Review Round 19, 2017 - West Coast vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against West Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do people want Keays dropped? Yeesh, that would send entirely the wrong message.
We lost the contested possession count 152-135. 8 eagles had 10+ contested vs only 3 for us. Keays had 12.
So yeah let's drop him, this contested possession rubbish is overrated.
I like keayes but his issue is not effort, or contested ball it's decision making and ball use. Things that you can get good practice at in NEAFL racking up big numbers.

When there's a minimum if 5 coming back in, you're just in the gun if you have a bad game.

He's currently just in / out of our best 22 and has been in and out a bit all year. Still very bullish about him next year and beyond but he has plenty to work on to cement himself in the team

First 21 are obvious...
FB: Andrews, Walker, McStay
HB: Mayes, Rich, Witherden
C: Alison, DBeams, Berry
HF: Taylor, McCluggage, Bastinac
FF: Hipwood, Skinner, Schache
Foll: Martin, Rockliff, Zorko
Int: Cox, Robertson, Lester

Out: Close, Mathieson, Barrett, Keyes, Gardiner
In: Zorko, McStay, Hipwood, McCluggage, Berry

Last player can be one of....Jansen/CBeams/Harwood/Paparone/Cutler/Bewick.
I'd have though we'd have more to assess Jansen on. He did some good things I think, but rarely involved. Maybe 1 more game?
Everyone knows I'd like Claye to play. He is consistently in the best in the NEAFL. His kicking is outstanding. I know he's slow. Anyway apparently he knows he's done so not to worry.
Paparone needs to learn to kick flat. Way too loopy.
Bewick, well, he'll come in and then be dropped again.

So many exciting young forwards and so few positions for them. We are more competitive with less talls but its very tempting to play three. We have found ourselves stacked with young KPF's due largely to the Who Wants To Be The Next J Brown comp we ran from about 2012.

Really feel Close deserves a decent run at it. He is the most mature of our forwards and has improved his marking considerably. Unfortunately for him we have to continue to play Schache and work him into form (was prettt good yesterday) and young Skinner showed a bit on debut as well. I would be very suprised if Close is still at the club next year. I hooe for his sake its because another club come knocking.

The umpire that didn't call the Cox tackle really needs to be dropped.

There is just no reasoning whatsoever for the umpire not to call HTB unless he was out and out bias.

Seriously one of the worst non-decisions of the year.

No umpire is biased at all. I think he just froze. Definitely a reason to get dropped but there's also another possibility.

The other very likely option is that the umpires didn't know who was in control of the play. You don't call holding the ball as an out of play umpire so neither did because they thought they weren't in control.

Or maybe they though he got a handpass because they were in a s**t position.

No bias though, never ever bias.

No umpire is biased at all. I think he just froze. Definitely a reason to get dropped but there's also another possibility.

The other very likely option is that the umpires didn't know who was in control of the play. You don't call holding the ball as an out of play umpire so neither did because they thought they weren't in control.

Or maybe they though he got a handpass because they were in a s**t position.

No bias though, never ever bias.
Given how easily umpires are swayed by West Coast fans (check the free kick tables if you don't believe me) I'd seriously question that they aren't bias towards West Coast or perhaps it's a boo bias?

I hate bringing it up... for crying out loud that umpiring was so crap, absolutely destroyed us in the 2nd qtr. would we have won? No. But I still can't get over some of the calls and non calls. I was watching with some 1 eyed eagle fans and they even admitted they were getting the rub of the green.
2nd qtr umpiring was not good and set our 1st qtr momentum back

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First 21 are obvious...
FB: Andrews, Walker, McStay
HB: Mayes, Rich, Witherden
C: Alison, DBeams, Berry
HF: Taylor, McCluggage, Bastinac
FF: Hipwood, Skinner, Schache
Foll: Martin, Rockliff, Zorko
Int: Cox, Robertson, Lester

Out: Close, Mathieson, Barrett, Keyes, Gardiner
In: Zorko, McStay, Hipwood, McCluggage, Berry

Last player can be one of....Jansen/CBeams/Harwood/Paparone/Cutler/Bewick.
I'd have though we'd have more to assess Jansen on. He did some good things I think, but rarely involved. Maybe 1 more game?
Everyone knows I'd like Claye to play. He is consistently in the best in the NEAFL. His kicking is outstanding. I know he's slow. Anyway apparently he knows he's done so not to worry.
Paparone needs to learn to kick flat. Way too loopy.
Bewick, well, he'll come in and then be dropped again.
I would be stunned to see Gardner out of this side. He's been good this year and 1 ordinary game wont have him demoted, nor should it. Think there may be some questions asked regarding Rocky's shoulder. He could be the last out if his shoulder is needing some attention. Otherwise the side above looks pretty likely imo.

