Autopsy Round 18: Liked, Hated, Learnt

Remove this Banner Ad

What colour shorts other than white could Geelong wear against the Crows?
They now wear white shorts in all matches, it's bullshit, they didn't even wear blue shorts when they played the Crows at home six weeks ago. The AFL have diluted just about everything from this game, where is the clash with Geelong and Adelaide? Why did Hawthorn wear that crap white away strip against Freo? It's all bollocks!

They now wear white shorts in all matches, it's bullshit, they didn't even wear blue shorts when they played the Crows at home six weeks ago. The AFL have diluted just about everything from this game, where is the clash with Geelong and Adelaide? Why did Hawthorn wear that crap white away strip against Freo? It's all bollocks!
Do people actually care about what colour shorts players are wearing? Would have thought there were much bigger things to be worried about lol.

Liked: Brisbane are actually not bad for a team coming 18th
Learned: GWS not the 'super-team' I expected them to be this year. Should be absolutely dominating. Not sure what else the AFL could have done.
Hated: Walters season finished.

Liked:
- Crows winning against our bogeys. Dammit that felt good, but it will mean four-fifths of **** all if we don't replicate that work rate and physicality in finals.
- Port losing to a top 8 side with the predictability of a Swiss watch. Thanks for the easy tip :thumbsu:

Hated:
- Not much. Dangerfield's flopping was soft yet hilarious in context

Learnt:
- GWS with really big question marks about their hunger now, but I do think they'll come good in September. How good? We'll wait and see.

Not New Information:
- Sydney have come good
- Collingwood still clocking up wins here and there as they have for the last four years - juuust enough to prevent Bucks' immediate sacking but still circling the drain

In particular our midfield is in much better condition I would say compared to say our final against Sydney. For instance:
- Scott Thompson was cooked last year, externally people may not have realised but most Crows supporters knew he was a liability.
- Brad Crouch was still very underdone and frequently missing against better sides due to missing so much football early in his career. This year he started a bit that way but the longer the season has gone he's really been building and noticeably much better.
- Matt Crouch he's the #2 ball magnet in the comp this year. He was decent last year but is stronger, can kick the ball much better this year, effectively now not just a 21 year old kid with under 50 games.
- Sloane is still Sloane but thanks to his being tagged the Crouch boys especially have had to be more important which balances us much more.
- Greenwood very raw still but just brings much more intensity and capability at todays speeds than what Thompson could do late last year.

While it's still a very inexperienced midfield it's just another year better. Still our weakest area but improved a lot on last year.

As for other game styles? Early season we were still all out attack but over the last few weeks we seem to have found a better balance between all out attack and defense by tightening up defensively which has been nice and leaves us less susceptible to leaking masses of goals. It's a bit early to celebrate that however as it's still a work in progress and will need to be proven week in week out for the rest of the year to become the normal and not just a form fluctuation upwards.

Otherwise mostly you just need to remember much of the squad has now played together a while and the younger guys experience level is rising week to week so there is that natural improvement that comes with it.

That's the main summary for me.

Other point I'd mostly include is that Pyke is starting to become a bit more flexible and reactive rather than backing in same old which you would hope as he gains experience as a 2nd year coach.
Very good! Thanks so much. Big Footy at its best - informative, respectful.

Very much looking forward to this encounter then.

Do people actually care about what colour shorts players are wearing? Would have thought there were much bigger things to be worried about lol.
Im well into my 2nd half century and my mother still asks if i have clean undies and hanky. So yeah, there is def interest in this topic.

Hallelujah! I said this on another thread last year, and [excuse me] paraphrase it here: to me, my team's colors mean a lot, and I am emotionally attached to them. The good old black and white. I want to see my team's traditional colors on the field of play - not white/pastel/pink/some amateur-hour SJW- pastiche.

Do y'all see magpies flying around in pink/white/AFL theme du jour? Answer - hell, no. Did you see the flags on the lances of the Knights of the Realm in battle changed becuz of a "color clash"? Nay.

Puhleeze. There are no friggen "clash" colors in the AFL.

Scientific Memo to AFL - unlike many animals, humans have trichromatic vision with three types of color-sensing cone cells. We get it, color-wise. And also, we have color TV now. Not black and white TV recording play in a suburban mud heap.

#but follow the money, AFL.

Liked:
- Crows winning against our bogeys. Dammit that felt good, but it will mean four-fifths of **** all if we don't replicate that work rate and physicality in finals.
- Port losing to a top 8 side with the predictability of a Swiss watch. Thanks for the easy tip :thumbsu:

Hated:
- Not much. Dangerfield's flopping was soft yet hilarious in context

Learnt:
- GWS with really big question marks about their hunger now, but I do think they'll come good in September. How good? We'll wait and see.

Not New Information:
- Sydney have come good
- Collingwood still clocking up wins here and there as they have for the last four years - juuust enough to prevent Bucks' immediate sacking but still circling the drain
Liked that snoozers like you go for the crows learnt that snoozers like you can actually become bigger snoozers and hated that you are actually south Australian but thx for an easy reply to a flog post congratulations

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just be thankful you even get to play the Crows at home, we haven't played them at home since 2014 and we haven't played Port at home since 2013.

