Unofficial Preview Round 18 v WCE - A Horror Story from the West (opposition supporters ostensibly welcome)

Remove this Banner Ad

Canary

All Australian
Oct 1, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Reading FC
A mass of navy blue, gold and grey greeted me as I wearily clambered my way onto the central platform of Perth train station. The navy blue and gold were obvious and familiar, but the grey of a rapidly aging membership base that clutched on to their guaranteed tickets like the way a vulture clutches the rotting flesh of a pitiful creature in its hooked maw was a new addition to my yearly pilgrimage. This was the collective that still asked why Phil Matera wasn’t playing. ‘I like him, he’s good,’ was the extent of their footballing knowledge.

My demons jumper stood out like Dean Terlich in a room full of footballers, primarily because it was the least demonic thing in the vicinity.

For the twelfth year in a row I was making the harrowing journey to the satanic hell-pit known as Beelzebub’s Domain Stadium, and for the twelfth year in a row I came prepared for disappointment, a response conditioned in me by - not only years of losses - but the unbridled arrogance of a legion of fans drunk on decades of success. Twelve years and not a single win. ‘I must be cursed,’ I mused. For as long as I’d been going to games in the West, Melbourne had never won. Christ, the best result was when we only lost by 11 to Fremantle after an electric third quarter. Best players – Sylvia, Frawley and Macdonald. I was high on that ‘win’ for weeks.

I had left home earlier that day cautiously optimistic. ‘Surely we have to bounce back after the horrid display last week.’ I thought to myself. ‘We’ll bring in Oliver and Nibbler, and Hogan will have a field day on his old home turf. Not to mention Jones, Viney, Tyson and Gawn. Without Naitanui Gawn will be unstoppable.’

This faint glimmer of hope was snuffed out as soon as a s**t-stained child wearing a vintage gradient guernsey yelled at me ‘the demons are gonna get PWND today, you’re (sic, assumed) bald pussy captain is weak as s**t.’ I laughed politely (another conditioned response), but my head started playing Simon & Garfunkel’s ‘Sound of Silence.’

Wounded, I found a secluded nook next to a patented Perth meth-head and fell into a stupor.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I came to the entire platform was empty, and a faint red glow permeated across the station. It was otherworldly. I checked my phone. 14:36. The game started a minute ago, if I left now I could probably catch the second quarter. I called an Uber – Colin Sylvia driving a Holden Monaro was 3 minutes away. He was only rated one star. Unnerved by the lack of people I hurried to the exit.

Just as I opened the door to the bright white lights of the city a flickering neon sign caught my attention. I felt drawn to it. A voice in my head was saying ‘yes Canary, go towards the light.’ Against my better judgement I closed the door to the outside world and wandered toward the light. As I approached the sign the red glow was replaced by pitch black. All I could see was the neon light.

I was close enough now that I could make out the particulars of the sign. It was an arrow, pointing me deeper into the darkness. Within the flashing bulbs were the barely legible words ‘MFC fans this way.’

I continued down the path. My eyes were adjusting to the darkness and I slowly began to see a looming structure ahead. A single fluorescent light in a sickly shade of red and blue dangled from the ceiling, illuminating the surrounds. I breathed in sharply – could this be the answer? Could I be the one to lift the curse?

Feeling a strange sense of calm, I moved my hand along the exterior. Feeling some grooves I examined closer. Twelve years of dust encased the shell of the structure. I brushed away the grime and the muck and saw exactly what I feared. Branded on the side in professional typeface with immaculate kerning were the words ‘Western Demons Bandwagon, est. 1987 ’ but next to it, written in dried, crusty blood was ‘disbanded 2004.’

One of the nearby doors was hanging off its hinges, so I entered the relic. The inside was lit only by a seemingly endless number of screens showing replay after replay of the many MFC failures in Perth since 2004. ‘What is this place’ I muttered to no-one in particular. ‘A graveyard,’ a sinister voice replied.

As I made my way down the carriage I tripped, and - to my horror - when I looked down I saw the sprawled, mangled body of Steven Armstrong, although his bloated face made it hard to tell it was him. Leaning in closer it looked as if he’d been strangled, with the murder weapon still around his neck – ‘2006 Premiership Medal, Steven Armstrong.’ ‘Apt,’ I thought.

Next to Steven was a zip-lock bag of a mysterious white powder. ‘No,’ I said, throwing the bag away. ‘That would be too easy.’

Determined to find an answer to the MFC’s Perth performances I continued down the carriage. Echoing down the carriage I could hear the mindless, incoherent babbling of what sounded like a small child. A large, naked body was curled in the foetal position, rocking back and forth. I tried to edge past the wretched thing but suddenly it looked at me with fear in its eyes, its incomprehensible ramblings more pronounced. I could make out the distinctive facial features and mental scarring of Cale Morton. He had the number ‘88’ branded into his forehead.

