Review Round 18 vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

this is so spot on

THE PRETENDERS

Port Adelaide has lost two in a row after winning five on the trot. The Power is the highest pressure team in the AFL but, in doing that, it stifles their obvious talent. Is Ken Hinkley too defensive? After last night’s loss their attack is ranked 12th for scoring, which is amazing considering the talent. They are scoring 82 points a match — last year they averaged 98. They have lost 2½ goals with the addition of Jack Watts, Tom Rockliff and Steven Motlop and average the most stoppages in the AFL. Less defence and more offence might be the key coming home.

-Robbo

I'd take a pick between 25-35 for Pittard any day of the week. We have ready made replacements in Bonner and Lienert, not to mention Hartlett and hopefully Broady back next year as well. Take what you can for him. He is surplus to requirements. Package that pick and maybe the Saints pick to get another inside the top 20 and it's a win.

The exclusion zone doesn’t extend behind the mark. Otherwise we wouldn’t see groups of players just behind the mark like we did for Tuohy’s winner on Saturday night. My issue with the Wingard one is that I’m fairly certain he ran past the mark before play on was called.

Davis is no way behind the mark.

upload_2018-7-23_8-52-15.png

View attachment 531466

So here we can clearly see the exact moment the umpire signals play on. Why is Davis 20 cm away at this point? Needs to be 10m and only move once the play on call has been made, not move in and be next to wingard before that call is made

We should be hassling the man on the mark like other teams do.

Pittard doesn't have much value mid to late 2nd rounder at best

he still might have enough … if we use him with our 1st round pick to get a higher 1st round pick

for example

currently we have pick 14 = 1161 pts and if we try to get the saints pick 4 worth 2034pts then all we need is another 873 points (which equals to a pick 2nd round pick say 21) if Pittard is worth a mid 2nd round pick that is around pick 27 which is 703 points

so we could try and trade our 1st round pick + Pittard to try and get the saints 1st round pick hoping that the saints agree to that (after the year they have had)

it would be worth a shot ...

View attachment 531466

So here we can clearly see the exact moment the umpire signals play on. Why is Davis 20 cm away at this point? Needs to be 10m and only move once the play on call has been made, not move in and be next to wingard before that call is made
That changed the result, we would have won if that had gone through, the game still would have been s**t, but we would have the points.

"We make it pretty hard, we understand that, but there's no fairy dust, can't sprinkle something on it and turn it around," Power coach Ken Hinkley said of his team's skill errors.

Yeah because its only been a problem this week mate.

Isn't that why we have a coaches box costing several millions a year, and do training? Other teams with lists much weaker than ours manage OK.

About time someone stood up to take some responsibility. The privilege of working for Port isn't a 9-5 role where you can just clock off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So there were 4 kickouts from GWS last night that had the same result. GWS kicking in from the southern end, Ebo standing on the Eastern wing half way between two GWS players, looking back and forth between them but not committing or calling over help etc.

The first two times they kicked to the GWS player closest to the boundary - Ebo was caught in no-man's-land, tried to get over but was a good second or so late and never impact the contest.

The third time happened exactly the same and I was ready to gouge my eyeballs out.

The fourth time it happened (exactly the same) I just sat back and laughed.

Wingard - well really not just him but everybody - should be smarter and not make it so obvious they are going to step around the mark when taking shots like that.
It was terrible umpiring but Chad left the door open.
Sent from mTalk

Everybody who takes a shot like that is going to step around, the straight checkside from ten metres out doesn't exist anymore. Davis knew what was going to happen. This will get an apology and harsher treatment in later games but we just have to suck it as usual.

So there were 4 kickouts from GWS last night that had the same result. GWS kicking in from the southern end, Ebo standing on the Eastern wing half way between two GWS players, looking back and forth between them but not committing or calling over help etc.

The first two times they kicked to the GWS player closest to the boundary - Ebo was caught in no-man's-land, tried to get over but was a good second or so late and never impact the contest.

