Preview Round 19 – Port Adelaide vs GWS Giants, Saturday 27th July, Adelaide Oval, 7.40pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS

ROUND 19

Port Adelaide v GIANTS
Saturday, July 27 at 7:40pm
Adelaide Oval

FB: Heath Shaw, Phil Davis, Adam Tomlinson
HB: Lachie Whitfield, Nick Haynes, Sam Taylor
C: Zac Williams, Sam Reid, Adam Kennedy
HF: Jackson Hately, Jeremy Cameron, Daniel Lloyd
FF: Brent Daniels, Harry Himmelberg, Bobby Hill

Ruck: Shane Mumford, Toby Greene, Tim Taranto

Interchange: Harry Perryman, Jacob Hopper, Jeremy Finlayson, Dawson Simpson

Emergencies: Jye Caldwell, Aiden Bonar, Lachie Keeffe, Jake Stein

In: Davis, Kennedy, Hately
Out: Jake Stein (ommitted), Lachie Keeffe (omitted), Brett Deledio (managed)

I think it's fair we're going with two rucks against Ryder/Lycett. Don't think it's something we can persist with for the remainder of the season though.

Not a lot going right over at Port Adeliade atm but as we ourselves should know, things can turn around over the space of a week.

Someone want to have a chat with Ryder to be just a bit off his game.

Seriously is this good or bad ins and outs for us?

Surprised Dixon dropped.

It’s good for you, Sutcliffe, though a good guy, is not AFL standard. Hinkley is clueless and Ryder is a statue as a full forward.
You should win by 40+.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I wasn't sure what Leon would do with the ruck situation. While it "worked" against Collingwood, it's not like our pair were dominant over Grundy, and we need to be cautious of just keeping the same approach in different circumstances. However, with Ryder being added to Port's team, I am less concerned about that aspect now. Still don't think we'll win the ruck battle, but we've overcome that before.

I am surprised that Kennedy is back in so quickly, and after his health scare. I love Kenners, but just surprised with his quick return, and thought that Stein did quite well. I wouldn't have thought the size was an issue given that Stein seems able to deal with both tall and medium-sized opponents.

Lids has been pretty solid this year, so not unhappy that we rest him to keep him in tip top shape - as long as that's all it is. Hately getting a game back in his home town I think is good; and hopefully he's motivated to make the most of it. As I said elsewhere, I'm keen to see Jye Caldwell get a run - but absolutely we need to be sure that his body is ready to go; so waiting a little longer seems prudent.

Davis for Keeffe is obvious- only thing is, can we keep Toby as skipper?

I don't expect we'll win by 40+, but any win away from home and with the current ladder situation is a must for us.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Great to see Hately come back in and hopefully he can play well in front of a lot of family and friends, very surprised to see Kennedy back in but I think it just means there was nothing in the issue from the weekend and I agree that Stein was unlucky but it maybe that they did not see a match up for him in this game
I cant see the tall forwards having the same impact v Port with a well organised backline although a little undersized they have several medium sized options to play on HH, TOJ and Cameron so it will be interesting to see how they go and they do have the option to swing Howard or Westhoff back. I am just hoping to see Whitfield, Williams, Greene and Cameron to have a similar impact to the Pies game and that will go some way to the win

KevDawg

EFC & GWS
Jun 6, 2015
Now Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Essendon, GWS & Giants Womens
Ridiculous.

Considering some of the wins we have had over the years, to say this is the one that "gave us a soul" is garbage.

Beating Cats away after losing our captain would rate higher and that's just this year.
There are many many more (away in Adelaide last year springs to mind).
I’d rate that win where we had to send two injured players back out because we already had four injured on the bench.
We’ve had many many gutsy wins.
Thanks though.

KevDawg

EFC & GWS
Jun 6, 2015
Now Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams

Someone want to have a chat with Ryder to be just a bit off his game.

Seriously is this good or bad ins and outs for us?

Surprised Dixon dropped.

Glad they’ve determined Kennedy is okay but concerned they’re throwing him straight into a game.

I’d rate that win where we had to send two injured players back out because we already had four injured on the bench.
We’ve had many many gutsy wins.
Thanks though.
That was against Carlton though...

KevDawg

EFC & GWS
Jun 6, 2015
Now Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Disturbing stats.