R14 2001 – 92 points

Last Time against Fremantle
R7 2012 – 7.5 47 vs 12.15 87

Most Goals vs Fremantle
43 – W Tredrea
21 – S Dew
17 – B Lade

PREDICTION
I’d love to be confident of a win, but even after the win this week I just don’t think we have the cattle to beat a dour Fremantle who are playing pretty well at the moment. Don’t have the midfield or the forward line to match theirs.

Fremantle by 37 points

If I Could Turn Back Time
R18 2001 – A Showdown Special
“Port will need mandrake to win this” comment Neil Kerley. In one sense Neil was right. The Crows were 36 points in front, 4 minutes into the second quarter. It was going to take a miracle for Port Adelaide to get back into this Showdown. The Crows had started the match on fire, catching Port napping, possibly in a hangover from their mighty win over Essendon the week before. The Crows were kicking goals from everywhere. Riccuito, Marsh, Vardy and Mcleod had all slotted goals from deep in the pockets of the Northern end. Mcleod and Riccuito had kicked 5 between them to this point of the match.

But this is what Port Adelaide is made of. It regrouped. Brogan came on into the ruck. Primus went up forward to provide a marking target. Wanganeen moved into defence. Stevens and James moved into the centre. The turning point? A poor Mark Bickley kick inside 50 was cut off, with the ball ending in the arms of Fabian Francis who goaled from 40. The comeback had begun.

When Chad Cornes goaled minutes later you could sense the change in momentum. The Crows, as they had looked for much of the season, looked nervous and unsure. They stopped backing their instinct, played indirect football and it played into Port Adelaides hands. Fabian Francis kicked another ripper from 50 on the flank. Matthew Primus as he did so often across 2001 & 2002, put the fortunes of the club on his back and willed the team back into it. He kicked 3 goals in a 7 minute patch which saw Port Adelaide get to within a point.

Ports resurgence continued in the third quarter, keeping Adelaide goalless whilst goals to Tredrea, Dew and Paxman on the siren saw Port lead by 16 points at the final change. Two goals to Cockatoo-Collins in the opening two minutes of the final quarter was enough to seal the victory for the Power. Whilst the Crows fought back with three quick goals, it was the strength of Francou, Stevens, Primus and Schofield in the midfield that ensured Port would take the points.

Primus was best afield with 3 goals and 23 hitouts in the ruck. His leadership and inspiration was the key in the Power getting back into the contest. Stevens and Francou shared nearly 50 disposals between them, whilst Tredrea was dominant at centre half forward with 10 marks and 2 goals. In Defence, Brett Montgomery was a rock, as was Paxman who did the job on Jarman.

The victory saw the Power move into third position on the AFL ladder and put them in the box seat to win the coveted double chance.

F: G Wanganeen / C Cornes / C Cockatoo-Collins
HF: R James / W Tredrea / B Guerra
C: S Dew / J Carr / J Schofield
HB: F Francis / D Mead / B Montgomery
B: D Wakelin / S Paxman / A Kingsley

R: M Primus / N Stevens / J Francou
I: D Brogan / M Bishop / J Poulton / M Harwood

PA: 3.3 / 9.5 / 13.7 / 16.11 107
AD: 6.3 / 10.6 / 10.9 / 15.9 99

BEST: Primus, Francou, Tredrea, Stevens, Montgomery, Paxman, Carr, Francis
GOALS: C Cornes, Primus 3; Cockatoo-Collins, Francis, Tredrea, Wanganeen 2; Dew, Paxman

Would love to see Chaplin given the job on Pavlich, but he'll no doubt be given Ballantyne (size mismatch, yeah!) and he'll end up kicking 6 on Carlile.

Would love to see Chaplin given the job on Pavlich, but he'll no doubt be given Ballantyne (size mismatch, yeah!) and he'll end up kicking 6 on Carlile.
I really don't know what happened to our back line it was the best thing going for us at the start of season..

Freo forward line has hit some form now if bobby takes pav well I am scrared for him...

I wouldn't mind seeing how Jackson goes more frm a development point of view on pav.

2012Rd18PAFCvDockersAd.jpg

Hi Port fans. Hope you don't mind opposition supporters joining your pre-game bantar.

Regarding Ballantyne, our forward line has become more interesting in recent weeks with the inclusion of son-son Walters. He adds a bit of class and accuracy, and needs to be respected. Ballantyne is dangerous, but he also wastes a bit of the ball in turnovers. Walters does not. He is playing more of the pure FP in our side at the moment.

I also think that Ballantyne really enjoys the hard attention that comes to him, and often it ends up with him lifting his game. Better just to quietly restrict him. Walters on the other hand could be more susceptible to a player like Surjan getting into him.

Should be closer than the OP suggests. We have a few coming back for this game, and should be close to full strength. Will probably be our best side for the year in my opinion.
Pav's in very good form.
Aliparte to Balla's should be good to watch.
What is the crowd number prediction do you think ??

