Review Round 18 vs Western Bulldogs @ Metricon Stadium (17.07.2021 @ 4:35pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

sharp should get the nom this week, they rarely give it to second gamers. but it is the number 1 pick. doesn't really matter anyway, sharp played a great game and i can't wait to see him develop over the years to come.

so proud of our efforts tonight! hopefully we carry our form into next week against the dees! head held high tonight.
Agreed sharp should get the nom!

I don't understand the people saying the umpiring was one way against us tonight. It was pretty poor standard all game, but from the eyes of an umpire, I really thought we got more lucky decision than the Doggies. Especially in decisions that ended up in goals.

People need a reality check I think. Take off the red and gold glasses and you'll see the missed free kicks both ways. It embarrassing and gives our fan base a bad name

I don't understand the people saying the umpiring was one way against us tonight. It was pretty poor standard all game, but from the eyes of an umpire, I really thought we got more lucky decision than the Doggies. Especially in decisions that ended up in goals.

People need a reality check I think. Take off the red and gold glasses and you'll see the missed free kicks both ways. It embarrassing and gives our fan base a bad name

At the game it’s hard to tell. But Dogs got a couple of direct goals from free kicks (Burgess holding the ball, for example, seemed very rough and gave a goal) while Suns fans would be spewing over the goal review not rewarding a goal. Bont can dispose of the ball however he likes, also. Certainly not the reason we lost, but any fan sees moments that stand out with the umps. Dogs also missed several calls, I’m sure—could hear their boos as much as our own. Overall it was a fun game with moments of frustration, at the players and the umpires (which sounds like a normal game of footy to me).

At the game it’s hard to tell. But Dogs got a couple of direct goals from free kicks (Burgess holding the ball, for example, seemed very rough and gave a goal) while Suns fans would be spewing over the goal review not rewarding a goal. Bont can dispose of the ball however he likes, also. Certainly not the reason we lost, but any fan sees moments that stand out with the umps. Dogs also missed several calls, I’m sure—could hear their boos as much as our own. Overall it was a fun game with moments of frustration, at the players and the umpires (which sounds like a normal game of footy to me).

Happy to explain the process and break it down in a way that might make sense, but there is 100% nothing wrong with that decision regarding goal review!

Very happy with our effort tonight, a fumble here, a completed tackle there (a goal paid as it should have been) and we could have taken the game. 4 more scoring shots as well. Team has improved dramatically since just a few weeks ago.

Happy to explain the process and break it down in a way that might make sense, but there is 100% nothing wrong with that decision regarding goal review!

I think understand how the system works, but you can elaborate if you want as I’m happy to be educated. However, it was, in my view, a goal, but the umpire clearly disagreed. The review did what it was supposed to—it couldn’t over rule the umpire’s decision (though it was conclusive enough for me :)). Still, as I said, Suns fans would be upset over the call overall.

Also, I was at the game, so didn’t get any commentary or other perspectives on the shot beyond what we could see played back on the big screen.

Break it down for us
Because for those of us that watch finger nails getting clipped 45m out and goals overturned on the basis of it we're a little confused as to why when no angle showed the ball anywhere near the defenders hand it is considered too hard to overturn the goal umpires soft call

Didn’t have the chance to watch.
Glad to see we took it to the dogs.
Happy to see Ainsworth and sharp seemingly playing well.

Enjoyed seeing us push a top team. Enjoyed it even more because no music was played after goals and our fans started to be louder and more excited.
Well done Suns Vic army for showing the club how footy atmosphere should be. Still a way to go at Metricon at bringing fans to the games, and hearing their voice, but a big improvement tonight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope you don't mind me coming in here but I agree the umpiring has been very average this year.

Break it down for us
Because for those of us that watch finger nails getting clipped 45m out and goals overturned on the basis of it we're a little confused as to why when no angle showed the ball anywhere near the defenders hand it is considered too hard to overturn the goal umpires soft call
The whole system is flawed when the ump has to make a “call” to be verified. There’s no way they could know whether it was touched or not so they’re just guessing on a 50/50 to send it upstairs

should be like cricket where they can say “buggered if I know” go to the 3rd ump, if it’s inconclusive, benefit of the doubt goes to the batsman (or kicker in our case)

To add insult to injury the ball goes down the other end that idiot faker Weightman flies through the air like he’s been launched into space and draws a free
All power to him but it just illustrates that while football has improved in just about every area over the past 20 years umpiring hasn’t despite there being more of them

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The whole system is flawed when the ump has to make a “call” to be verified. There’s no way they could know whether it was touched or not so they’re just guessing on a 50/50 to send it upstairs

should be like cricket where they can say “buggered if I know” go to the 3rd ump, if it’s inconclusive, benefit of the doubt goes to the batsman (or kicker in our case)
Completely agree. There’s no need for a ‘soft call’ if they’re going upstairs.

Super proud of the boys after that effort. We could have so easily gone into our shell and just played safe to minimise the losing margin but instead we were bold and really tried to win the game all the way up until the final siren. It was so exciting to see us take it up to 2nd place on the ladder and clearly we're on the right track after the last three performances. Let's keep it going against the Dees next week!

Break it down for us

Simple fact is there is no clear footage to show the ball didn't hit the hand. That is not the umpires fault.

And even if they went upstairs with 'no idea' it would have been a behind anyway. In an instance where there is less than 100% belief from the boundary/goal umpire the instruction is to give the lesser score.

You can hate the system all you want, but the umpires followed procedure perfectly in this case.

Thought we were right in that game except for that patch in the second quarter. Our mids tried their best to compete, but so hard to win clearances and get any sort of midfield ascendancy when our guys are forced on the back foot so much.

We have some guys in really good form right now. Ainsworth is working really hard up the ground and getting involved, Miller obviously and even Sexton is kicking goals again. It's a shame we couldn't get over the line even with those guys firing. King is starting to look really tired - no doubt a result of being the main man and getting battered around all year on oppo key defenders.

Really missed Ellis. I thought Atkins showed more than he previously has, but clearly still getting used to AFL speed again. Showed flashes.

The development of Sharp and Flanders is really, really encouraging.

Fiorini had more of an impact yesterday, but still not as much as you'd like for someone with his numbers. As he gets more game time though, hopefully that will keep trending up.

I've said it before, but if we are going to be relying on Graham in such influential positions, we're going to lose those contests more often than not. He's such a defensive player that has poor-average skills. He has no confidence to kick the ball to someone unless his teammate is completely free. Because of this we'll try to switch the ball, he'll get it and just stop the entire play. Everything folds in and he is forced to just kick wide (sometimes a kick he will then miss). Really frustrating. I know he's in as a second ruck and Dew's hand was forced, but we really need to try something else. I know Smith as main ruck with Burgess as second ruck also isn't ideal, so not sure what we can try there. Just really need Sammy Day back. Hopefully his foot is good to go sooner rather than later.

Overall, really good. Guys have confidence and you can tell. Hopefully this game doesn't rattle them and they keep playing on top of the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back