I was getting closer to the end, I could feel it. A metal door blocked my way. Weapons-grade deadlocks prevented me from opening it. A distorted, menacing voice rang out over the PA.

‘So, Canary, you have come to find out your beloved Demons are incapable of winning in Perth?’

‘Who are you? Why have you brought me here?’ I asked, my voice breaking in fear.

‘Oh, you’ll find out soon enough. Before you do, I have just one question. Why support the miserable, pathetic failures you call a football club?’

‘Gee, I don’t know really. I didn’t want to be like everyone else at school. Everyone else supported the Eagles.'

‘You fool! Don’t you see? When you live in Perth there is only one football team to support. I have enough trouble containing those Purple deviants. I control this city, I control your destiny. I do not take kindly to miscreants like you undermining me. And now, like the rest of you snivelling sad-sack wannabe skiers you have played right into my hands. All you have done is given me another body to add to my collection.'

The metal door flew open and a winged servant who looked oddly like Jamie Bennell leapt at me, pinning my arms to the floor.

A masked figure caped in gold and navy blue leered down at me.

‘You should’ve moved to Melbourne when you had the chance.’

Jamie pulled out a syringe filled with a thick substance and injected it into my arm.

‘Noooo!’ I cried out.

‘It’s too late, Canary.’ The figure took off his masked to reveal the scarred visage of a corrupted Adam Simpson.

‘Come, sleep my child. When you wake you shall join my army, and together we shall rule the west.’

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

‘Wake up man, wake up.'

Someone was shaking me and I reluctantly opened my leaden eyes. The platform was bustling again, the flock of navy blue, gold and grey had returned. The meth-head I was sharing the nook with wanted to stretch out.

‘Geez, I need to get my beauty sleep,' he said.

I apologised and looked down at my phone. 17:30. The game was over, I’d slept through everything. Prepared for the worse I checked the scores on my phone.

A faint smile touched my lips. Maybe the curse was broken?

Demons by 12.

A mass of navy blue, gold and grey greeted me as I wearily clambered my way onto the central platform of Perth train station. The navy blue and gold were obvious and familiar, but the grey of a rapidly aging membership base that clutched on to their guaranteed tickets like the way a vulture clutches the rotting flesh of a pitiful creature in its hooked maw was a new addition to my yearly pilgrimage. This was the collective that still asked why Phil Matera wasn’t playing. ‘I like him, he’s good,’ was the extent of their footballing knowledge.

My demons jumper stood out like Dean Terlich in a room full of footballers, primarily because it was the least demonic thing in the vicinity.

For the twelfth year in a row I was making the harrowing journey to the satanic hell-pit known as Beelzebub’s Domain Stadium, and for the twelfth year in a row I came prepared for disappointment, a response conditioned in me by - not only years of losses - but the unbridled arrogance of a legion of fans drunk on decades of success. Twelve years and not a single win. ‘I must be cursed,’ I mused. For as long as I’d been going to games in the West, Melbourne had never won. Christ, the best result was when we only lost by 11 to Fremantle after an electric third quarter. Best players – Sylvia, Frawley and Macdonald. I was high on that ‘win’ for weeks.

I had left home earlier that day cautiously optimistic. ‘Surely we have to bounce back after the horrid display last week.’ I thought to myself. ‘We’ll bring in Oliver and Nibbler, and Hogan will have a field day on his old home turf. Not to mention Jones, Viney, Tyson and Gawn. Without Naitanui Gawn will be unstoppable.’

This faint glimmer of hope was snuffed out as soon as a s**t-stained child wearing a vintage gradient guernsey yelled at me ‘the demons are gonna get PWND today, you’re (sic, assumed) bald pussy captain is weak as s**t.’ I laughed politely (another conditioned response), but my head started playing Simon & Garfunkel’s ‘Sound of Silence.’

Wounded, I found a secluded nook next to a patented Perth meth-head and fell into a stupor.

When I came to the entire platform was empty, and a faint red glow permeated across the station. It was otherworldly. I checked my phone. 14:36. The game started a minute ago, if I left now I could probably catch the second quarter. I called an Uber – Colin Sylvia driving a Holden Monaro was 3 minutes away. He was only rated one star. Unnerved by the lack of people I hurried to the exit.

Just as I opened the door to the bright white lights of the city a flickering neon sign caught my attention. I felt drawn to it. A voice in my head was saying ‘yes Canary, go towards the light.’ Against my better judgement I closed the door to the outside world and wandered toward the light. As I approached the sign the red glow was replaced by pitch black. All I could see was the neon light.

I was close enough now that I could make out the particulars of the sign. It was an arrow, pointing me deeper into the darkness. Within the flashing bulbs were the barely legible words ‘MFC fans this way.’