Always had a soft spot for Close, he started well, as he did in his last senior appearance. Then he disappeared after quarter time, as he did in his last senior appearance. From all reports he's and elite runner which suggests fitness is not a problem. Reluctantly starting to think he just may not make it.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Skinner can also play back No way is Schache going back
Agree. Schache is one of our long term key forwards. He would have to be well down on form to be moved down back. (won't happen this week for sure) Harris is doing a magnificent job taking the key forward every week. He always gives his all, often wins one on ones & his disposal is also very good. (most times) Most likely to see Skinner down back this week.

So many exciting young forwards and so few positions for them. We are more competitive with less talls but its very tempting to play three. We have found ourselves stacked with young KPF's due largely to the Who Wants To Be The Next J Brown comp we ran from about 2012.

Really feel Close deserves a decent run at it. He is the most mature of our forwards and has improved his marking considerably. Unfortunately for him we have to continue to play Schache and work him into form (was prettt good yesterday) and young Skinner showed a bit on debut as well. I would be very suprised if Close is still at the club next year. I hooe for his sake its because another club come knocking.
Why do we have to continue with Schache.
Would rather play the better player not the player that could be better in 2 years.
I thought Close was an asset yesterday Schache is not capable of contested marking with big bodies, too soft .
Not saying he will never be a force in this area but I have my doubts and presently Close gets the nod (in that role) .
Matherson is a waste of time and Gardner put in the same box.
Question marks on Keays and Robbo, just not convinced.
I thought most players played well and agree Rich had one of his best games.

Plenty of that game to get exited about , we moved the ball quite well.
Very impressive games by the debutantes and Cox running the ball out and bouncing, we so need this player .
Fagan has a big job on his hands , it could take another year to see if players that have been given leniency with the youth factor, are actually AFL level players that are going to improve the team.
Just need to assess players on their merits not how young they are or where they fell in the draft.

Can see Schache losing a bit of puppy fat over the coming preseason and getting more mobile.
The puppy fat isn't a concern for me it is the lack of putting on any size from last season to this. There should be a better focus on this over this pre-season and I am very aware that you don't want to overload them this early on in their career but a couple of extra kg's with a focus on core strength, glute/quad/ and also across the shoulders. If he comes back next season without doing this then I am going to become a little bit concerned. I am not saying that he won't make it as a top flight KPF but he is a KPP and this should be a focus of his. Doing it over the next few seasons means that he should be able to keep his aerobic capacity up.

Like what schache offers us in the future but would perfer him to learn the right way to play his roll in the 2's ie crash packs, contested marks and one on one positioning. Would hate it if we ruined him by playing him against seasoned pros year in year out in the seniors as melbourne did to jack watts. Watts is a shadow of the talent that was promised in his junior years and it took ages for melbourne to see the shadow. We can't allow him senior games while he doesn't compete in contests. Love schache. Love what he will be, but he needs to learn how to compete in the air and on the ground. He won't have the luxury of uncontested marks in the forward 50, especially when start making finals.

The puppy fat isn't a concern for me it is the lack of putting on any size from last season to this. There should be a better focus on this over this pre-season and I am very aware that you don't want to overload them this early on in their career but a couple of extra kg's with a focus on core strength, glute/quad/ and also across the shoulders. If he comes back next season without doing this then I am going to become a little bit concerned. I am not saying that he won't make it as a top flight KPF but he is a KPP and this should be a focus of his. Doing it over the next few seasons means that he should be able to keep his aerobic capacity up.

Schache was praised for his excellent condition in pre-season and was apparently stronger. I believe the key for him isn't putting on weight but continuing to gain strength.

Back