Autopsy Round 19, 2018: GWS v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Ive said it before, and ill say it again. If you want good football analysis then listen to Jason Dunstall properly when he is commentating. One second after I yelled at Ross being a lazy turnover merchant Dunstall brings up that exact point and how its the major issue in his becoming a true elite mid of the competition.

Its very true, Seb Ross has become an incredibly lazy player. Sloppy kicks, doesnt push back off the mark to give himself room, waits FAR too long to find a target and burns leads. It can be all fixed so easily though with a good midfield coach.

I remember Dunstall talking about recruiting a few years back and pretty much said you go out and get the best quality players regardless of what position they play, don't try and recruit for position..or something like that. A team full of well-coached quality players is going to get closer to finals than a middle rung team with one champion CHB

its prob been mentioned already by everyone but heres my thoughts on the game:
Acres - Rusty as hell first game back from long lay off and looked to have perhaps put too much pressure on himself that the added GWS pressure made him even worse with his disposal , i swear to god Richo better not even for one second contimplate dropping him because of that though !!!

Lonie - Playing for his career and he is extracting every last inch of himself at the moment , he has limitations as a player but his work rate and efforts each time he is getting a shot at the seniors is fantastic, he was a joy to watch on Saturday

Gresh - hopefully the Trever Barker Medal curse doesnt get him like it got Ross as he is a certainty to take it home this year its a bit like Jack Steven where you can see he is just a class above the rest but without the support aroundhim its not going to win us many games

Gilbo - thanks for the years of service but the time has come.. we had 13 goals kicked against us and i reckon 10 of them were directly against Gilbo... he has been a warrior for this club so i wont bag him out but maybe just one more farewell game and that will do..

Mav - putrid!!! im usually one to find the positive in our players but i struggle to find one in Mav.. any other club he would have been in the VFL but he still keeps on getting games ... he is consistant ... but its consistantly woeful for the love og God Richo please spare us

Geary - again a warrior for us , cannot fault his guts and determination but if we have games where he is getting 20 plus possesions we know we are in trouble its not his fault but FFS we need to alow gears to just defend not allow him to be our rebounder.

Sav - did he actually play ? non-existant all game

Dunstan - Started off really well but then i reckon ran out of gas by the end of the game he was bearly able to make the contest

Membery - jeepers Tim this season if you kicked straight you would almost be in AA calculations you get to the right spots you beat your opponent you make a shithouse delivery to you look some what capable but then let it down by shanking the kick

Richo - maybe i reading too much into it but on a couple of occasions during the telecast they showed footage of the bench where he and Danny Sexton were sitting and coaching from... on the occasions where they cut to that footage to me it looked like Sexton was doing all the directing on the phone talking to the players pointing to the positions on the field and it looked (to me) that Richo was really just sitting there ... buy into that what you will but i have not been part of the "richo is doing nothing" squad but that game and the footage shown certainly didnt fill me with confidence....

this week it should be :
Out : Gilbert Weller Savage
In : Rice Freeman Webster

But off previous history it will be :
Out: Acres Hickey Lonie
In: Armo Wright Longer

Ive said it before, and ill say it again. If you want good football analysis then listen to Jason Dunstall properly when he is commentating. One second after I yelled at Ross being a lazy turnover merchant Dunstall brings up that exact point and how its the major issue in his becoming a true elite mid of the competition.

Its very true, Seb Ross has become an incredibly lazy player. Sloppy kicks, doesnt push back off the mark to give himself room, waits FAR too long to find a target and burns leads. It can be all fixed so easily though with a good midfield coach.
i gotta agree ... i havent heard much of Dunstall comentating but he was actually quiet good , he was fair and ballanced and gave some good comment even when BJ tried to drag the call into the BT style comentary Dunstall kept it about the game not about him and his past playing carrer ....

Why say anything.
One thing that shots me about BF is the slanging and harrassment that goes on here.

If you disagree with somrone argue the point and have a robust debate

Play the ball not the man.

That's why MG does not post nor does Brian Speaking and to an extent Stav.

They added to the discussion and gave us some bits of good info but they got dragged down by the naysayers.

If you have nothing positive to add then keep it to yourself.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Same would go for you Big Monty. Keep your sermon to yourself!
Don't be quoting my rubbish then!
Joffaboy knows how to handle himself and he didn't seem to disturbed by my

"Harrassment" lol
What's a forum without a bit of banter ffs!

Easily sorted.

Go check out the "Rules for the St Kilda Board - PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING" thread.

Refer to the Banter Clause

Ho ho ho

Easily sorted.

Go check out the "Rules for the St Kilda Board - PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING" thread.

Refer to the Banter Clause

Ho ho ho
The disturbing part is Doc...I actually went and had a look...D'oh
Thinking to myself wtf is he on about? Where's this bloody Banter clause the Doc speaks about?
Then i remembered that you are in fact a Spaceman!....:greenalien:

Probably the worst game I've seen Ross play in a while. Can't help but accumulate disposals but on at least two occasions in the third quarter spurned a bloke running past to kick long for a turnover.

