Preview Round 19, 2019: Hawthorn v Brisbane Lions, 27 July 2019, 1.45pm @ York Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If people can't see why Nash is in the team they also don't understand the modern game. Rebounding players are crucial and being able to use Nash as a negating forward is why our defence from our 50 has been so strong. Sure he could do more but so can a lot of players and what he brings to the team nobody else can. A 200cm power athlete who can play on the Mcgovern types and do it with ease and someone the hawks are developing on the run is special.

It will be interesting to see how they play Howe and Birchall and Burgoyne this week as with Impey going down we don't have that speed from the back half but good ball movement would minimise the loss.

I think this is so obvious that I'm amazed people are actually arguing it. If he's sitting at 50 games (instead of 14) and offering the same contribution he is now then I may find the anti-Nashers persuasive but at the moment I'm set. I'm happy to see him getting time, getting more dangerous, improving every game. I think he's got the potential to explode hugely and we'll know by around 50 games if that assessment is correct or not.

To argue a guy with all that potential and 14 games experience is a dud who should be dropped is a bit blind-sighted, in my opinion. The same argument at 50 games is more persuasive.

Some people want Nash in the side, others don't. I was firmly in the don't camp for a long time but over the past few weeks I have softened a bit, I pledged to rogiebear93 id give him the chance and watch him a bit more closely and not go as hard so I am going to continue to do that. I would like to see more out of him, that is probably a natural feeling amongst a lot of supporters but I can see some benefits of him being in the side.

One thing though, if he goes another 15 games averaging 8 touches a game and going large chunks without impacting then surely we start to consider alternatives, flipside if we see him progress his impact then we may just have something to stick with.

Once again totally missed the point.

Nash's defensive stats posted earlier We're made while he played Defence. He has only just moved forward, so those stats do not apply.

Nash's defensive stats posted earlier We're made while he played Defence. He has only just moved forward, so those stats do not apply.
Nash has played forward all year

That's not correct, the only defensive stat purely from him being in defense was the 1 on 1s. That's only because AFL stats pro doesn't provide offensive 1 on 1s.

My dude he's been playing in the forward half his whole career bar several cameo quarters down back.

Yeah nah. I reckon poppy's halved more 2 v 1's than anyone else in the league this year. Thank god we've finally got some mobile targets inside 50 so he can play a normal small pressure-forward role

We certainly aren't playing to Poppy's strengths so it is a bit unfair on him but he's been no better than Nash who seems to be the new whipping boy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We certainly aren't playing to Poppy's strengths so it is a bit unfair on him but he's been no better than Nash who seems to be the new whipping boy.

Pops lost significant acceleration, that's the problem.

What do we need to see tomorrow for a Hawks victory over the Lions?

Does Pup/Howe tag Neale? Zorko has been pretty good recently too. Hipwood has caused us some headaches in the past. Who is his best match-up? Does TOB need to go back to cover him, and perhaps play Gunston as a more dangerous forward.

I am really interested to see how players line up at first bounce tomorrow. Has the makings for a really tough contest. We obviously need Jaeger and Worpedo to continue their good work of the past couple of weeks in the middle. Do the Lions tag Jaeger?

Defensively we have been keeping teams to really low scores, but this Brisbane team seems to be far more attacking in the way they move the footy, so that will be another test. Really looking forward to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back