Preview Round 19, 2019: Hawthorn v Brisbane Lions, 27 July 2019, 1.45pm @ York Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nash can nullify a tall defender.
There was at least one contest last weekend when the ball was kicked into the forward 50 that Nash got double teamed, he certainly demands some respect from the defence. If that's enough for Lewis and Timmy to get a decent crack at the footy then he stays in.

We don’t generate a lot of inside 50’s, neither do Geelong. I’m sure we would like to generate more. We do quite well at restricting other teams entries though, 5th in the league.

Brisbane are actually number one in the league for inside 50’s since the bye rounds, so it will be a challenge for us.

They are averaging 10 more inside 50’s per game, and their forward line has been slightly more efficient than ours.

This will be the game in a sense, we need to restrict their entries. If we let them play as they have been over the last 5-6 weeks they will win the game.
We have been effective strangling teams this year, I'm pretty confident we can do it to the Lions, is just whether we can get enough sausage rolls.

Sometimes it’s all about the right balance. I think clarko feels that Nash gives us that more than padded up stats. Off course it’d be great if Connor could get 15+ possies and a couple of goals a game but he is willing to wait and give him as much chance as possible. It also allows Chad to play in the middle more so having both Nash and Ollie prowling around f50 gives us closing speed which we don’t have.

And Nash has since he is playing forward? Ross is leading VFL goal kicker, maybe some time in the One's learning from the best will be better for him?
He's about 20yrs old & has gone from not much to 2nd in VFL goal-kicker in less than a season.

Clearly, whatever he's doing is working for him & he's learning & developing at an excellent rate.

Why on Earth you want to f*** with it is beyond me.

If he's still playing 2's, there's a fair chance the Coaches feel he's got more to learn/develop & that his current role is the best place for that to occur.

Were a red hot chance to win this game.
Match ups across the ground look pretty good to break even at least.
I get the feeling that this game will come down to some individual brilliance... hello Chad Wingard.
This needs to be his break out game.

Nash has skills, absolutely.
While we wait, & yes ladies & gentlemen it will be the 50 game catch cry, his role from what I can make out suits me just fine. Harry Taylor did * all against us & I dare say that whoever gets Nash week after week will have the same influence as an intercept defender.
Oppo rebound football has been our Achilles heal for a long time. Taking that away & letting the guys like Wingard, Breust, Hanrahan work some magic with a midfield support crew locking down is gold.

The Timmy train is is chugging along nicely. Him & ML are a great tandem with a continuity & remind me of the Rough & Bud 1-2 punch of understanding & support. If they can be half as good as that that’s another flag ; )
Hawks by 17

I'm sick of being the Nash defender in every thread, so this is all I can say - the coaching group know better than us. They've picked him every time he's been fit enough. That should be enough.

Also important to note, he has played 9 games for 5 wins. Of those losses were:

West Coast - Should have won but kicked ourselves out
Bulldogs - Shiels and Burgoyne go down, we lose due to lack of rotations
Saints - Stratton and Frawley go down, we lose due to lack of rotations
Geelong - We play them without the 4 players that went out above

There's a pretty strong correlation with Nash being in the side and us playing better football, but what would the coaches know?

He has played 14 games in for 8 wins and 6 losses... He averages 8 possessions, 1 Mark, 3 tackles and less than a goal assist a game. Out of his 8 possessions he averages 2 turnovers and only 90mtrs gained.

There’s a pretty obvious and damning reason why people question the Nash selection, on paper his performances are light years away of what most (as in 99% of people) would expect from a player to stay in the side.

I said earlier in the thread he is worth persisting with, he shows glimpses every so often.. but I’m questioning whether that should be in the seniors.

There was at least one contest last weekend when the ball was kicked into the forward 50 that Nash got double teamed, he certainly demands some respect from the defence. If that's enough for Lewis and Timmy to get a decent crack at the footy then he stays in.

This is the only way I can see him playing.. happy to roll with it for the moment too.

You ever played footy and been asked to play a specific role mate? I love posters who crap on players when the have no idea what his role is. Clearly the coaching team think he is doing his job, don’t you think?

Yeah. Played TFL seniors for Devonport. Reserves in DFA league, and reserves for Rocherlea in the old NTFL.

Played forward bit occasionally went down back to remove an annoying forward, which usually I also never touched the ball, and neither did my opponent. One game against Hillwood i dominated forward with ocer 10 marks to about half way through the 3rd. Coach sent me back to try piss off some other forward who was causing us troubles, made the little s**t chase me all day with dummy leads and told my team to never kick it to me.

Set plan that worked at a lower level football code, AFL is no where near the same. Still needs input else where etc. Even with the role of forward Dummy/bring to ground, Nash needs more tackles for starters. And he never gets the hard ball. Should be getting 2-3 of those a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Set plan that worked at a lower level football code, AFL is no where near the same. Still needs input else where etc. Even with the role of forward Dummy/bring to ground, Nash needs more tackles for starters. And he never gets the hard ball. Should be getting 2-3 of those a game.

I agree with this, I'd like to see him sticking more tackles and ragdolling more blokes but I am not unhappy for him to find that form in the seniors.