"Harrassment" lol
Hey I'm a big boy and love a bit of fun. Just feel that we should go the ball more rather than the poster that's all.

I do not want to be seen as a nanny and anti a bit of good humoured slap at someone.

I love some of the banter, but some of it just makes me feel sad and a tad disgusted.

But all good and thanks for your post

That was not a go at you at all BigMonty.
Apologies if you thought it was.

Just a general comment on some of the s**t stuff that is posted about the club and its players. I shouldn't read Facebook Saints pages and come here I suppose.

I found your actual post very good, but I reckon my addition to the list was required.

Cheers

Go Saints

Thank Joff was not against you but another poster but all sorted.

I reckon your stuff is on the money.....self admiration society....

Let's hope we start making some clever decisions between now and end of year....cannot afford to get many wrong otherwise will really get angry

"Harrassment" lol

I reported you ya bully ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching this game makes be think that there is plenty to work with if we can get some decent coaches through the door and add some outside class.

Transition moving the ball forward still clearly our biggest issue.

Bigger than the issue than that we can't kick simple goals? We would have had a heap more wins if we hadn't kicked below par in front of goals. Half this season was almost comically bad. We held some kind of poor conversion record at one point.

A good spots psych, a recruiting gun who gets stars not GOPs, an outside running mid, more smaller forwards that convert, clean up disposal, replace old guys like Gilbert who look done and get on top of the injuries. We shoot back up the ladder if the fixture gets easier.

Watching this game makes be think that there is plenty to work with if we can get some decent coaches through the door and add some outside class.

Transition moving the ball forward still clearly our biggest issue.
I have a funny feeling that if we'd had Robbo and J-Webb out there it would have helped greatly with our transition from defence in particular (one of them would presumably have played the role Gears did, for starters) and Gilbo to me looks cooked now, and is really costing us, so having Austin and/or Robbo back in his place would make us better by possibly a couple of goals right off the bat.

Then replace Mav with Long at the other end and get another preseason into Gresh, Battle, Long, Clark, Coffield and Marshall in particular and things could improve in a hurry, especially if our coaching and development and all that are better.

Alright let's talk Acres. I know a lot of people on here love him, me included. I've been a huge advocate for him since before we even drafted him. And naturally with this kind of cultlike following there's a few with an abnormal level of disdain for him and always want to see the worst. Let's just sit back for a second though and actually consider why Blake is so inconsistent.

I don't think anyone on our team has had to endure being played in any more positions than Acres. He's been everything from a deep forward to a pocket to a fwd flank to a back flank to a winget and very, very, very occasionally is he given tthe chance to show why he was drafted at the end of the first round on almost no displayed form in his draft year. He's an inside midfielder through and through. He could be our Paddy Cripps but instead he's toiling away on a flank playing a position he didn't play before being drafted. Of course there are players who don't get to play their preferred position but that's usually because there are better options but what bloody better options do we have than Acres in the middle after Steven? I'd rather Blake than Dunny, Ross (off this season), Armo and most of the other scrubs Richo deems worth mid time. Steele and Gresh are about the only ones that should be competing with Blake for mid time imo but that's obviously not how it is. We've seen how prodigious Gresh has become and even he plays out of position more often than not as someone who played mid his whole junior career.

Finally, lay off his disposal for god's sake there are so, so many worse than him on the team and just to ram the point home I'll list them. Brown, Geary, Gilbert, McKenzie, Hickey, Dunstan, Steven, Lonie, Newnes, Longer, Armo, Battle, Bruce, McCartin, Wright of the ones that play semi regularly and arguably a few more like Savage, Ross when they're as inconsistent as they are. How many of these guys get raked over the coals by the exact same people every week as Acres does? How many people claim that none of the players I listed have any value to the team because of their poor disposal? How many have played out of position 80% of their career?

Lay off the poor kid, have you all got such short memories that you've forgotten how good he was at the start of the year when he saved us from a few beltings along with Carlisle?

its prob been mentioned already by everyone but heres my thoughts on the game:
Acres - Rusty as hell first game back from long lay off and looked to have perhaps put too much pressure on himself that the added GWS pressure made him even worse with his disposal , i swear to god Richo better not even for one second contimplate dropping him because of that though !!!

Lonie - Playing for his career and he is extracting every last inch of himself at the moment , he has limitations as a player but his work rate and efforts each time he is getting a shot at the seniors is fantastic, he was a joy to watch on Saturday

Gresh - hopefully the Trever Barker Medal curse doesnt get him like it got Ross as he is a certainty to take it home this year its a bit like Jack Steven where you can see he is just a class above the rest but without the support aroundhim its not going to win us many games

Gilbo - thanks for the years of service but the time has come.. we had 13 goals kicked against us and i reckon 10 of them were directly against Gilbo... he has been a warrior for this club so i wont bag him out but maybe just one more farewell game and that will do..

