Round 18 Tips and Crowd Expectations

Remove this Banner Ad

You've come to tipping thread and thrown pot shots at the cats, which you do every week with no reason except "because I said so". It's fine that you think the cats won't go all the way, there are plenty of cats supporters who think the same thing, but they provide reasons for it (not enough depth in the ruck, losing the contested possession by too much, not showing enough grit at the coalface etc).

The best you've got (in this thread) is that "the wheels are falling off". Which they're not, objectively or otherwise. I'm still waiting for a fact based reason why we're not going anywhere this season.
1. I think your game plan on larger grounds is compromised due to opposition teams using space more effectively
2. Larger grounds allow teams to bypass your ‘corridor of uncertainty’ which is your huge advantage
3. I think Stanley is vastly improved, but I think, after watching the Saints game, he is not reliable enough to win enough of the contest
4. If Hawkins is held by a good defender (WC, Collingwood and Richmond have them) then your major avenue dries up.
5. I believe a faster paced forward line can exploit your defensive unit of normally excellent taller defenders
6. I think tagging Joel Selwood or Tim Kelly removes a huge part of your midfield as I don’t think Dangerfield warrants a tag as he isn’t dangerous enough with the ball

Adelaide Vs Essendon: 24 points (51,000)

Richmond Vs Port Adelaide: 21 points (44,000)

Carlton Vs Gold Coast 26 points: (30,000)

GWS Vs Collingwood: 4 points (16,000)

Brisbane Vs North Melbourne: 1 point (26,000)

Fremantle Vs Sydney: 13 points (33,000)

Geelong Vs Hawthorn: 21 point (55,000)

Melbourne Vs West Coast: 20 points (7,000)

St Kilda Vs Western Bulldogs: 2 points (30,000)

1. I think your game plan on larger grounds is compromised due to opposition teams using space more effectively
2. Larger grounds allow teams to bypass your ‘corridor of uncertainty’ which is your huge advantage
3. I think Stanley is vastly improved, but I think, after watching the Saints game, he is not reliable enough to win enough of the contest
4. If Hawkins is held by a good defender (WC, Collingwood and Richmond have them) then your major avenue dries up.
5. I believe a faster paced forward line can exploit your defensive unit of normally excellent taller defenders
6. I think tagging Joel Selwood or Tim Kelly removes a huge part of your midfield as I don’t think Dangerfield warrants a tag as he isn’t dangerous enough with the ball
Best oppo post I've seen on Geelong in a while. Good stuff.

1. Our game plan this year, I believe, has been altered to play the larger grounds, hence why we're less dominant at home. I reckon we've played some of our best footy at the MCG this year.
2. Oppo teams normally struggle to play the wings at geelong, not because of their width but because they are so straight. Playing at Geelong does encourage more corridor play as the wings are more easily defended.
3. Stanley was huge for us before the bye, but he has gone off the boil and is becoming a larger liability or us week in week out
4. Was very much our issue against Port, especially once Rohan went down. Is part of the reaosn why Sav is so important to our structure (see Stanley going forward against Adelaide, where Hawk was well held there too)
5. Has been an issue for us since 2012. There are some on the geelong board who bemoan our current slow gamestyle because it's designed to protect our defence over attacking play. Means that our defence is normally setup for those easy intercepts. Bews, O'Connor and Kolo can all play small if need be, but apart from Bews you wouldn't be confident.
6. When we get menengola back (hopefully for guthrie) I think this will be less of an issue. We're lucky enough that if Kelly or Sellers gets tagged we can throw them to the wing/forward and bring in duncan/parfitt/danger/menengola etc to take their spot. Not as effective I agree, but not as dire as it used to be when Selwood was our best midfielder by far back in 2014/2015.

Ross the Boss can stay the boss for as long as he wants over there in Freo, as for Tim Kelly, tank away and get those two first rounders (one must be at least top 5) plus one of those numerous disgruntled Freo players? West Coast will be struggling to do the deal.
Serious question, is there a certain part of the area you are in need? I still think you need a ruckman. So Sean Darcy coming home makes sense.

You know more about Geelongs list than I do. If your going to trade quality like Tim Kelly out, at least get compensation to fill a need.
I'm usually a big fan of your posting because you seem pretty level headed but I feel like every time I see you pop up over the last month has been to talk about how s**t Geelong is. Seems like a weird turnaround.
despite the hawks and Cats ladder positions, these games are usually close.

Saying that hawks have always had the wood over freo. Even in 2017 when the hawks had a shocking year by their standards, they belted my mob in Perth with efficient midfield kicking.

Best oppo post I've seen on Geelong in a while. Good stuff.

1. Our game plan this year, I believe, has been altered to play the larger grounds, hence why we're less dominant at home. I reckon we've played some of our best footy at the MCG this year.
2. Oppo teams normally struggle to play the wings at geelong, not because of their width but because they are so straight. Playing at Geelong does encourage more corridor play as the wings are more easily defended.
3. Stanley was huge for us before the bye, but he has gone off the boil and is becoming a larger liability or us week in week out
4. Was very much our issue against Port, especially once Rohan went down. Is part of the reaosn why Sav is so important to our structure (see Stanley going forward against Adelaide, where Hawk was well held there too)
5. Has been an issue for us since 2012. There are some on the geelong board who bemoan our current slow gamestyle because it's designed to protect our defence over attacking play. Means that our defence is normally setup for those easy intercepts. Bews, O'Connor and Kolo can all play small if need be, but apart from Bews you wouldn't be confident.
6. When we get menengola back (hopefully for guthrie) I think this will be less of an issue. We're lucky enough that if Kelly or Sellers gets tagged we can throw them to the wing/forward and bring in duncan/parfitt/danger/menengola etc to take their spot. Not as effective I agree, but not as dire as it used to be when Selwood was our best midfielder by far back in 2014/2015.
Just on your point 5, which I agree with, what do you think the reasoning is to slow down the tempo to allow your defence to set up? I see that playing in to the hands of your defenders as they’re excellent, but you don’t kick goals that way.

