Preview Round 19, 2019: Hawthorn v Brisbane Lions, 27 July 2019, 1.45pm @ York Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I go most weeks, he shows flashes and on the odd occasion provides a good tackle and a deft touch.. he played a good negating role on the weekend which I thought was positive but he is almost invisible for large majority of games.

I wish people would stop the sooking when posters express concerns about player performances, this is exactly the place to do it so either put up with it or don’t reply.

Bit of a contradiction here Tige? So the posters that want to sook about Nash not getting enough kicks, handballs, tackles, goals etc etc, are OK to post their negative Nancy sky is falling bullshit, but those that like what he brings to the team have to sit back and shut up. Rightio!!

Clarko isn't stupid. If Nash wasn't doing whatever Clarko wants him to do them I'd suggest he'd be back at Box Hill yeah?

I agree, we would all love him to be able to play his role and get 25 possessions, take 15 contested marks and kick 5-10 goals every week. How awesome would that be. But, you can't expect supporters to sit back and not respond in his defence, whilst poster after poster take arm chair pathetic cheap shots at him again and again.

I go most weeks, he shows flashes and on the odd occasion provides a good tackle and a deft touch.. he played a good negating role on the weekend which I thought was positive but he is almost invisible for large majority of games.

I wish people would stop the sooking when posters express concerns about player performances, this is exactly the place to do it so either put up with it or don’t reply.
I don't mind people questioning why we have someone in the team, as long as they've either actually thought about it or are asking something new.

It's normal to have someone that you don't like/get/want in the team and someone missing out that you do, people have preferences for certain players or certain types of players.

What's annoying is rehashing the same conversation over and over and over.

Someone coming in and saying player x kicked no goals must be dropped or only touched it 4 times must be dropped or didn't have a tackle must be dropped is meh

When it is the same poster complaining about the same player every week because that is their personal whipping boy it just takes the focus away from talking about the game coming up.

We've had multiple times this year where we really haven't had anyone else available to play because we've got so many kids at box hill that just aren't ready due to how much of our list we have actually turned over and the injuries we've had.

Now I don't think posters need to attack someone for asking for a player to be dropped but it would be nice if that selection request came with a proposed solution, and if they aren't a like for like an example of how they'd like to see the chairs shuffled or us play differently to justify it.

I think that would lead to much better footy talk.

This isn't directed at you just in answer to your comment on sooking posters as I think some could learn to express their concerns better than they do, just as some could learn to deal with questions about players abilities better

I don't mind people questioning why we have someone in the team, as long as they've either actually thought about it or are asking something new.

It's normal to have someone that you don't like/get/want in the team and someone missing out that you do, people have preferences for certain players or certain types of players.

What's annoying is rehashing the same conversation over and over and over.

Someone coming in and saying player x kicked no goals must be dropped or only touched it 4 times must be dropped or didn't have a tackle must be dropped is meh

When it is the same poster complaining about the same player every week because that is their personal whipping boy it just takes the focus away from talking about the game coming up.

We've had multiple times this year where we really haven't had anyone else available to play because we've got so many kids at box hill that just aren't ready due to how much of our list we have actually turned over and the injuries we've had.

Now I don't think posters need to attack someone for asking for a player to be dropped but it would be nice if that selection request came with a proposed solution, and if they aren't a like for like an example of how they'd like to see the chairs shuffled or us play differently to justify it.

I think that would lead to much better footy talk.

This isn't directed at you just in answer to your comment on sooking posters as I think some could learn to express their concerns better than they do, just as some could learn to deal with questions about players abilities better

This is exactly how I feel. I'm open to having conversations about player performance if it can be backed up with something tangible, but if you come out and say Nash is playing and these are the reasons why, people pull out the old "You can use statistics to prove anything Kent, forfty percent of all people know that".

Think we'll win this.

Have been pretty solid all year with a few bad patches that have really hurt. Got the jump on the Lions last time but then really went in to our defensive shell and allowed them to come back.

We're in better form now and getting better value for our play. Still not hitting the scoreboard as hard as we'd like but we are getting more return overall for our periods on top. Our defence in particular has been immense.

With our current form, the match in Tassie, Andrews out and a bit of fire in the belly to arrest the streak the Lions have had over us, I think this all adds up to a Hawks win by 15-25.

Pretty standard July forecast for Launceston. Frost then sunny day with light NW winds. Will be chilly unless you are sitting in the sun on the Eastern side of the ground, so bring your winter woollies!!

715413 715415

Miles is a good afl footballer, Clarko hasn’t been fair at all to him

He's vanilla IMO. A neat little player but with no real point of difference. Not that quick, not that big, not exceptionally fast or skilled.

Can serve a role if required but really not someone who has a position to make his own going forward.

