad for Schoenmakers (but at least he got a flag) but good to see O'Brien has been able to overcome his own road blocks and now looks set to be an important part of the best 22.

Schoenmakers started the 2013 season really well in defence, then tore his ACL in round 4 against the Dockers in Tasmania. Was never able to recapture the hot form he had in the start of that season. He played reasonably well in 2015, but more as a third banana up forward rather than playing in defence like he was doing in 2013.

Schoenmakers started the 2013 season really well in defence, then tore his ACL in round 4 against the Dockers in Tasmania. Was never able to recapture the hot form he had in the start of that season. He played reasonably well in 2015, but more as a third banana up forward rather than playing in defence like he was doing in 2013.
Definitely, but going right back to the start I reckon if Croad didn't have to retire due to his injury then Schoey wouldn't have had to come in early as a skinny kid and play on KPFs. He could've developed at BHH as a forward and then eventually come in and play the role Gunston ended up getting recruited for. We'll never know. I'm glad that he'll get to leave the game with a premiership medallion.

In the first instance where he got pinged he didn’t make any attempt whatsoever and it did look like he was just waiting for the whistle for a ball up.

In the last quarter he took possession and with no one around automatically lowered the head looking for contact - I actually yelled at the telly and told him to stop looking for frees. Pop used to do the same and it’s why he doesn’t get the frees he should and it’s what chad now needs to work on

Scott telling porkies on afl360. Reckons he asked the umps at 3/4 time if he “could ask them a question”. Fox lip readers had him saying “how are you going to make up for that 50”. Furious back peddle then basically blaming the loss on not taking their chances in front of goal.
Did the AFL come out and say that was wrong yet? Would expect so, but the way they were kicking, he would've hit the post from the goal line anyway.

Yes time wasting and overstepping the mark was common and not policed.
One of the worst was an out of bounds on the full. The boundary umpire kept pointing to the mark but Dangerfield ignored it and was at least 3 meters over that point but was not told to get back or penalised.

The entitlement runs deep at the Cats. Makes watching them lose so much more enjoyable.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can't stand their attitude to umpiring decisions. Mimics their coaches attitude in the box.
One blatant one was #29 objecting to being called for throwing the ball when the replays showed it was an obvious throw.
By the way they threw the ball often and mostly got away with it.

Yes time wasting and overstepping the mark was common and not policed.
One of the worst was an out of bounds on the full. The boundary umpire kept pointing to the mark but Dangerfield ignored it and was at least 3 meters over that point but was not told to get back or penalised.
I just don't like how Chris Scott gets a platform every week to push his agenda from the weekend. Gets to highlight umpiring and MRP issues and put a Geelong spin on it. And it has helped Geelong get more favourable tribunal rulings and umpiring afterwards.

The Burgoyne one he complained about on AFL360 I don't even think that was a mark to begin with. I watched the replay of it a few times and I can't hear a mark ever being paid. It didn't even look 15m based on the grass markings. Yet he gets to frame it as match turning mistake and that "Umpire Burgoyne" decided to call play on.

I just don't like how Chris Scott gets a platform every week to push his agenda from the weekend. Gets to highlight umpiring and MRP issues and put a Geelong spin on it. And it has helped Geelong get more favourable tribunal rulings and umpiring afterwards.

The Burgoyne one he complained about on AFL360 I don't even think that was a mark to begin with. I watched the replay of it a few times and I can't hear a mark ever being paid. It didn't even look 15m based on the grass markings. Yet he gets to frame it as match turning mistake and that "Umpire Burgoyne" decided to call play on.

Yeah that was idiotic... he's sitting there complaining about how Burgoyne ran over the mark and it should have been a 50m penalty.... The kick went about 8 metres mate ffs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back