Autopsy Round 19, 2018: Hawthorn defeat the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you think the AFL will introduce a rule next year to not allow anyone with the surname of Mitchell to play for Hawthorn?

Highly likely. They'll use the "potential to cause severe injury" (via leather poisoning) excuse they've been shafting us with at the MRP/tribunal for the last few seasons.

Liked
Worple delivery inside 50.
Brand attacking the footy, no holding frees. Has all the tools just lacks confidence.
Tommy JOM Stratton punky great
Celgar tap work follow up
Miles looking good
Defensive setup working hard and getting repeat entries, few go out the back too easy but all about balance, looking pretty solid now

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cegs tap work follow up was excellent. Wouldn't be surprised if he got some coaches votes.

No passengers today although Jars did his best impersonation. As Clarko said, we’ve got a ways to go and lots of work to match the top teams but we are there abouts and that’s all that matters atm.

Pretty sure I’ve got sunstroke and it was great to be amongst so many hawks today - was a great day and looking forward to work tomorrow

Special mentions to Stratts, Hardwick and Ceglar today - they were great. Mitch, Silk, JOM and Shiels - midfield building nicely

Is it coincidental that Frawley and Stratton look so much more comfortable with another tall down back? That’s the most important thing brand brings to the table imo and was good to see he took the game on more today.
Burgoyne 20 possies 1.1 from just 60% game time!!
We are so much better when you add Burgoyne, an in form Shiels, Worpel and O’Meara to give Mitchell a proper chop out in the guts! No changes this week, thought O’Rourke was getting his hands on the ball plenty and when he mishandled it, he was quick to get down on his haunches to flick the balll out to teammates , lot to work with, just needs to grow more confident.

Bang on the money it's all about structure and wether that player can either make an impact or help out free up other players through rotation like adding worpel and jor to stop heavily relying on Mitch and omera, adding schoes to help rough, miles and brand to help out stratts and Frawley. These sutale moves that happened over the past few weeks have enabled this team to gel better because clarko is basically saying it's not up to individuals to help us win it's has to be a TEAM effort. So happy that clarko had the balls to give schoes, worpel jor miles and co to prove themselves that they can play top level if they believe in themselves

Last edited:
The criticism of O'Rourke is shortsighted and not justified. This is a bloke who has just played his third game in 2 years due to injury. Just 'cos he went number 2 in a draft doesn't mean he's going to come in and dominate.

His issue is confidence. Firstly, confidence in his body. Then confidence in his ability. Then confidence from his team mates. If he can stand up for the rest of the season and get 15-20 possessions a game, then he's worth keeping.

It's a similar situation to JOM. Whilst JOR is not JOM class, people within the AFL community thought just because JOM was playing he'd tear the comp up. This year is a confidence year for him, and we're seeing the results of this now. Next year? If he stays fit he will be in the top 5 mids in the game. With TOM, we'll have 2 of the top 5 mids... reminds me of a time just past.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm gobsmacked that Bruester is third on the Coleman, so far into the season. Ahead of Buddy, Jack, Hogan etc.

Absolutely STUNNING effort.

Breust played for the Sydney Swans NEAFL team in 2008 and won a Premiership that year and did in fact train with the Swans in the lead-up to the rookie draft but was told by them he was too small and slow for AFL. Fast forward about 350 goals later he's won three Premierships.

Effectively Sydney have given up in a way Breust (overlooked in the draft), Spangher (trade) and Simpkin (listed by the Swans in 05-06 seasons) who have a combined five Premierships between them. Then there's that 6th best midfielder they also happened to lose. I can't remember his name. :D

Just a couple of things that have so far been overlooked on here.
Ipmey - sure he was far from polished yesterday, yep he fumbled at times and slipped at others but looking on the upside his running in the first half got me thinking that he is one preseason away from being the finished article that we are after. Look like an early version of Brad Hill yesterday, I don't know if he will ever have his class but I'm seeing a lot of Chance Bateman spunk in the guy.
Isaac Smith - what the hell has happened to the set shot man ? The left to right swing in his kicking has almost become a shank, one last week and two this week and in the back of the mind after the siren kick of seasons past. Its almost officially the yips.

Overall it really does feel like we are heating up!:fire:

Great win their hawks in ya ugly ass colours.
Never understood how anyone could not be in awe of our awesome colours. They stand out and the sight of them makes my heart skip a beat with excitement. Gold - the colour laced on our premiership cups and chocolate- mmm chocolate.

Just a couple of things that have so far been overlooked on here.
Ipmey - sure he was far from polished yesterday, yep he fumbled at times and slipped at others but looking on the upside his running in the first half got me thinking that he is one preseason away from being the finished article that we are after. Look like an early version of Brad Hill yesterday, I don't know if he will ever have his class but I'm seeing a lot of Chance Bateman spunk in the guy.
Isaac Smith - what the hell has happened to the set shot man ? The left to right swing in his kicking has almost become a shank, one last week and two this week and in the back of the mind after the siren kick of seasons past. Its almost officially the yips.

Overall it really does feel like we are heating up!:fire:

Smithy should either take a Joel Garner run up and just imagine he is on the run kicking for goal

Or

Just handball the bloody thing off

Breust played for the Sydney Swans NEAFL team in 2008 and won a Premiership that year and did in fact train with the Swans in the lead-up to the rookie draft but was told by them he was too small and slow for AFL. Fast forward about 350 goals later he's won three Premierships.

Effectively Sydney have given up in a way Breust (overlooked in the draft), Spangher (trade) and Simpkin (listed by the Swans in 05-06 seasons) who have a combined five Premierships between them. Then there's that 6th best midfielder they also happened to lose. I can't remember his name. :D

For all the Swans' rookie pick wins they've missed arguably the best rookie pick of all time.

No passengers today although Jars did his best impersonation. As Clarko said, we’ve got a ways to go and lots of work to match the top teams but we are there abouts and that’s all that matters atm.

Pretty sure I’ve got sunstroke and it was great to be amongst so many hawks today - was a great day and looking forward to work tomorrow

Special mentions to Stratts, Hardwick and Ceglar today - they were great. Mitch, Silk, JOM and Shiels - midfield building nicely

Well said OTC. It was a real team effort. Stratts and Hardwick are rarely beaten, and although they don't have the run off likea J.J., or Saad, they continually set up forward drives, and more importantly they just don't lose one-on-ones. Hardwick is a gem, and, along with some other youngsters, we should be looking at extending their contracts. The big fish for the 20s could be among them.

Would like to mention Brand also. Without having to worry about the big monster forward, he did very well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back