Set plan that worked at a lower level football code, AFL is no where near the same. Still needs input else where etc. Even with the role of forward Dummy/bring to ground, Nash needs more tackles for starters. And he never gets the hard ball. Should be getting 2-3 of those a game.

Yeah this is my thoughts too. He's improved a lot with his aerial contests since he's come back in to the team. Is definitely crunching the contests and ensuring we don't let opposition take uncontested marks in out forward half. That's a great start and helpful to our "lock it in/repeat entries" gameplan.

Obviously still doesn't get the ball or hit the scoreboard himself so the next step is to do what everyone seems to think his role is - tackle like he's Cyril Rioli. This is the missing piece of the "what he's in the team for" puzzle. Needs to get those F50 tackles right up and causing panic and rushed disposals from the opposition when trying to clear the ball from our forward line.

Last edited:
Obviously still doesn't get the ball or hit the scoreboard himself so the next step is to do what everyone seems to think his role is - tackle like he's Cyril Rioli.

Another s**t post. You quoted me saying 2-3 tackles and you try to compare that to Rioli?? You just quite, ignore, and change it up to suit your own agenda.

Seems hard to get a mature conversation around here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another s**t post. You quoted me saying 2-3 tackles and you try to compare that to Rioli?? You just quite, ignore, and change it up to suit your own agenda.

I was agreeing with your view point.... :drunk: And it was blatantly clear too IMO. Comprehension fail 101

Yeah this is my thoughts too. He's improved a lot with his aerial contests since he's come back in to the team. Is definitely crunching the contests and ensuring we don't let opposition take uncontested marks in out forward half. That's a great start and helpful to out "lock it in/repeat entries" gameplan.

Obviously still doesn't get the ball or hit the scoreboard himself so the next step is to do what everyone seems to think his role is - tackle like he's Cyril Rioli. This is the missing piece of the "what he's in the team for" puzzle. Needs to get those F50 tackles right up and causing panic and rushed disposals from the opposition when trying to clear the ball from our forward line.

Wingard seems to have been for the cyril role....or was he?

Chad seems to have very little time and space as a small forward, but now hes practically an inside mid who seems to have plenty of time and space to make clearances

Que the clarko flexibility tickbox

That's a pretty big wrap your giving us. I'm sure Hodgey will retire having never lost to hawthorn.
I never said we'd win, just that I wanted to. And its more to do with the lovely people I associate up here with in Brissy, and not the team itself!

I'm also sure that Hodgey will retire a 4 time premiership player.

Wingard seems to have been for the cyril role....or was he?

Chad seems to have very little time and space as a small forward, but now hes practically an inside mid who seems to have plenty of time and space to make clearances

Que the clarko flexibility tickbox

When he played majority as a small forward our forward line was a hell of a lot more dysfunctional though.

When he played majority as a small forward our forward line was a hell of a lot more dysfunctional though.
Think the conditioning got it wrong with Chad in the forward line and he is playing in the midfield now due to his body and conditioning. Think clarko and he mentioned it, what is showing though is he is a midfield first then forward, is very clean at stoppages and no surprise why we were very strong against Geelong.

If people can't see why Nash is in the team they also don't understand the modern game. Rebounding players are crucial and being able to use Nash as a negating forward is why our defence from our 50 has been so strong. Sure he could do more but so can a lot of players and what he brings to the team nobody else can. A 200cm power athlete who can play on the Mcgovern types and do it with ease and someone the hawks are developing on the run is special.

It will be interesting to see how they play Howe and Birchall and Burgoyne this week as with Impey going down we don't have that speed from the back half but good ball movement would minimise the loss.

Think the conditioning got it wrong with Chad in the forward line and he is playing in the midfield now due to his body and conditioning. Think clarko and he mentioned it, what is showing though is he is a midfield first then forward, is very clean at stoppages and no surprise why we were very strong against Geelong.
So clean you don't really appreciate it till you check the replay

If you want mature conversation, earn it.

You misunderstand someone's post, call it s**t, and then complain about the standard of interaction here?

Yeah mate, congrats on posting his average stats when he played in DEFENCE!! Most of our conversation revolves around him being in the forward 50, where he was lacking.
Average defensive stats do not refer to how he has played when he was playing in the backline.
Let me ask: Who comes in to replace him who can do what he does, but better? He's a giant, but moves like a small forward. He crashes packs, he lays tackles, he removes defenders from the game. He allows the likes of Lewis and TOB to have a greater swathe of the f50 to play in as he creates leads that draw multiple defenders due to his size, and when he does get the ball he either handpasses to a player in an advantageous position, or he kicks the ball to a better user who is open.
Find me a player on our list that does ALL that and we can potentially have a mature conversation about his spot in the team (preferably one that doesn't denigrate to "your post is s**t because I don't agree with it).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back