Guess where we are playing Port this week? That's right Adelaide Oval again for the 4th year in a row.

Just another example of the AFL's fixturing being a joke.

Just be thankful you even get to play the Crows at home, we haven't played them at home since 2014 and we haven't played Port at home since 2013.

Guess where we are playing Port this week? That's right Adelaide Oval again for the 4th year in a row.

Yeah that's ridiculous and hugely unfair. It's the same in that Carlton hasn't come to play us in Adelaide since 2010!! It's about time they send them to us at Adelaide Oval and then we can come play the Saints at Etihad, hell it really should alternate year to year much as possible. Until weeks ago the same was the case with the Bulldogs where we'd travelled to them 4 years in a row without a visit from them.

Learned that the Pies have an unhealthy reliance on Grundy. His form-line this year runs parallel to the team. The mids aren't yet mature enough to compensate when he has a downer. No surprise that the Pies worst loss this year came at the hands of the Power, when Ryder did a job on him. His goal for 2018 is consistency. And the goal for the other mids is to not crack the sads when he isn't dominating.

Hated? Can't decide. Maybe the 'over the shoulder' against Steele late in the 3rd. Pedantic doesn't even begin to describe it. A perfect example of everything that is wrong with umpiring. Or maybe the commentators who failed to mention that Dunn was moved onto Kennedy in the last quarter, and then failed to mention Greenwood's fine job on Gaff. If I did my job that badly I'd be sacked. We almost made it through an entire Pies game without hearing the cliché 'the coach is under pressure', but Daisy Pierce spat it out immediately after the final siren. So close. Maybe next week. Or maybe the journo who asked Bucks about Daicos' inaccurate goal kicking in the VFL. What a dick. The kid hasn't even played his first AFL game yet, and these *ers already have him in the gun.

Liked? The Herald Sun. It's a perfect size to line my bird cage.

Serious question, because I haven't had the chance to see any Crows games this year. In what way have the Crows changed from the team that Sydney dismantled in the final last year? That game was over by Quarter Time. Have you changed that much?
The thing I took from the final vs Sydney last year was that although the crows started badly in that game and were outplayed in the first half, they pulled the score back to a 3 goal margin just prior to 3/4 time and then ran out of gas in the last as they had been down 2 players for a fair portion of the match in Talia and Lever which really affected their rotations. Assuming they don't get the bad luck to lose 2 players early in the match and with a more mature midfield group that now comprises a dominant Matt Crouch, a fully fit Brad Crouch, less reliance on Rory Sloane and a very promising Hugh Greenwood, I think they are better placed to match it inside with Sydney and the crows certainly have the pace on the outside to hurt them and the forward line to kick a winning score and a defence that has the personel to hold the sydney forwards. The coaches have also learnt to adapt and change tactics better than earlier this year and last year. I guess we will see in a few weeks time how it all plays out, but I am more confident now than last year

Richmond v North in H&A

2011: North v Richmond at Etihad
2011: Richmond v North at Etihad
2012: Richmond v North at MCG
2013: North v Richmond at Etihad
2014: North v Richmond at Etihad
2015: North v Richmond at Blundstone
2015: Richmond v North at Etihad
2016: North v Richmond at Blundstone
2017: North v Richmond at Etihad

Six home games to three over the last seven years. Two of our home games have been at their home ground, so we have had the home ground advantage once since 2011.

That is dreadful, the interstate teams get a dream run with 12 games at home per year while Caro complains the Tigers have to travel to Geelong next week....

The thing I took from the final vs Sydney last year was that although the crows started badly in that game and were outplayed in the first half, they pulled the score back to a 3 goal margin just prior to 3/4 time and then ran out of gas in the last as they had been down 2 players for a fair portion of the match in Talia and Lever which really affected their rotations. Assuming they don't get the bad luck to lose 2 players early in the match and with a more mature midfield group that now comprises a dominant Matt Crouch, a fully fit Brad Crouch, less reliance on Rory Sloane and a very promising Hugh Greenwood, I think they are better placed to match it inside with Sydney and the crows certainly have the pace on the outside to hurt them and the forward line to kick a winning score and a defence that has the personel to hold the sydney forwards. The coaches have also learnt to adapt and change tactics better than earlier this year and last year. I guess we will see in a few weeks time how it all plays out, but I am more confident now than last year
You'd think so. You're a better outfit this year. I think if Sloane gets tagged it doesn't help you, but other players looked to have lifted a bit.

Sydney are a pretty good outfit. Their midfield is the best in the competition

Liked:
Rory Sloane's performance after a full-on concussion
6 goals from Liam Picken
Ben Brown's performance
Melbourne's first half
Brisbane's effort.
Collingwood's come from behind win.

Learnt:
The Crows could be about to peak at the right part of the season.
The Hawks have far from put the cue in the rack.
The Blues have put the cue in the rack.
The Swans are looking even more ominous by the week.

Hated:
Dale Morris' injury

Last edited:
Learnt: Collingwood might be ok. Coaches etc might change, but the major review is similar to ours, and their win over west coast reminded me of our win against them late last year. Scrappy, but a bit of heart. If the players have a bit of care, it goes a long way, and will make them at least competitive if they play their cards right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back