toomanysquibs

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2006
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
I just don't like how Chris Scott gets a platform every week to push his agenda from the weekend. Gets to highlight umpiring and MRP issues and put a Geelong spin on it. And it has helped Geelong get more favourable tribunal rulings and umpiring afterwards.

The Burgoyne one he complained about on AFL360 I don't even think that was a mark to begin with. I watched the replay of it a few times and I can't hear a mark ever being paid. It didn't even look 15m based on the grass markings. Yet he gets to frame it as match turning mistake and that "Umpire Burgoyne" decided to call play on.

I watched this via the AFL streaming site, and couldn't even understand what the hell Scott was on about. He's not a high level thinker. I don't think he's dumb, but you want to make sure that you understand what you're looking at before you make a complaint for the whole world to see.

Agree too. Why the hell does he have this platform? Is it because other coaches see the folly in doing it, and he's the only one who needs to self promote like this?

Mappa

Club Legend
Feb 27, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
West Bromwich Albion
Sorry if it's been covered in this thread, but did anyone pick up post-game how Mooney effectively gave the Cats an excuse by throwing out the old "solid training block" routine and that they look "flat" as a result. Turn it up. Him and Ling cannot bring themselves to say another team was better than their beloved Cats.

Feb 10, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
DCowboys, ManU, Celtics, Blackhawks
So pleased for Pup Shiels to have a great game in his 200th. This bloke is such a workhorse for our footy club. Underrated by some, but not in my books.

Congrats Pup, well deserved, and well done to the boys for getting a win to celebrate. Looking forward to the next 50-100 games!

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Sorry if it's been covered in this thread, but did anyone pick up post-game how Mooney effectively gave the Cats an excuse by throwing out the old "solid training block" routine and that they look "flat" as a result. Turn it up. Him and Ling cannot bring themselves to say another team was better than their beloved Cats.

Analysis has shown only their inside 50 efficiency is down, the rest is the same. So might have been smarter to let the forwards anstain from the 'solid training" eh Moons?

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Worpel now seems a given,
Scully and wingard blending in nicely,
Lewis and Hanrahan having the tightest grip on their spots
O’Brien and Howe destroying thir ‘fringe’ tag

In fact hats off to all of them, but especially Bigboy and Frawley, the only big bodied players on the team, both working hard and allowing more run in the team.
How long can these guys last, and who comes in once they are gone? They could well be our irreplaceables (last year I would have said Titchell)

Dragz

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2006
Launceston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I watched this via the AFL streaming site, and couldn't even understand what the hell Scott was on about. He's not a high level thinker. I don't think he's dumb, but you want to make sure that you understand what you're looking at before you make a complaint for the whole world to see.

Agree too. Why the hell does he have this platform? Is it because other coaches see the folly in doing it, and he's the only one who needs to self promote like this?

So he's kicked it about 2 - 2.5 meters before the grass marking.
Atkins marks it pretty much right on the next one.

14.1 DEFINITION A Mark is taken if, in the opinion of the field Umpire, a Player catches or takes control of the football: (a) within the Playing Surface; (b) after it has been Kicked by another Player a distance of at least 15 meters;

So, what's the distance between the Markings? Goal square is 9 meters long and line markings are right on that. Looks to me like the umpire got it right according to the rule

OK I very very rarely do this, but in this case I couldn't help myself. I visited the cats game day thread and the very first post. The OP, the opening stanza contained the following words about Hawthorn: They may win a battle here and there but never the war.

... BUT NEVER THE WAR ...

We do occasionally win the odd war or two just saying. In fact we rarely lose a war against those campaigners but do concede the odd battle here and there.

Viddiot

All Australian
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
BTW...related to the above images and the rule being 15....
Can anyone explain to me why the commentary team (all day) kept mentioning 'The required 14 meters'.
Was that just sarcasm delivered so flat it wasn't funny? Put a bit of oomph into it if you're going to have a dig guys with the mike.

*edit...LOL...please tell me somebody heard that and I'm not just losing my mind??

Last edited:
Can anyone explain to me why the commentary team (all day) kept mentioning 'The required 14 meters'.
Was that just sarcasm delivered so flat it wasn't funny? Put a bit of oomph into it if you're going to have a dig guys with the mike.

*edit...LOL...please tell me somebody heard that and I'm not just losing my mind??
Idk why they did but yes they did

OK I very very rarely do this, but in this case I couldn't help myself. I visited the cats game day thread and the very first post. The OP, the opening stanza contained the following words about Hawthorn: They may win a battle here and there but never the war.

We do occasionally win the odd war or two just saying. In fact we rarely lose a war against those campaigners but do concede the odd battle here and there.
The Art Of War
If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles.

They fear us and have for a very, very long time.

Yeh, said it throughout the day about Geelol kicks.

Sarcasm.

View attachment 714709
View attachment 714716
14.1 DEFINITION A Mark is taken if, in the opinion of the field Umpire, a Player catches or takes control of the football: (a) within the Playing Surface; (b) after it has been Kicked by another Player a distance of at least 15 meters;

So, what's the distance between the Markings? Goal square is 9 meters long and line markings are right on that. Looks to me like the umpire got it right according to the rule

On a separate but related note, it bugged the heck out of me when Dwayne Russell kept referring to the ball travelling 14 metres for a mark. He was clearly trying to be clever but it just revealed (yet again) his shortcomings as a commentator.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 22, 2008
Noosa
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Wingard has played for frees so much in the past he's not given many frees for actual head knocks. He has to react to the knock (as he does) to let the umps know but carry on flat out anyway. Couple of times this week he took a knock in a tackle and lay there waiting for a free, only to get htb against him. Can't afford the dead fish play.
There was one where he played dead fish, 15m out from our goal and to the naked eye it looked just like that but from a side on replay, the tackler kneed him in the head which should/could have resulted in a free.
We see it very often with the player chasing the ball but the ump was blindsided so missed it and Chad was probably 1. Expecting the free kick and 2. Feeling like he got a knee to the head.

1963 they did

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
View attachment 714709
View attachment 714716

Scott applying the ‘cats expect help from the umpires’ rule. Remember ‘you realise youve cost us the game?’

toomanysquibs

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2006
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
correct and we won 1989 2008 and 2013 prelim....I also seem to recall beating them in the last round out the farmlands in early 90s that knocked them out of finals as well ....I think "the wars" are well on our side of the ledger

It all went South for them after they buried that Hawk in a mock funeral at KP after the 1963 flag. I had a reliable source tell me that they went so far as to get a priest in to lift the 'curse', that they believe had landed on the club as a result.

I think that was after 1989, but not sure exactly when.

So we literally got in their heads deep enough, that they called in a priest to banish their Hawthorn demons.

It didn't work for them either.

Apr 10, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Saints
It all went South for them after they buried that Hawk in a mock funeral at KP after the 1963 flag. I had a reliable source tell me that they went so far as to get a priest in to lift the 'curse', that they believe had landed on the club as a result.

I think that was after 1989, but not sure exactly when.

So we literally got in their heads deep enough, that they called in a priest to banish their Hawthorn demons.

It didn't work for them either.
Geelong = a whole new level of headf****d

Remove this Banner Ad

Back