I continued down the path. My eyes were adjusting to the darkness and I slowly began to see a looming structure ahead. A single fluorescent light in a sickly shade of red and blue dangled from the ceiling, illuminating the surrounds. I breathed in sharply – could this be the answer? Could I be the one to lift the curse?

Feeling a strange sense of calm, I moved my hand along the exterior. Feeling some grooves I examined closer. Twelve years of dust encased the shell of the structure. I brushed away the grime and the muck and saw exactly what I feared. Branded on the side in professional typeface with immaculate kerning were the words ‘Western Demons Bandwagon, est. 1987 ’ but next to it, written in dried, crusty blood was ‘disbanded 2004.’

One of the nearby doors was hanging off its hinges, so I entered the relic. The inside was lit only by a seemingly endless number of screens showing replay after replay of the many MFC failures in Perth since 2004. ‘What is this place’ I muttered to no-one in particular. ‘A graveyard,’ a sinister voice replied.

As I made my way down the carriage I tripped, and - to my horror - when I looked down I saw the sprawled, mangled body of Steven Armstrong, although his bloated face made it hard to tell it was him. Leaning in closer it looked as if he’d been strangled, with the murder weapon still around his neck – ‘2006 Premiership Medal, Steven Armstrong.’ ‘Apt,’ I thought.

Next to Steven was a zip-lock bag of a mysterious white powder. ‘No,’ I said, throwing the bag away. ‘That would be too easy.’

Determined to find an answer to the MFC’s Perth performances I continued down the carriage. Echoing down the carriage I could hear the mindless, incoherent babbling of what sounded like a small child. A large, naked body was curled in the foetal position, rocking back and forth. I tried to edge past the wretched thing but suddenly it looked at me with fear in its eyes, its incomprehensible ramblings more pronounced. I could make out the distinctive facial features and mental scarring of Cale Morton. He had the number ‘88’ branded into his forehead.

I was getting closer to the end, I could feel it. A metal door blocked my way. Weapons-grade deadlocks prevented me from opening it. A distorted, menacing voice rang out over the PA.

‘So, Canary, you have come to find out your beloved Demons are incapable of winning in Perth?’

‘Who are you? Why have you brought me here?’ I asked, my voice breaking in fear.

‘Oh, you’ll find out soon enough. Before you do, I have just one question. Why support the miserable, pathetic failures you call a football club?’

‘Gee, I don’t know really. I didn’t want to be like everyone else at school. Everyone else supported the Eagles.'

‘You fool! Don’t you see? When you live in Perth there is only one football team to support. I have enough trouble containing those Purple deviants. I control this city, I control your destiny. I do not take kindly to miscreants like you undermining me. And now, like the rest of you snivelling sad-sack wannabe skiers you have played right into my hands. All you have done is given me another body to add to my collection.'

The metal door flew open and a winged servant who looked oddly like Jamie Bennell leapt at me, pinning my arms to the floor.

Jamie pulled out a syringe filled with a thick substance and injected it into my arm.

‘Noooo!’ I cried out.

‘It’s too late, Canary.’ The figure took off his masked to reveal the scarred visage of a corrupted Adam Simpson.

‘Come, sleep my child. When you wake you shall join my army, and together we shall rule the west.’

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

‘Wake up man, wake up.'

Someone was shaking me and I reluctantly opened my leaden eyes. The platform was bustling again, the flock of navy blue, gold and grey had returned. The meth-head I was sharing the nook with wanted to stretch out.

I apologised and looked down at my phone. 17:30. The game was over, I’d slept through everything. Prepared for the worse I checked the scores on my phone.

Demons by 12.
Brilliant Canary, and therein lies the answer to the Curse, don't attend any more games, so that is maybe two wins at least in 2017 for us. Go Dees.

‘Noooo!’ I cried out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

‘Wake up man, wake up.'

Demons by 12.
Congrats mate. Stuck out like Dean Terlich in a roomful of footballers. I'm still chuckling about that and I'm in public and getting looks :thumbsu:

Brilliant, love your work.

Why support the miserable, pathetic failures you call a football club?’

I give the same answer to that question - which I get asked on a regular basis. 50% of the time it's me asking the question...

I know Crows fans get a lot of that sort of stereotype, and I spose we do too ('good kick number 4' etc), but geez a lot of long term West Coast members are atrocious with their football knowledge. Legit don't know 80% of the opposition players.

My old boss (member since the late 80's) had no idea who Adam Simpson was when he was appointed coach.

This sic, assumed bit is excellent, however if the kid did say it like that he was actually grammatically correct.

