Autopsy Round 19, 2018: GWS v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed and only the club know that so we have to trust the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We don't have to trust sh*t. They have shown us NOTHING, ABSOLUTELY **NG NOTHING that tells us we can trust them. Based on the history of this iteration of the saints all that you can trust is that they will screw up

My observations from yesterdays game against a team now placed 4th on the ladder.

We won the contested possession count.

We won the inside 50's 60 to 48.

We had the same number of scoring shots for 5 less goals.

So what does that mean?

We were very competitive but we did not kick to the advantage of our forwards who did not lead enough and did not kick straight enough when they got the ball.

Not all doom and gloom today.
Inside 50s don't mean much when they are bombed in to no advantage - big difference between an informed investment and lotto.

If I was an opposition coach.
I'd be happy of any of Geary, Savage, Dunstan, Gilbert and Newnes got the ball anywhere behind CHF in a live situation and Weller anywhere on he ground at all, it wouldn't matter how many touches any of them got as there poor disposal will guarantee turnover and we'll get the ball back.
I'd make sure there was plenty of work going into Ross, Gresham, Billings, Sinclair and Steven.

If I was an opposition coach I'd be happy for the Saints to get as much contested ball as they can. The short disposal and lack of discipline means too often the ball starts and ends up in the hands of the wrong player in the wrong role.

Using Hawthorn as an example, Sam Mitchell getting the clearance and disposing with as much length as possible backward and sideways to Hodge/Burgoyne to distribute who spots up Smith or Birchall as finishing runners, they have designated contested ball players, disposers who set up and finishing runners and kickers.

The Saints don't, they use everybody in the role that the congestion allows, if that means Billings and Sinclair as inside ball getters, disposing too short to Ross and Steven distributors with Dunstan and Geary as outside finishers, the Saints will do that and be happy regardless of outcome.

At every stoppage there is an opportunity to structure two mids for the contest and two more at distance of greater than three to ten meters with the best runners and disposers of the ball another 10 to 25 meters away. Sinclair and Billings week in and week out should have low tackle, low contested and low handball numbers. If the contested players in Dunstan and Armitage are too slow or too unfit to get to the contest don't play them, use Steele as an inside player not as a stopper. If we have to play Ross and Steven as inside players then that's fine, their short disposal is much better than their long disposal, they are better suited to inside and distributor roles than finishing/running roles.

No one at the Saints regularly holds on to the ball to draw the player and the tackle, freeing up a team mate, game after game, someone with little pressure on them gives disposal to a team mate under more pressure that is static.

I'm of the opinion that we have the talent but use it so very poorly, it's amazing that we win any game or are competitive for any length of time.

If I was an opposition coach.
I'd be happy of any of Geary, Savage, Dunstan, Gilbert and Newnes got the ball anywhere behind CHF in a live situation and Weller anywhere on he ground at all, it wouldn't matter how many touches any of them got as there poor disposal will guarantee turnover and we'll get the ball back.
I'd make sure there was plenty of work going into Ross, Gresham, Billings, Sinclair and Steven.

If I was an opposition coach I'd be happy for the Saints to get as much contested ball as they can. The short disposal and lack of discipline means too often the ball starts and ends up in the hands of the wrong player in the wrong role.

Using Hawthorn as an example, Sam Mitchell getting the clearance and disposing with as much length as possible backward and sideways to Hodge/Burgoyne to distribute who spots up Smith or Birchall as finishing runners, they have designated contested ball players, disposers who set up and finishing runners and kickers.

The Saints don't, they use everybody in the role that the congestion allows, if that means Billings and Sinclair as inside ball getters, disposing too short to Ross and Steven distributors with Dunstan and Geary as outside finishers, the Saints will do that and be happy regardless of outcome.

At every stoppage there is an opportunity to structure two mids for the contest and two more at distance of greater than three to ten meters with the best runners and disposers of the ball another 10 to 25 meters away. Sinclair and Billings week in and week out should have low tackle, low contested and low handball numbers. If the contested players in Dunstan and Armitage are too slow or too unfit to get to the contest don't play them, use Steele as an inside player not as a stopper. If we have to play Ross and Steven as inside players then that's fine, their short disposal is much better than their long disposal, they are better suited to inside and distributor roles than finishing/running roles.

