Preview Round 19 2019 - Hawthorn vs Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'd probably just bring in Nick Robbo to play on Breust. No need for a third tall against the Hawks with Adams back into a bit of form.
Tim Obrien can take a big grab n did well last week from the highlights I saw. Nash also capable of a big grab.

Well the last two weeks I've been incredibly unsure of our chances and we've won both times. Same this week, but only because it's Clarko. Not all the worried as to who comes in. If we are firing it won't matter. What I really want is for the boys to be proactive in protecting Lachie. They did some nice stuff in the clearances against Port, but hopefully we are measurably physical (play the ball!) for him. I don't want any niggling injuries for him during finals!

I think.. McCarthy will kick 4.

oh and yes #freeHarris

Harris unlucky with the suspension and it will likely be overturned if he legally changes his last name to Cunnington.

Zorko lucky not to be gone for weeks. Disgusting from any player, let alone a club captain.
You’ve got to be joking about Zorko!!! Not even worth a fine

Obviously a big if still, but if we don't challenge the Andrews suspension and / or his suspension is upheld, will be really interesting to see who we bring in.

I think it will come down to three choices depending on how we'll match up: Walker, Lester or Robertson. I still can't decide as all bring something different.

You’ve got to be joking about Zorko!!! Not even worth a fine

Its not the sort of stuff I would want my captain to be doing. I don't think there's anything in the spitting thing, getting hit in the guts while you're lying on the ground tends to make you purse your lips, its not like you can see any spit actually coming out. As for the pinch not sure why that sort of stuff is needed but then again I don't see the need for half the little hits and niggles that happened during most games most weeks. Honestly maybe players should concentrate on just playing football.

I mean if North had put more effort into winning a clearance as they did into niggle around the ground, they may have not given away so many free kicks and gotten over the line. Sure some were dubious but plenty others where they decided to go that step too far.

I was in Melbourne over the weekend and went to the Hawthorn-Geelong game. Their tall forwards kicked 8 out of 12 goals, with Mitchel Lewis 3, O'Brien 3 and Gunston 2, with Gunston playing some of the game down back. Lewis and O'Brien are strong marks and Geelong had quality tall defenders. So if Andrews is out, we definitely need Walker to combat one of them, along with Gardiner and Adams. They also played a high possession game and mostly denied Geelong attacks through the corridor. We will need to be at our away best to beat them, they have quality on every line. Looking forward to watching this one, nothing guaranteed about it at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure the Hawks have the cattle for the quick and direct running game that has troubled us the most this season. With Hodge's pointing we clog it up pretty quickly if they want to play a high possession game. I've actually been surprised at our stamina to maintain pressure in long periods without the ball too, my main concern is whether we spent too many tickets both physically and emotionally on Saturday night and that we might be a bit lethargic this week.

This could genuinely be Hodges last game v the Hawks. Will definitely have some emotion in it. Can't wait!

I feel like four points would be an appropriate going away present.

In the mix: Who's pushing for selection in round 19?
Brisbane Lions:

Get them in:
Plenty of strong NEAFL performances, led by 43 disposals from Corey Lyons. Nick Robertson, Lewy Taylor and Ben Keays also impressed in the Lions' 13th straight win.

Under the pump: Youngster Zac Bailey still looks a little rusty as he shuffles between half-back and the wing. He's ever-so-slightly improving though and should be persisted with.

Medical room: No new injuries for the Lions – they remain arguably the healthiest list in the competition.

Toyota WorkHorse Verdict: If Harris Andrews misses through suspension, the Lions have a decision to make. In-form Ryan Lester can come back as the third tall defender, pushing Marcus Adams into a primary defensive role, or young keys Jack Payne and Sam Skinner could be considered. Lester deserves a recall, particularly with Adams' improved form last week. If Andrews beats his charge, the team should remain unchanged.

Hawthorn:

Get them in:
There's a spot up for grabs since Jarman Impey tore his right ACL, and Teia Miles may have timed his run perfectly with a 30-disposal VFL performance. Other defensive options – depending on how the Hawks reshuffle – include Conor Glass, David Mirra and Kaiden Brand. They could instead move Isaac Smith or Ricky Henderson to a half-back role, and promote ball-winner James Cousins. Are they willing to include Jon Ceglar alongside Ben McEvoy and Mitch Lewis against Brisbane?

Under the pump: Conor Nash has improved his aerial contest work, but his offensive game isn't quite flowing yet.

Medical room: Impey will have a knee reconstruction this week and his career-best season is over. Late withdrawal Grant Birchall (soreness) still has Thursday's main session to prove his fitness, but he wasn't moving freely on Tuesday and looks in doubt. Ex-Saint Darren Minchington hurt himself again in the VFL on Sunday, just as he was challenging for a senior place. Jack Scrimshaw (knee), Dylan Moore (groin), Harry Morrison (back spasms), Ryan Schoenmakers (calf) and project ruckman Ned Reeves remain in the rehab group.

Toyota WorkHorse Verdict: Miles in for Impey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back