Preview Round 19, 2019: Hawthorn v Brisbane Lions, 27 July 2019, 1.45pm @ York Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zack

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Team selection will be interesting, Impey is our Guerra atm and he's out (Different style but no skinny fast boy could ever recover from Goo's ass bumping him on the lead. If Birchall doesn't play and Teia Miles doesn't get selected given he's continuous good form at BH his number is gone there would be a fair argument it was befor we kept him. If he walked you'd have to argue he's right to do it. So are the coaches who don't believe he's up to it not to play him. We lack pace down back. Miles is basically all we have left unless we put up CJ... or Glass again actually... my rant may have missed him and therefore I've gone too hard early.

But it will be interesting this week at team selection.

Oct 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I’m cautiously optimistic about this game. Make no mistake we are certainly underdogs and will need to play at our best to win - but there are certain changes that make us better suited vs last time.

McEvoy is the biggest - last time we played Pittonet/Ceglar. His presence around the ground and aerial ability should strengthen our midfield. The midfield is another area - O’Meara/Sheils/Worpel have been working exceptionally well with the addition of Wingard. Last time Chad was relegated to the forward pocket and injured in the first quarter. I believe we have a much better balance than we did previously. Smith/Scully are also in much better form, and while Hendo has tapered off he’s still good.

Our defence has been excellent this year and matches up well. Stratton is good vs Cameron while Frawey/Sicily should be able to handle Hipwood/McStay. However we do need to be wary of their next wave - McInerney can cause headaches and may require Gunston back to cover, McCarthy is underrated and Rayner seems to play well against us. Burgoyne/Hardwick/Birchall (??) will need to be at their best. A very unfortunate time to lose Impey :(

Things get interesting in the forwardline.
With Andrews out Brisbane only have Adams/Gardiner as tall defenders. They really only have Walker to cover and he’s not a guaranteed selection. With Nash limiting Gardiner, Lewis/O’Brien/Gunston can match Adams/Walker aerially while being much more mobile. If they don’t bring in Walker we could have Hodgey playing on Hodgey. With fast ball movement we could really look to exploit these matchups. Additionally, they don’t have Robertson in the team who always seems to limit Bruest (they may bring him in).

If we come to play, and Brisbane rock up expecting an easy win, I think we match up well enough to get the victory. I hope the players are motivated because our slim chance of playing finals basically disappears if we lose this.

Last edited:

Zack

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Poor Scrimshaw suffering from the dreaded continual Bupa 2 week injury it seems. Hard to break the cycle.

The HBF curse... Hodge Brisbaned off has pointed the bone so to speak, Birchall cursed ever since, Scrimshaw following in his footsteps, Impey gets moved there bang after a few weeks, he's gone for the season. Teia never gets to play there, he's just cursed. Glass moved into the middle at BH level to try and alleviate it, the CJ get's a facial in at BH. OK Howe had his first crack at it ever and seemed to go well... but give it time he'll be next.

It's Hodgey's curse. It's like the new number 36. It's getting scary.

matey

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If Lewis can kick 2/3 and set up a couple of others we have a good chance of winning. Over the last month in having that big forward that can mark or if he doesn’t it goes to ground, it’s kept the ball in the forward line for longer periods of time. So many games this year have seen that long kick into the forwards, to no one in particular and the opposition take an easy mark and/or clear it away easily. Lewis has added a lot to our team structure bringing others into the game. This could now trigger sides to plan/counter Lewis’s position on the ground and hopefully leave others off the leash.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If Lewis can kick 2/3 and set up a couple of others we have a good chance of winning. Over the last month in having that big forward that can mark or if he doesn’t it goes to ground, it’s kept the ball in the forward line for longer periods of time. So many games this year have seen that long kick into the forwards, to no one in particular and the opposition take an easy mark and/or clear it away easily. Lewis has added a lot to our team structure bringing others into the game. This could now trigger sides to plan/counter Lewis’s position on the ground and hopefully leave others off the leash.
What I noticed against Geelong is that it forced their defenders to all go up. Leaving some of our fwds at ground level unmanned. That's what quality tall forwards do. They create big packs, outnumbers, and defenders that overcommit. Because the danger is in the air. It creates opportunity and ground level too. We haven't had this since the early days of Bud and Rough. God it's refreshing to watch.

diggydig

All Australian
May 25, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hope to see Nash play every game while we still have a shot at finals. Once we are out of the race, hope to see him dropped to VFL to get more in-game experience and possessions to develop his skills and awareness. Would love to see him on the wing in a year or two.

