Review Round 18 vs Carlton.

Remove this Banner Ad

17th on the ladder but everyone knows they are a better team than that at the moment. Beat Sydney last week, Freo recently over there etc.

Given their talent on the park and the guys we were missing I thought it was an outstanding result.
For me not outstanding result but effort was very good especially the last 1 and half quarter. Real shame we did not win against St Kilda. It would make a world difference for players confidence. We beat Carlton in most important stats, 90 tackles, winning contested possessions, centre clearances, run out the game strongly.

Actually really enjoyed watching the game - clearly they’re trying to move into a more offensive game play (which we get punished on turnovers by the big teams) - I like the small bits I’m seeing
Agree. At times in the 2nd and early 3rd it looked dire like we'd get blown away.
Small bits are all that keeps us going at the moment.

Fiorini 10 disposals in the first half at 20% DE and confidence looked shattered.
He's then had 22 in the 2nd half at 75% DE.

Brodie learning to be more than just an inside mid. His uncontested possessions are up more this year and sometimes he's not used to having that much space and time and rushes things. That will improve the more he gets the ball in space.
Career high tackles (10), 1% (2), inside 50 (5) for this game.

Touk can finally get around the ground again.
Past 4 games 12, 20, 24 and yesterday 27 disposals. His kicking will always be an issue but at the moment he's important for us.

Heron. Much maligned (me included). 12 of his 16 disposals were contested. Yesterday career high disposals, CP, tackles, clearances, goal assist (2).
Another who for some reason played with more freedom in the 2nd half.

Wright worked hard up the ground. Career high 6 inside 50's. 2nd half when inside 50 looked more dangerous than ever.

King & Luko have improved out of sight from the JLT and early season.

You know, you may be right. It appears every time I noticed him he fluffed it.
But other than his lack of awareness when tackled inside 20m from Carlton’s goal. Maybe he wasn’t as bad as I thought. He did go at 82% disposal efficiency which is quite good. So yep I probably held on to 2 or 3 things and went he was terrible. So harshly judged.
Don't worry, I called out Ellis for underperforming and on second glance he seems to have contributed way more than I first thought.

Dawson was superb in the third quarter. If you like luko you noticed Dawson.

Don't worry, I called out Ellis for underperforming and on second glance he seems to have contributed way more than I first thought.
Ellis had some bad moments. The first Carlton goal contest and then not passing ball to Miller stand out. As much as people were screaming to banish Heron, Dawson they will probably make it while Ellis I am not sure.

Miller's kicking is a legitimate concern at this point. Every time he tries a short kick you can be assured right now that it's going to be a turnover.

He works really hard to get back on transition and as a result he gets used coming out of defence quite a lot. This is normally a good thing but then when he turns it over it comes straight back. If he cannot hit short targets then he should just be kicking long all the time. If there is no-one long then go back and switch it IMO.

Miller's kicking is a legitimate concern at this point. Every time he tries a short kick you can be assured right now that it's going to be a turnover.

He works really hard to get back on transition and as a result he gets used coming out of defence quite a lot. This is normally a good thing but then when he turns it over it comes straight back. If he cannot hit short targets then he should just be kicking long all the time. If there is no-one long then go back and switch it IMO.
I think yesterday he was fine. I remember only one major blunder :)

Any chance Dawson become Brownlow medallist contender and Heron AFL top 5 flanker? I know is against Carlton..:)

I think yesterday he was fine. I remember only one major blunder :)

Got easily pushed out of the way by setterfield for an early Carlton goal

Also terrible looping handball into the middle that was turned over and led to another Carlton goal.

His disposal is usually pretty good so willing to give him a chance for the rest of the year at least.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Got easily pushed out of the way by setterfield for an early Carlton goal

Also terrible looping handball into the middle that was turned over and led to another Carlton goal.

His disposal is usually pretty good so willing to give him a chance for the rest of the year at least.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Are you talking about Ellis? My comment was related to Miller. Too many clangers everywhere :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ellis had some bad moments. The first Carlton goal contest and then not passing ball to Miller stand out. As much as people were screaming to banish Heron, Dawson they will probably make it while Ellis I am not sure.
Not sold on Heron, I'm sure even his fans would have him out of our 22 with a healthier list.

Pressure is definitely on Dawson, but i see enough to like that I'd be happy to give him as long as possible to break out of our rookie list, like DMac over the last few years.

Does anyone know what Ellis contract is like?

Not sold on Heron, I'm sure even his fans would have him out of our 22 with a healthier list.

Pressure is definitely on Dawson, but i see enough to like that I'd be happy to give him as long as possible to break out of our rookie list, like DMac over the last few years.

Does anyone know what Ellis contract is like?
Going by Footywire, he had a 1 year contract, so out of contract at the end of this year.

Commiserations on the loss.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. If you haven't seen a previous post, this is an overall summary of how often players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces.

Overall Summary - 29 Bounces

Ellis 27 wing
Hanley 23 wing
Lemmens 23
Swallow 18
Fiorini 16 (3w)
Brodie 12
Miller 10 (1w)
MacPherson 9
Rischitelli 4 (3i, 1w)
Lukosius 3 wing

Rucks:
Witts 26
Wright 3

Centre Clearances (as per Champion Data/AFL.com.au
Lemmens 4
Witts 3
Brodie 3
Swallow 2
Heron 2
Miller 1
MacPherson 1
Fiorini 1
Wright 1

1st Half - 14

Ellis 13 wing
Lemmens 11
Hanley 9 wing
Swallow 9
Fiorini 8 (2w)
Miller 7 (1w)
Brodie 5
MacPherson 4
Lukosius 3 wing
Rischitelli 1

Witts 13
Wright 1

2nd Half - 15

Ellis 14 wing
Hanley 14 wing
Lemmens 12
Swallow 9
Fiorini 8 (1w)
Brodie 7
MacPherson 5
Miller 3
Rischitelli 3 (2i, 1w)

Witts 13
Wright 2

Notes:
- After barely giving the best clearance mid in the team any on-ball time last week, Dew seemed to strike a balance this week in the first half between his defensive mindset and Brodie's strengths. He maintained his defensive strategy at bounces, leaving Brodie sitting forward, but let him play as a mid post-bounce. In the 2nd half, he was released as a full time mid.
- Most ever starts for Ellis in an analysed game (either side).
- Most ever starts for Lemmens in an analysed game
- Most starts for Hanley at Gold Coast in analysed games and equal 2nd most overall with Rd 12, 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Back