Should be closer than the OP suggests. We have a few coming back for this game, and should be close to full strength. Will probably be our best side for the year in my opinion.
Pav's in very good form.
Aliparte to Balla's should be good to watch.
What is the crowd number prediction do you think ??

How does this correlate to a close game? With good weather we might get 18k there.

We need to hope Fremantle do a Fremantle here

Not a chance in hell that will happen...

1st off Good Preview macca. Im suprised you didnt mention round 22, 2005 where it was freo vs Port fighting for 8th Spot.

Freo will be motivated to win tis game to pinch a spot in the 8. Still after Ports Win over the dees, Port can win this game. Only reason Im more confident with Freo recently is that the Forward line is very good. Its not Just Pav Kicking the goals. Mayne has been accurate from set shots all season in the Forward 50 and Walters has bee good causing havoc in the Forward pocket.

I said this on the freo board, Freo would love to take one of your Key Forwards out of Schultz, Westoff or Butcher.

We'll give you the Hoff for Fyfe or Hill.

Tempting but no thanks. The Freo board dont do major trades anymore. You guys would Love a Ballantyne on your Squad. He would be worth it for the showdowns alone!:D

Funny thing was Freo picked Fyfe for pick 20 in the 2009 draft while you guys had picks 8, 9 and 16 in which you guys got Butcher, Moore and Pittard. Freo got very lucky in that Draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fyfe is one of the best value selections to come out of the 2009 draft. Absolute gun selection.

As for the game, Freo fans need not worry. Port just doesn't have cattle to force a win. If we get Hartlett and Surjan back this week it may be closer than a 37 point loss, but I'm not liking our chances, particularly after a Darwin game and after Freo had the hard hitting GWS to contend with.

Won Tickets on SAFM this morning, so will be there, hopefully Freo dont try to suck the very soul of the game dry Vs us

Won Tickets on SAFM this morning, so will be there, hopefully Freo dont try to suck the very soul of the game dry Vs us

Can't see Lyon going for a defensive gameplan. In the last 5 or 6 games, and with Pavlich slotting in to the forward line, we have been a lot more attacking and less fixated on trying to get a nil all draw.

I think if we come out and play with intensity and belief we will beat Fremantle. They are a bit of a different proposition away from home, it was not even a fortnight ago I watched them at Etihad struggle to contain Melbourne before eventually crushing them in the final term in a game riddled with errors. Pavlich is obviously in some bloody good form up in the forwardline (making a mockery of being moved all over the field in the last couple of seasons) so Chaplin/Carlile will need to keep him in check or we will be in huge trouble as he is one of the best kicks for goal in the competition. Ballantyne had a surprisingly quiet game against GWS, but regardless of whether he is playing well or not he creates headaches for the opposition simply because he always looks so dangerous. Partnering him as the small forward will be Michael Walters, who after a long stint of terrorising defences in the WAFL has got back into the team and done well (albeit against two of the worst defences in the AFL), if he isn't given the due respect he will hurt us because he doesn't need many opportunities in the forward 50 to end up with a bag.

Their midfield isn't amongst the strongest in the AFL but they still should have ours covered. Crowley always does a pretty good job as a tagger and has a history of hurting us offensively (how he managed a bag of 5 against is beyond me), Mundy is having a poor year given his reputation, Barlow had a slowish start to the year but was terrific in the game I saw him in against Melbourne and if Fyfe comes in as expected he will have to be closely watched.

Given our forward stocks at the moment, I fear that we will struggle to kick a winning score. McPharlin will probably take Daniel Stewart and given Daniel struggles to impact the scoreboard most weeks, it's hard to see him having an impact. Having said that, I thought Stewart did something quite important last week (despite having a very quiet game) in that he lined up on Frawley who refused to pay him respect early, he took a few grabs inside 50 early forcing Frawley to tighten up on him for the rest of the game, restricting the drive that Frawley usually gives Melbourne.

Fremantle are a vulnerable side away from home, we must come out like we did in the Carlton game and show them that they will be in for a rough day. If we don't and their midfield gets too many free inside 50 entries their forward line will cut us to pieces.

Fremantle are a vulnerable side away from home, we must come out like we did in the Carlton game and show them that they will be in for a rough day. If we don't and their midfield gets too many free inside 50 entries their forward line will cut us to pieces.
I actually think we have been better away from home than at Subi this year, I reckon we choke at Subi in front of the home crowd. Away we have taken care of Saints, Richmond and Melbourne at both Etihad and the G which have not been happy hunting grounds for us.
Not saying you can't win, just that I disagree with your assessment of our away form.

I actually think we have been better away from home than at Subi this year, I reckon we choke at Subi in front of the home crowd. Away we have taken care of Saints, Richmond and Melbourne at both Etihad and the G which have not been happy hunting grounds for us.
Not saying you can't win, just that I disagree with your assessment of our away form.

That is true, I guess like all things perception lags a bit behind reality.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back