Jul 6, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Surprised there's still so many calling for Miles to be elevated to AFL again - not a hater by any stretch, but IMO, he's not AFL standard; no stand-out characteristics
You obviously are a hater. When given the opportunity last year he played very well. How the hell is that not AFL standard!! Shiels is a very good AFL player with no standout characteristics.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
Team selection will be interesting, Impey is our Guerra atm and he's out (Different style but no skinny fast boy could ever recover from Goo's ass bumping him on the lead. If Birchall doesn't play and Teia Miles doesn't get selected given he's continuous good form at BH his number is gone there would be a fair argument it was befor we kept him. If he walked you'd have to argue he's right to do it. So are the coaches who don't believe he's up to it not to play him. We lack pace down back. Miles is basically all we have left unless we put up CJ... or Glass again actually... my rant may have missed him and therefore I've gone too hard early.

But it will be interesting this week at team selection.
I’d upgrade CJ and give him his debut. Miles already has his papers stamped.

Chubberson

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 12, 2011
radelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We didn't really have forwards that were in form last time. Pitts played as mentioned and he is a good VFL player at best atm. I think it will be close, our success going inside 50 has been much better the last month or so and it seems the guys are trusting each other and hungry again. It will be a close game I reckon. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see O'Brien start on Hipwood but I think it may be Sicily with Timmy to start forward and a smaller player to come in. If the mids can break even we are right in it, whatever isn't getting marked is getting brought to ground, the lads have been flying for everything.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
You obviously are a hater. When given the opportunity last year he played very well. How the hell is that not AFL standard!! Shiels is a very good AFL player with no standout characteristics.
While Miles played well offensively last season his efforts defensively is what has kept him out of the team.

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Surprised there's still so many calling for Miles to be elevated to AFL again - not a hater by any stretch, but IMO, he's not AFL standard; no stand-out characteristics.

He was pretty AFL standard last time he got a run, save for his last game before getting dropped.
Stand out characteristics: Outstanding disposal of the footy. Would be in the best half dozen to dozen at the club. Clean on the pick up, doesn't panic with lots of bodies around him, makes enough time to find a good attacking option and will take on the oppo and drive in to space with really good instincts. He will then release the ball to his best option who will prove most dangerous to the other side. Won't just give it as a hot one to the next guy in the chain. One of the better at our club at it. He's got plenty of run in him and will create an overlap and option downfield.
In all his games I've never seen him taken to the cleaners by his direct opponent. Maybe no defensive maestro, but hardly a disaster.

I reckon there are some team rules he must not follow in terms of where to be when 'X' happens, or how to cover when 'Y' goes down.....instead he backs himself to make the right play.
He is NOT a defensive liability IMO, brings far more ups than downs.
However, where 12 months ago I reckon he was better than some of the players going in ahead of him, our list is stronger today and there are others who bring much of what he does and are taller...so they look like they're more suited to the role.

New club for Teia next year I'm sure, and reckon he'll make a decent fist of it.

lyger

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2010
Source
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What I noticed against Geelong is that it forced their defenders to all go up. Leaving some of our fwds at ground level unmanned. That's what quality tall forwards do. They create big packs, outnumbers, and defenders that overcommit. Because the danger is in the air. It creates opportunity and ground level too. We haven't had this since the early days of Bud and Rough. God it's refreshing to watch.
And not only is Lewis a threat in the air, he is also good on the lead, and works well in tandem with TOB and Gunners. Already a very big headache for oppo defenders and coaches. Very refreshing to watch indeed- has been the catalyst in transforming our forward line. The exciting part is he will only get better.

Last edited:
If Carlton beat Adelaide how much do we have to win by in order to be in 8th spot at the end of the round? Assuming Port Adelaide either lose to GWS or win that game by a small margin.

If Carlton beat Adelaide how much do we have to win by in order to be in 8th spot at the end of the round? Assuming Port Adelaide either lose to GWS or win that game by a small margin.
I did a quick ladder prediction & the crows have to lose by around 60 & we have to win by about 50 to be in the 8.

That's a really rough estimate, so "we'll just take it one week at a time, we're glad we got the four points".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back