Do people watch games or just look at stats?
The amount of crap hung on Nash is quite amazing. Sure, his stats don't look great, but if you actually watch games (particularly at the ground, as tv can be deceptive), you see he commands respect from his opponents.
He's a bit like a ol in the NFL. Statistically they don't do much, but a good one makes sure the QB is well looked after, and in turn makes the team much more versatile

Well yeah, we watch the games. Which is why we know Nash runs around creating a bit of space and contesting marks to bring be down, and get 1 kick a quarter. But we also know that this is not enough, to many times I saw him standing outside of a contest doing sweet flap all. You can't charge into a pack all the time, but there were times when he should of got involved, laid a tackle, contested the hard ball and had a tad more impact.

I am never expecting 20+ possessions in his role, that is stupid. He needs to just lift his defensive game when down forward. Keep the ball inside our 50, instead of being a passenger and watching it rebound to other end for a goal.

You can throw the "Do you even watch Footy" around all you like, but the same can be asked of you, do you watch it?? If so maybe you will realize he needs more input at times, needs to help more keeping the ball inside our 50. Because once he has done his role, he basically sits on his hands outside every contest. Some for a reason of cause, like trying to make numbers on outside even, but sometimes he needs to make the decision to go in and help.

Well yeah, we watch the games. Which is why we know Nash runs around creating a bit of space and contesting marks to bring be down, and get 1 kick a quarter. But we also know that this is not enough, to many times I saw him standing outside of a contest doing sweet flap all. You can't charge into a pack all the time, but there were times when he should of got involved, laid a tackle, contested the hard ball and had a tad more impact.

I am never expecting 20+ possessions in his role, that is stupid. He needs to just lift his defensive game when down forward. Keep the ball inside our 50, instead of being a passenger and watching it rebound to other end for a goal.

You can throw the "Do you even watch Footy" around all you like, but the same can be asked of you, do you watch it?? If so maybe you will realize he needs more input at times, needs to help more keeping the ball inside our 50. Because once he has done his role, he basically sits on his hands outside every contest. Some for a reason of cause, like trying to make numbers on outside even, but sometimes he needs to make the decision to go in and help.
Rebounds from Hawthorn's defensive 50m has only been successful( goals) at a rate of 6 from the last 150 odd attempts. rogiebear93 will love that, me doing stats.

The amount of crap hung on Nash is quite amazing. Sure, his stats don't look great, but if you actually watch games (particularly at the ground, as tv can be deceptive), you see he commands respect from his opponents.
He's a bit like a ol in the NFL. Statistically they don't do much, but a good one makes sure the QB is well looked after, and in turn makes the team much more versatile

I go most weeks, he shows flashes and on the odd occasion provides a good tackle and a deft touch.. he played a good negating role on the weekend which I thought was positive but he is almost invisible for large majority of games.

I wish people would stop the sooking when posters express concerns about player performances, this is exactly the place to do it so either put up with it or don’t reply.

Dan Howe played a great game in the backline. Strong mark, and seems to be a much better kick when he's got all the play in front of him.

Impey obviously out, and that one really stings. Has been MASSIVE for us this year, and is the type of guy you just hope the best for in every circumstance.

Miles hasn't played a game this year, and has been strong all year for BH. Might be time to give him a shot, if they want to bring in another defender for Impey.

Nash was quiet but did some good things, will be interesting too see how invested we are in him. Need more output than what he gave today, but at least returned 2 score involvements and 1 goal assist from his 5 disposals. He provides a marking contest sometimes, but rarely looks like taking a good grab.

Walker great in the VFL it looks, potentially in for nash?

Cousins had a strong block in the midfield at VFL level, would have a case at selection.

my outs: IMPEY, NASH

my ins: BIRCHALL, COUSINS

Miles a chance.
Howe being able to play in the backline is good for dealing with mids who can go forward

Isn’t that right Danger?

I’m looking at you Danger - answer!

99D8D071-9017-4539-BDDC-ED5A7492E1C3.jpeg

We'll lose by 30+ this week. Nothing surer. Nash had the grand total of 5 touches in an entire game of AFL football, so spare me the bs structure spiel. It's not acceptable regardless of your ability to spin a cute narrative about him nullifying an oppo forward.

Poppy is cooked. This isn't the Whyalla seconds, this is the HFC. We don't tolerate mediocrity. 2 goals in 10 matches isn't enough. Not happy with Hardwick's form either. Scully needs to improve his defensive game. I'll be watching this game with bated breath.
You are trying too hard troll.

Wingard isn’t too far off from putting it all together. I have a feeling this will be his breakout game. That one weeks rest came at a good time for Gunston and he should finish off the season strongly.

Thought Gunner looked like he was still carrying agains the Cats. A number of times he leapt for marks and didn't seem to get anywhere near the height he would normally get.

We'll lose by 30+ this week. Nothing surer. Nash had the grand total of 5 touches in an entire game of AFL football, so spare me the bs structure spiel. It's not acceptable regardless of your ability to spin a cute narrative about him nullifying an oppo forward.

Poppy is cooked. This isn't the Whyalla seconds, this is the HFC. We don't tolerate mediocrity. 2 goals in 10 matches isn't enough. Not happy with Hardwick's form either. Scully needs to improve his defensive game. I'll be watching this game with bated breath.
Any toys left in the cot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back