Mav - putrid!!! im usually one to find the positive in our players but i struggle to find one in Mav.. any other club he would have been in the VFL but he still keeps on getting games ... he is consistant ... but its consistantly woeful for the love og God Richo please spare us

Geary - again a warrior for us , cannot fault his guts and determination but if we have games where he is getting 20 plus possesions we know we are in trouble its not his fault but FFS we need to alow gears to just defend not allow him to be our rebounder.

Sav - did he actually play ? non-existant all game

Dunstan - Started off really well but then i reckon ran out of gas by the end of the game he was bearly able to make the contest

Membery - jeepers Tim this season if you kicked straight you would almost be in AA calculations you get to the right spots you beat your opponent you make a shithouse delivery to you look some what capable but then let it down by shanking the kick

Richo - maybe i reading too much into it but on a couple of occasions during the telecast they showed footage of the bench where he and Danny Sexton were sitting and coaching from... on the occasions where they cut to that footage to me it looked like Sexton was doing all the directing on the phone talking to the players pointing to the positions on the field and it looked (to me) that Richo was really just sitting there ... buy into that what you will but i have not been part of the "richo is doing nothing" squad but that game and the footage shown certainly didnt fill me with confidence....

this week it should be :
Out : Gilbert Weller Savage
In : Rice Freeman Webster

But off previous history it will be :
Out: Acres Hickey Lonie
In: Armo Wright Longer
Just on richo i was thinking the same thing. Looks like hes put the cue in the rack.

We were just to sllw going fwd today, had we moved it quick like our game v Melb I think Battle and Membrey would of had a day out.
Id written Lonie off but id give him another few games based on todays game to show as much.
Geary disposal is one thing but he hurt us more today going for pack marks as 3rd man up in def50 a couple times instead of going the punch, head has got to be on chopping block.
As someone else mentioned I think, other teams leave geary free on purpose when we get ball in def50 cuz they want us to use him, we fall for it everytime because we are poorly coached, plain and simple.

I remember back in the day, Sydney decided to leave Maxie Hudghton free and force us to play through him. That was the day Lyon stamped his papers, basically never to be seen again. I hated it at the time, as Max was one of our most loved warriors, but this is what ruthless coaches do for success. And Ross is a ruthless MOFO. The fact that Geary, and Newnes and Weller, continue to be picked, is not just a bad selection and strategy approach, it is reflective of the club's priorities these days. They are not ruthless. Roo said as much earlier this year.

I remember back in the day, Sydney decided to leave Maxie Hudghton free and force us to play through him. That was the day Lyon stamped his papers, basically never to be seen again. I hated it at the time, as Max was one of our most loved warriors, but this is what ruthless coaches do for success. And Ross is a ruthless MOFO. The fact that Geary, and Newnes and Weller, continue to be picked, is not just a bad selection and strategy approach, it is reflective of the club's priorities these days. They are not ruthless. Roo said as much earlier this year.

The way i see it , the forwards aren't manning up on the defenders.
In fact all of the forwards would happily leave all of the opposition defenders free.

Was at the game last Sat arvo…...never been to Olympic Park before so it was a bit of an adventure.

For future reference if we are drawn against GWS out there next year ...….here's what I found.

If yr staying inner city near Central station......you can get a train from there....I was lucky that a limited stops train was just leaving....it was about a 20 min ride to Lidcombe…..once there you then go to Platform "0"....Harry Potter anyone?

The train is then about 10 mins to the Olympic Precinct…….which is absolutely enormous....it's like being in another city.

Found where the ground was and also the pre game function.

The pregame function was just to the left of the station.....an upper level beer garden looking staring at the ANZ stadium.....it was surreal sitting there in mild sunny weather looking out at things with fellow Sainters..

About 30 people were there and Prez and his wife arrived and came over and chatted to our table...didn't stay long as had to go to the main function.

The ground itself was very impressive....heaps of food stalls and drink outlets......absolute heaps of space to move around.

I won't go into much of the game as it was discussed well on here.

When we hit 1.5 late in the 1st my alarm bells were ringing loudly...again...….and the rest was history......and we followed script to perfection.

It was so damn frustrating watching us kick our early chances away......I was ready to explode!

A shout out to:

Gresh...magical at times.
Lonie….surprised me....reminded me of 2015.
Hickey......always been in his camp....how bizarre that Longer is now out for the rest of the season.
Steele.....reckon he'll just get better.

A quick word on our usual 3rd 1/4 tease...…..

When we had that run on and had kicked a couple in succession...….we moved the ball thru the middle very nicely only for Geary to butcher the last kick.....on my left....it sounded like someone's plastic beer cup was slammed into the concrete!

Enough said.

Shortly after...….just to my left....Gilbert put in a pea hearted making attempt on the boundary against a GWS player who marked(crowd around went ballistic towards Gilbert)...passed to another GWS player......who kicked a long goal..

Game over.

There was a good turn out of Saints fans....aside from the game.....had a great time in Sydney.

Roll on Sat night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back