The third time happened exactly the same and I was ready to gouge my eyeballs out.

The fourth time it happened (exactly the same) I just sat back and laughed.
Shhh he’s been up late at night bottling wine.

There were 3 moments that really stand out to me from the game, that if at least 2 of them went the other way, we probably win.

1: Ollie’s Wines having a player completely open 20m away in the forward 50 in the first quarter. No pressure at all on him and he completely shanks the kick and they score an easy goal on the turnover, which was the start of their 5 in a row and killed the early momentum we had.

2: Dougal Howard losing a 1on1 with their misfielder Coniglio in the goal square. That is completely inexcusable, he was pushed off like a feather. He should be ashamed of himself with that effort.

3: Wingard’s touched behind that was a blatant 50m penalty. We were flying and that would have put us 3 points down. Instead it again crushed the momentum we had.

That was the worst. Should have been a Sam Gray on Harry Taylor like affair for us, instead Coniglio takes the easiest of "contested" marks with Howard never looking close to impacting the contest against a guy half his size.

I'd take a pick between 25-35 for Pittard any day of the week. We have ready made replacements in Bonner and Lienert, not to mention Hartlett and hopefully Broady back next year as well. Take what you can for him. He is surplus to requirements. Package that pick and maybe the Saints pick to get another inside the top 20 and it's a win.
Only problem, Pittard is contracted until end 2020 b it.

One of the many things I don't understand about AFL umpiring is that if a player* throws there arms back when they are held without the ball that this negates the HTM free kick. :huh:

There is a very old joke about a farmer who umpired Yorkshire village cricket games and the loudest "HOWZAT!" when there was a totally plumb lbw would not get anything, so the next ball was pitched outside leg, swinging down leg and when it hit the pad the bowler politely asked "How is that?" to be met with a raised finger.

he still might have enough … if we use him with our 1st round pick to get a higher 1st round pick

for example

currently we have pick 14 = 1161 pts and if we try to get the saints pick 4 worth 2034pts then all we need is another 873 points (which equals to a pick 2nd round pick say 21) if Pittard is worth a mid 2nd round pick that is around pick 27 which is 703 points

so we could try and trade our 1st round pick + Pittard to try and get the saints 1st round pick hoping that the saints agree to that (after the year they have had)

it would be worth a shot ...
No one is taking our combined 1st and Pittard for a higher 1st. Whilst I like the points system in general (and in fact would expand it so clubs just get points based on ladder position, not picks per se), it encourages Playstation trade proposals that no sane list manager would do.

Realistically it's a pick 30-40 or combine with our 2nd (likely to be around 30 - 32 given our performance and any compensation picks) to get a 20-25 pick.

And I think we should not focus on the Wingard touch - we get critical umpiring decisions against us every week, and we need to learn to deal with them. Either that, or add $4.50 to the football dept budget every week for secret coffee talks.

The game was lost well and truly at selection and in Q1. Even if Wingard scores, we lose - GWS were scoring on almost every entry and winning 80% of Q4 stoppages. They would have done enough, as they did.

What I don't understand is why we aim to be the leading stoppage team, but don't set up to win them.

this is so spot on

THE PRETENDERS

Port Adelaide has lost two in a row after winning five on the trot. The Power is the highest pressure team in the AFL but, in doing that, it stifles their obvious talent. Is Ken Hinkley too defensive? After last night’s loss their attack is ranked 12th for scoring, which is amazing considering the talent. They are scoring 82 points a match — last year they averaged 98. They have lost 2½ goals with the addition of Jack Watts, Tom Rockliff and Steven Motlop and average the most stoppages in the AFL. Less defence and more offence might be the key coming home.

-Robbo
When even the town drunk can see the issues. :rolleyes:

this is so spot on

THE PRETENDERS

-Robbo

Robbo for Head Coach lol.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back