No one at the Saints regularly holds on to the ball to draw the player and the tackle, freeing up a team mate, game after game, someone with little pressure on them gives disposal to a team mate under more pressure that is static.

I'm of the opinion that we have the talent but use it so very poorly, it's amazing that we win any game or are competitive for any length of time.

Brilliant post

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was happy with the effort during the game . We were all over them for the first half and then fought back when they looked to be getting away in the third but their better skill level told in the end. We didn’t take advantage of our dominance in the first half which was a shame .
I wouldn’t be too upset about Acres game , it was just one of those days for him when it all went wrong , it happens to even the best players . I expect he will bounce back next week .
I thought now it’s time we put a line through names like Gilbert, Weller and Brown as I can’t see the point of playing them any more . Newnes is also on shaking ground as he just doesn’t do enough .
Geary’s disposal is shocking , he shouldn’t be the loose player in defence ever.
Positives
Lonie has come good in his last two games . If he can continue like this then sign him up for next year .
Hopefully we will get Robbo back next year if all is ok with his heart . I think people haven’t remembered how important he is to our team .
Same for Bruce .
Our young players like Battle , Phillips , Clark , Rice , Coffield, Austin , Long , Marshall will all improve from their experience this season which will help us going forward .

That’s my view of our team at the moment.

Go Saints

Trying to recruit a new whipping boy?
I was disappointed when we didn't go after Jack Watts last year. He was perfect for the role of "whipping boy". It's an important role and we've had some champions in this category. Think Steven Newport, Raph Clarke, Aaron Fiora, Gilbo and now Billings. Of all of them, JB is clearly the most talented and therefore the most frustrating. Leave the boy alone, he's quietly building a career as TBWBOAT.

The scapegoat comes to us from ancient Jewish culture. Once a month, villagers would cast out a goat, throwing stones at it, spitting, cursing and expunging their guilt onto it. Perhaps we could introduce a similar ritual before home games. Parade a former or recently retired whipping boy and hurl all our frustrations at him. Then we could concentrate on supporting the team, having cast out our own footballing demons. The list above is a good starting point. There is a plethora of candidates from the 80's . Who is the GWBOAT?

Last edited:
A lot of talk about our mids this year but shouldn’t we also be looking at our backline ? Only the Bulldogs and Carlton have had more scores kicked against them than us yet the same guys , Savage , Geary , Brown, Gilbert keep getting a game every week . Thank god Carlisle and Webster have been there most of the time . It’s time guys like White , Rice , Goddard and Austin were just played instead.

Go Saints

I was disappointed when we didn't go after Jack Watts last year. He was perfect for the role of "whipping boy". It's an important role and we've had some champions in this category. Think Steven Newport, Raph Clarke, Aaron Fiora, Gilbo and now Billings. Of all of them, JB is clearly the most talented and therefore the most frustrating. Leave the boy alone, he's quietly building a career as TBWBOAT.

The scapegoat comes to us from ancient Jewish culture. Once a month, villagers would cast out a goat, throwing stones at it, spitting, cursing and expunging their guilt onto it. Perhaps we could introduce a similar ritual before home games. Parade a former or recently retire whipping boy and hurl all our frustrations at him. Then we could concentrate on supporting the team, having cast out our own footballing demons. The list above is a good starting point. There is a plethora of candidates from the 80's . Who is the GWBOAT?

Aaron Fiora, Zac Dawson and Raph Clarke could take turns.

Still OOC. If Trout was still calling the shots we’d be all over him. Laverdes mum cooks a mean lamb roast & her mint sauce is exquisite
I could've sworn the trout was Laverde's secret, illegitimate father. He loved that guy to a disturbing extent. Thank goodness we didn't give away pick five for him. Fantasia for Billings, anyone?

What if pick 8 got us some grunt & desire for the contest such as Luke Parker?
We just need JB to become the player we need him to be. We have too many inside mids. We are crying out for some outside players and JB is one of 'em.

I would give it another year, see what he is producing at the end of 2019. Playing him in the right spot would be a start. It's as much the coaches fault as his own.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back