Review Round 18 vs Hawthorn @ Adelaide Oval (20/9/20 - 1:05pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

Think we're all entitled to be bitter after that game, but yes, need to keep the whole picture in mind.

Hopefully the Coaches learn a lot from the season too, mostly playing the same guys every game. Even if they are ticking all the boxes in training, we can clearly see fatigue during actual games. Must learn to rotate some in and out.

True but who do we rotate them with?
Coaches must think the others aren’t up to it yet. They’re either kids or spuds or injured.
We weren’t missing many from our best 22 today - maybe Buddas and Rowell.
Difficult balance when you’re also trying to improve team coordination / experience playing together.

Brisbane, Giants and to a lesser extent the Cats games were also hard to watch.
Yes Brisbane. The Cats and Giants I didnt feel was that bad. Prob effort was off in the giants, but the cats was a good fight and wasn't a blowout and given their experience and Rowell went down. I thought they did well.

People on here are more worried about higher draft picks than winning games.. time to move on from top 5 picks every year
At this point I'd use any high picks for experienced players. There is enough youth. Time to put more experience around them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People on here are more worried about higher draft picks than winning games.. time to move on from top 5 picks every year

I think you missed the point of my post. Our game is done, and it was rubbish, can’t change that now. If Sydney knock over Geelong we get a better pick. A silver lining after the fact.

The lack of player rotations was beyond belief.
It is pretty concerning for me.
It's like the coaching group has decided which players will make us a finals team in 3-4 years time instead of playing people to actually find out.
Never know what you might find!

Should have rested a couple, particularly in the back half to give others a run.

Mate this loss is totally unacceptable, no ifs buts or maybes. Glass half full is for minions not winners
Hawthorn is a bad team and we should have beaten them. But so should Richmond and Brisbane earlier in the year. It’s not even a glass half full attitude, it’s just a fact of the game that some weeks, the players don’t perform. That’s sport.

The effort was terrible, yes. But I’d be much happier watching the game today than 75% of our matches last season.

Well another season wraps up and it started brightly, staggered a little in the middle and fell right off the rails over the past 4 weeks or so. Nothing new to say - badly need an intercepting defender and an accumulator across HB. Obviously need to be big bodies and 150+ gamers to bolster all the young kids. Assuming Harbrow will retire or just hang around as a mentor BUT not on field. Hanley has also gone so both need replacing. I've said this before so no surprise but if Touk Miller has a long time role with the club, it's as a lock down defender on the Eddie Betts of the world. He's got a heart that bleeds for the Suns but he should not be counted as a midfielder. Swallow needs to be moved on to a HF flank with short bursts in the middle. Greenwood, Rowell, Anderson and one more big bodied accumulator with AFL experience MUST be found for 2021. Brad Crouch? Maybe, as we know he can get the pill but there are others out there and our recruiting people need to really look for the best. Clayton Oliver or Ollie Wines - yes please.
I reckon we're OK up forward but just haven't clarified who are the best of all those we have available. Sexton, probably although he's not without faults. Ainsworth - not sure if Benny will be the boy and could be trade bait. Looks like Wright and maybe Brodie are on the for sale list but some really hard decisions need to be made re delistings and trades. The one thing we don't need is more young inexperienced talent - we will be getting the two Academy kids and that should be enough. Trade our high picks for those experienced players or types mentioned above. Feeling disappointed at the way we finished but we have improved no doubt - it's just that we are still way off being a consistent and worthy challenger for top 8. On a serious side if we don't see improvement next year, watch the machinations regarding the young cream as their contracts come up for discussion. No kid wants to play forever in a losing team and Rowell, Anderson, Lukosius, Rankine, Ballard, King etc will be no different. Some very hard decisions need to be made and it will be interesting on Monday to see the first phase of the 'cull'.

Well another season wraps up and it started brightly, staggered a little in the middle and fell right off the rails over the past 4 weeks or so. Nothing new to say - badly need an intercepting defender and an accumulator across HB. Obviously need to be big bodies and 150+ gamers to bolster all the young kids. Assuming Harbrow will retire or just hang around as a mentor BUT not on field. Hanley has also gone so both need replacing. I've said this before so no surprise but if Touk Miller has a long time role with the club, it's as a lock down defender on the Eddie Betts of the world. He's got a heart that bleeds for the Suns but he should not be counted as a midfielder. Swallow needs to be moved on to a HF flank with short bursts in the middle. Greenwood, Rowell, Anderson and one more big bodied accumulator with AFL experience MUST be found for 2021. Brad Crouch? Maybe, as we know he can get the pill but there are others out there and our recruiting people need to really look for the best. Clayton Oliver or Ollie Wines - yes please.
I reckon we're OK up forward but just haven't clarified who are the best of all those we have available. Sexton, probably although he's not without faults. Ainsworth - not sure if Benny will be the boy and could be trade bait. Looks like Wright and maybe Brodie are on the for sale list but some really hard decisions need to be made re delistings and trades. The one thing we don't need is more young inexperienced talent - we will be getting the two Academy kids and that should be enough. Trade our high picks for those experienced players or types mentioned above. Feeling disappointed at the way we finished but we have improved no doubt - it's just that we are still way off being a consistent and worthy challenger for top 8. On a serious side if we don't see improvement next year, watch the machinations regarding the young cream as their contracts come up for discussion. No kid wants to play forever in a losing team and Rowell, Anderson, Lukosius, Rankine, Ballard, King etc will be no different. Some very hard decisions need to be made and it will be interesting on Monday to see the first phase of the 'cull'.
Disagree with a lot of this but mostly Miller. He has been incredible this year and even when the game was long over he was doing everything he could for the team. He's he for the long haul.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back