Hmmmm.... Got to disagree here

the demons are gonna get PWND today, you’re (sic, assumed) bald pussy captain is weak as s**t

You are bald pussy captain

Your bald pussy captain

Seems he wrote "you're" and then pointed out the incorrect grammatical context..... But meh, I've had a few ports on this cool winter evening so maybe I got it wrong. :p:p:p

the demons are gonna get PWND today, you’re (sic, assumed) bald pussy captain is weak as s**t

Your bald pussy captain

Seems he wrote "you're" and then pointed out the incorrect grammatical context..... But meh, I've had a few ports on this cool winter evening so maybe I got it wrong. :p:p:p
Oh my god. I can't believe I got that so ****ed up. Your right.

Your bald pussy captain

I'm so angry with myself rn

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know Crows fans get a lot of that sort of stereotype, and I spose we do too ('good kick number 4' etc), but geez a lot of long term West Coast members are atrocious with their football knowledge. Legit don't know 80% of the opposition players.

My old boss (member since the late 80's) had no idea who Adam Simpson was when he was appointed coach.

It's actually a huge problem for football development in WA. Because Subiaco is so small it's becoming increasingly harder/more expensive for the general public to attend games. I'm actually not going on Saturday, mainly because it's my Dad's birthday but also because the cheapest ticket is bordering on $70. A number of WCE membership holders simply renew each year because they both have the means to and it's something to do every week as opposed to genuine interest in the team. This means the younger generation - including the high number of South African, South Sudanese and English immigrants - aren't getting exposure to live football (whether that be through a friend from school taking them or a passing interest). They are much more likely to go to a soccer or basketball game.

The new stadium cannot come quickly enough.

I've also found the Eagles to be the primary 'default' team for non-AFL fans. Not quite sure why this is, maybe because I live in Western suburbs, might be a different story down south.

Also thank you all for the kind words, I've had the idea for a while and had fun putting it down.

It's actually a huge problem for football development in WA. Because Subiaco is so small it's becoming increasingly harder/more expensive for the general public to attend games. I'm actually not going on Saturday, mainly because it's my Dad's birthday but also because the cheapest ticket is bordering on $70. A number of WCE membership holders simply renew each year because they both have the means to and it's something to do every week as opposed to genuine interest in the team. This means the younger generation - including the high number of South African, South Sudanese and English immigrants - aren't getting exposure to live football (whether that be through a friend from school taking them or a passing interest). They are much more likely to go to a soccer or basketball game.

I've also found the Eagles to be the primary 'default' team for non-AFL fans. Not quite sure why this is, maybe because I live in Western suburbs, might be a different story down south.

Also thank you all for the kind words, I've had the idea for a while and had fun putting it down.
Melbourne better not go and win now that your (sic) not attending

Yep I agree. Whilst I get a ticket included in my membership, if I want to take anyone with me it's $60 / $70 (I can't remember which exactly). Even worse when you consider there's a chance it could rain on Saturday and I won't be sitting under cover. It's absolute robbery when sitting in the same seat is $25 at the MCG. I've whinged about it before here and reckon I will continue to do so...

Also, they're suggesting the prices will be even higher at the new stadium. Really taking advantage of a captive market.

The Eagles are the default team because they were here first, so anyone in their 40s or older with nothing more than a passing interest will lean towards the Eagles.

I've discussed this with a couple of parents of school aged kids previously, and told them to go to WAFL instead. Sure, there's no atmosphere but at least the kids can have a kick on the ground and it's only $30 for 2 adults and kids. Compare that to seeing a game at Subiaco which would cost about 6 times that amount.

I've discussed this with a couple of parents of school aged kids previously, and told them to go to WAFL instead. Sure, there's no atmosphere but at least the kids can have a kick on the ground and it's only $30 for 2 adults and kids. Compare that to seeing a game at Subiaco which would cost about 6 times that amount.

Winner winner, chicken dinner. I'll be taking my littlies up to Garlic town when they are old enough. I can't see atending AFL games in Perth being a regular rotation at all unless the lotto numbers come off.

Awesome preview Canary !

I'll be there again on Saturday. 10 years of me attending games over here without a win. You're preview certainly resonated with me (the s**t-stained child, The Sounds of Silence, .....the mangled body of Steven Armstrong).

I'm also pretty sick of Colin Sylvia's 1-star Uber service constantly hovering around my house. Just piss off to another part of the city, Col!

Awesome preview Canary !

I'll be there again on Saturday. 10 years of me attending games over here without a win. You're preview certainly resonated with me (the s**t-stained child, The Sounds of Silence, .....the mangled body of Steven Armstrong).

I'm also pretty sick of Colin Sylvia's 1-star Uber service constantly hovering around my house. Just piss off to another part of the city, Col!
You're a trooper.

Games at Subi are an interesting experience. The locals seem to only really care about Watts. They go ******* mental whenever he goes near the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back