Preview Round 18: North Melbourne vs Essendon, Carrara, Sunday 18/07/2021 @ 12.35PM

Chicken Dinner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Great changes, we aren't winning the flag so give the youngsters a go and move on the guys that are not capable.

If Cunnington was playing I would have bet my house on them winning the game, though I don't gamble. With him out it gives our paper thin midfield a chance and we should be able to sneak in but it still pretty even money this game.

I'm sorry, but can someone explain the sheer amount of vitriol that comes from North supporters around us? Reading through their preview thread leaves me so confused. I've been around bigfooty for a long time, and it just confuses me so much. They still use an asterix (incorrectly may I add) for us? Over soemthing that happened, what, 6 years ago? It seems as though most other supporters have gotten over it, or there's a cheeky jab (ha) here and there about it. But it feels like the whole saga personally traumatised so many of them. Honestly just leaves me so confused. I enjoy beating them purely for how much we continue to live in their heads. It's a bit of a laugh to see them so affected by us. They hold on to the fact that hooker ruffled the hair of one of their players how long ago? All just so bizarre to me.

I'm sorry, but can someone explain the sheer amount of vitriol that comes from North supporters around us? Reading through their preview thread leaves me so confused. I've been around bigfooty for a long time, and it just confuses me so much. They still use an asterix (incorrectly may I add) for us? Over soemthing that happened, what, 6 years ago? It seems as though most other supporters have gotten over it, or there's a cheeky jab (ha) here and there about it. But it feels like the whole saga personally traumatised so many of them. Honestly just leaves me so confused. I enjoy beating them purely for how much we continue to live in their heads. It's a bit of a laugh to see them so affected by us. They hold on to the fact that hooker ruffled the hair of one of their players how long ago? All just so bizarre to me.
The way to think about it is the way we think about Carlton. The difference though is that Carlton hate us like we hate them whereas I think for most of us, we couldn't care less about Kangas. Although I must say, having read their preview threads this game and earlier in the year, it has made me want to beat them more.

They don't have rivalries I guess given they didn't win much until the 1970s and have had limited periods of relevance but seem to find something in a rivalry with us, I think mainly based on the late 90s when both teams were strong.

The way to think about it is the way we think about Carlton. The difference though is that Carlton hate us like we hate them whereas I think for most of us, we couldn't care less about Kangas. Although I must say, having read their preview threads this game and earlier in the year, it has made me want to beat them more.

They don't have rivalries I guess given they didn't win much until the 1970s and have had limited periods of relevance but seem to find something in a rivalry with us, I think mainly based on the late 90s when both teams were strong.
Ah okay. That's helpful. I feel like rivalries need to go both ways to actually be rivalry? Maybe that's why it feels so forced on their part. An attempt at relevancy?

Its baffling and amusing at the same time. The asterix thing seems to be a part of the lexicon that is only exclusive to BF, never seen it anywhere else. On our end there is more apathy for North rather than a legit. searing hate compared to our real, traditional rivals.

All fanbases have their fruitcakes, but certain posters are something else. Like for some, their life revolves around the fortunes of their team. Real life may not be great for said people in their lives, so footy acts as a release. And from there you get those varying reactions, maybe there is some of that there. Not necessarily exclusive to North either and more of a general observation.

I don't hate North, one side of the family have been North fans for generations so they've always been a second sort of team for me. Couldn't help but admire them when we were both powerhouses in the mid to late 90s. The shootout games were highly entertaining and talent-wise players like Carey, Abraham, Pickett, McKernan, Blakey, Bell, Motlop etc you could appreciate.

Anyway, they've had a solid month and a bit, their tails are up and despite Cunners missing for them this looms as a real banana skin game, as we've been a little unconvincing for large blocks of games in recent times. Understandable though.

Last edited:
Dude, we lined them up. Think about that. WE LINED THEM UP!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not expecting a huge crowd on Sunday. The AFL haven't opened up all of the seats for sale, a bit like tonight's game. Bizarre really, reckon we average around 15K at Metricon against the Suns over the years (forget last year's figures for obvious reasons). Not a state government mandate either, 100% capacity allowed.

They’ve OD on Shinboner spirit. Only explanation.

Easily the biggest * wits on bigfooty those campaigners

I think it started at the beginning when we joined the competition and prevented them from joining for what..about another 30 years later?

I think they are also jealous of our rich history and large following.

North Melbourne probably should have merged before Fitzroy Lions did.

Overall like most of us i don't hate North Melbourne but they love to hate us. I guess you got to hate someone right?

It wasn't until I joined Big Footy that I really started disliking North. And even then it's more their supporters on here that I dislike rather than the club itself. To a man they're such pompous campaigners, exemplified in Snake and Wild Bill.

It wasn't until I joined Big Footy that I really started disliking North. And even then it's more their supporters on here that I dislike rather than the club itself. To a man they're such pompous campaigners, exemplified in Snake and Wild Bill.
This!
I didn't even knew they existed until I joined bigfooty.

The thread they had about our 2012 stuff ups on their page was far beyond any other clubs forums.
That thread was something like 1000 pages. Probably still going, I don't go on their page any longer.

I asked the same question as to why the level of hate towards us. Was told by one of their supporters we aided in an attempt have them fold or merged. I couldn't find anything to support that.

I think it's a jelousy thing.
Strangely I still like the club.

Think about North this way.

They are the old bloke that goes on and on about some girl he liked years ago but she rejected him.

North Melbourne was once a poor suburb and Essendon was middle class, this has left North with a chip on the shoulder that Essendon people think they are better than them and the saga gives them something to fire back at Essendon because they don't have much else.

The thread they had about our 2012 stuff ups on their page was far beyond any other clubs forums.
That thread was something like 1000 pages. Probably still going, I don't go on their page any longer.

I asked the same question as to why the level of hate towards us. Was told by one of their supporters we aided in an attempt have them fold or merged. I couldn't find anything to support that.

I think it's a jelousy thing.
Strangely I still like the club.

Not heard that one but we nearly merged with them in the 1920s until a few wealthy Essendon types stepped in to stop it.

The Hawks board has a long thread about the saga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back