Preview Round 19, 2016 - Brisbane Lions Vs Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Martin monstered Port last time and set a record for taps to adv this year (pretty sure). Didn't help the end result. I think he's even better when he's up against the big boys.

Martin dominated the ruck contest, yet Port had nearly 20 more clearances.

This season, Port average the least hit outs per game while at the same time being a top 4 clearance side. I have a feeling this game won't be won and lost based on hit out stats.

Main thing for me is that they dont have Dixon, he killed us last time, nor Shultz now. Who is their KF?
John 'the future' :rolleyes: Butcher. He's played ok for our Magpies team but his struggles at AFL level are well known
as is his 'kicking' which while better is still unreliable. We can't make finals (realistically) so our board were hoping
to see more untried players. Many of us would not be surprised if you guys beat us.
Confidence and morale down here is not high. Many of us questioning if Hinkley has what it takes to get us playing
better consistently.

John 'the future' :rolleyes: Butcher. He's played ok for our Magpies team but his struggles at AFL level are well known
as is his 'kicking' which while better is still unreliable. We can't make finals (realistically) so our board were hoping
to see more untried players. Many of us would not be surprised if you guys beat us.
Confidence and morale down here is not high. Many of us questioning if Hinkley has what it takes to get us playing
better consistently.
Not as catchy as 'The Package'. There's your problem, right there.

Great to see Michael Close named among the inclusions. I still think he is going to be a gun.
Me too. I must admit I'm a bit worried though, with our KPF talent, if this is a last look before end of season. Will they make a decision on this (and others over the next month)performance? Hope he has a good one.

We were always a long shot to emerge victorious in this one but with 5 changes and the losses of Martin, Gardiner and Bewick I'd say any chance of a win has just about flown out the window. Looking forward to seeing what Archie and Skinner can produce. Good to see Closey back in the seniors after his ACL and hopefully Lewy Taylor can return to some form. I'm a big fan of NRobbo as well so hopefully he puts in a good performance.

GO LIONS!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Close for Schache makes perfect sense. Schache needs a rest. Robertson for William should be an upgrade. William should take a bit of confidence out of his games and know what he needs to work on. Martin and Gardiner I'm assuming is because of niggles or injuries? If they are not 100% I think it's good sense to rest them.

Fresh legs against multiple changes is a net positive in my mind this week.

There was something going on with Martin before the start of last week's game (not that it appeared to hinder him too much).
My approach to selections is that there can always be a reason we don't know for any omission. Some players in to have a look at before the off season, and probably the best game to do that.

Hip IIRC.

Leppa rightly values the commitment to the contest and the willingness to chase of Hammer. Gifted your kidding. Sure he made a few mistakes but he's working his butt off to retain his spot.I'm just happy Lester has been given more time in the 2's. to learn the value of the jumper.

Stoked to see more young blokes getting a game (what's is it now, 8 debutants now this season?). But Leppa is not trying to win this game.

It was interesting to hear his post-match last week where he said he feels like a first year coach, because all he did in years 1 and 2 was pare back the list. I'm not sure we've bottomed out yet.

Best of luck to Skinner and Archie, but especially to NRobbo. Take your chances boys.

Merrett, Hammelman, Skinner and Andrews looks way too tall against a small Port forward line. If I were Ken Hinkley I'd just play Wingard and Gray deep. Pretty worried about what those two will do to us on Saturday. We don't have anything close to a good match up for either of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back