What this does is allow opposition defenders the same luxury, so the question must be asked; do you have enough speed and effective transition to run the ball from back to forward and score? The way I see it, the MCG should be an advantage. I would think once in control down back you would spread hard to the wings using Duncan and Kelly to take it wide and run, then bring it in towards Hawkins.

Just on your point 5, which I agree with, what do you think the reasoning is to slow down the tempo to allow your defence to set up? I see that playing in to the hands of your defenders as they’re excellent, but you don’t kick goals that way.
I believe we play this style to protect our defence. If we are allowed to set up behind the play and control the tempo, when it comes back the other way there isn't 2/3/4 small forwards/midfielders ready for a chaos ball.

At the start of the year we played two-half footy. Slow out of the back half, and once the ball went forward of centre it was quickly whipped into the F50, and deep, with our two talls (hawkins and sav) spread wide, and each with one or two smalls ready to pounce on the ground ball. Some of that has been taken away by the defence (the easy ground ball), some of that has been taken away by our lack of desire to move the ball in as quickly. Guess we will see on Sunday if our older game style comes back or not.

I believe we play this style to protect our defence. If we are allowed to set up behind the play and control the tempo, when it comes back the other way there isn't 2/3/4 small forwards/midfielders ready for a chaos ball.

At the start of the year we played two-half footy. Slow out of the back half, and once the ball went forward of centre it was quickly whipped into the F50, and deep, with our two talls (hawkins and sav) spread wide, and each with one or two smalls ready to pounce on the ground ball. Some of that has been taken away by the defence (the easy ground ball), some of that has been taken away by our lack of desire to move the ball in as quickly. Guess we will see on Sunday if our older game style comes back or not.
I think against a really good defence this might be negative for you. Say it’s West Coast. It would allow McGovern, Hurn and Barass to get in position and if they win, repel quickly.

Fair?

I actually think you’re better off moving the ball quickly from defence. Straight out to the space. The G shouldn’t ever be a disadvantage with Kelly and Duncan in your side. Playing a truly outside game allows you to then go hard into Hawkins or Esava, with your crumbing forwards coming into the equation.

Just an observation. I also think Scott has to find a way to get Stanley into form and fast.

What this does is allow opposition defenders the same luxury, so the question must be asked; do you have enough speed and effective transition to run the ball from back to forward and score? The way I see it, the MCG should be an advantage. I would think once in control down back you would spread hard to the wings using Duncan and Kelly to take it wide and run, then bring it in towards Hawkins.

The problem with Geelong as of late is they seem complacent sitting 2 games clear. First half of the year they played good hard pressure football. Something i hadn’t seen for years.
They have definitely slowed down their ball movement to the point that watching their last 4 games has been nothing short of Boring football.
Interesting game this week. They haven’t lost at the MCG this year. And funnily enough they have played their best football there this year.

I agree with you that I don’t think they will win it mainly due to past finals results but We won’t know how good they really are until the finals.

The problem with Geelong as of late is they seem complacent sitting 2 games clear. First half of the year they played good hard pressure football. Something i hadn’t seen for years.
They have definitely slowed down their ball movement to the point that watching their last 4 games has been nothing short of Boring football.
Interesting game this week. They haven’t lost at the MCG this year. And funnily enough they have played their best football there this year.

I agree with you that I don’t think they will win it mainly due to past finals results but We won’t know how good they really are until the finals.
I am not sure nor confident that Scott has the ability to adjust his game enough. I think the best way for Geelong to win is to move the ball faster from HB.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon 15 Points (Another typical crows performance at home. way too predictable this result)
Richmond 22 points
Carlton by 41 points
Collingwood by 9 points
Brisbane by 35 points
Fremantle 17 points
Geelong 29 points
West Coast by 38 points
Bulldogs by 7 points

People still don't rate us. Which is fine. As we still have alot to prove.

I think the thinking is more "can they sustain it?"

Brisbane have played some pretty good footy throughout they year, but can the side deliver at the pointy end of the season and during finals? That will be the tell.

FWIW I think you'll be the team to drop out of the Top 4 for Richmond. Every game for the rest of the season bar the Suns is a danger game, and you finish with Geelong and Richmond. 5-6 is my prediction.

I think the thinking is more "can they sustain it?"

Brisbane have played some pretty good footy throughout they year, but can the side deliver at the pointy end of the season and during finals? That will be the tell.

FWIW I think you'll be the team to drop out of the Top 4 for Richmond. Every game for the rest of the season bar the Suns is a danger game, and you finish with Geelong and Richmond. 5-6 is my prediction.
I agree with everything apary from the finishing spot. Still questions around us. But as a supporter i think we can answer them (hopefully). Think we might finish 3rd.

Adelaide (with a doubt, hard game to pick)
Richmond
Collingwood
Gold Coast
Brisbane
Sydney Swans
Geelong
Melbourne
Western Bulldogs

I agree with everything apary from the finishing spot. Still questions around us. But as a supporter i think we can answer them (hopefully). Think we might finish 3rd.
Hope Brisbane do well for the remainder of the season, They took one of my favourite players and are killing me in the footy tipping , But looking forward to some new blood in the finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back