Review Round 19, 2019 - Hawthorn vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Hawthorn?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure that they should be conducting interviews if that’s the case.

A press conference is hardly a sit down interview. Besides that, absolutely s**t thing to say.

Just finished the replay.

Our forward line were immense today. Their pressure was intense and they did what the Hawks couldn't - score.

Neale was very influential in the middle, but McCluggage showed off his elite talent and was the most damaging player on the field with the ball in hand.

Over all, we took the punches our opposition thew and didn't stumble. We kept at it and blew them away when it was our turn to have the momentum. We're a team that can win in 10 minutes of football and that is a bloody lethal asset to have.

Lastly, Answorth is a gun. If you were a first time watcher, it would be easy to assume he was a top 20 pick in the draft. Disciplined, skillful, hard at it. What a package for a small defender. 15 touches, a goal and seven tackles whilst absolutely towling Breust. Rising star nom is long overdue.

Hung in the first half and again ran over the top in the second.

Neale, Zorks, Robbo and the Suitcase damn good.

Hope Witho's calf not too bad.

Answerth showed a bit in that role off half back.

Competition for spots in the 22 huge

Looking forward to Sunday twilight...a 4 day week and the Doggies!

Wow, you're full of heart!:rolleyes:
Just watched the post game interview. Does anyone know who that inept journo was who asked those ridiculous waffled questions? Seriously embarrassing.
Thought he was pretty good. Good questions (acknowledged by Fagan) and awesome to see he was out there giving it all he had. Wish we had him asking those type of questions at all Fagan's pressers.

I'm sharing the Answorth love also. He is the small lock down defender we've been crying out for.
With the tasks he's been handed as a first year player, shows the amount of confidence the coaches have in him.
Did a number on Bruest yesterday. Towelled Rozee a few weeks ago also, thought he did well on Green(got a couple of cheap goals) to name a few.
This is a first year player in a top 4 side playing a massive role and playing it with the confidence of a hundred game player.
Overdue for rising star nomination. :clapping:

I'm sharing the Answorth love also. He is the small lock down defender we've been crying out for.
With the tasks he's been handed as a first year player, shows the amount of confidence the coaches have in him.
Did a number on Bruest yesterday. Towelled Rozee a few weeks ago also, thought he did well on Green(got a couple of cheap goals) to name a few.
This is a first year player in a top 4 side playing a massive role and playing it with the confidence of a hundred game player.
Overdue for rising star nomination. :clapping:
Answerth is also a player who brings aggression and offensive potential to his role as a defender. Kicked a goal yesterday and last week against North Melbourne it was his inside 50 in the dying seconds that Oscar was trying to mark before he was infringed against. Answerth is a gun!

Last edited:
Just a word on Christensen.

Since coming back into the team he has found a real home up forward in a hybrid small forward/high forward role - more defensive oriented than Charlie but still around for the crumbs and random opportunities and getting further up the ground than Charlie which helps provide some extra link up.

Then when the ball is on the ground on our forward 50 he can also play a Charlie Lite role, getting to dangerous positions that make life difficult for big defenders. With so much defensive attention needed to be devoted to Charlie, just having Bundy around is a bonus.

Added to that his forward defensive work has improved and he is a constant danger if clearances aren’t quick and clean from the opposition. I think he now plays an important role in making us a hard team to turn around once we get inside fifty.

Since coming back into the team he has found a real home up forward in a hybrid small forward/high forward role - more defensive oriented than Charlie but still around for the crumbs and random opportunities and getting further up the ground than Charlie which helps provide some extra link up.

Then when the ball is on the ground on our forward 50 he can also play a Charlie Lite role, getting to dangerous positions that make life difficult for big defenders. With so much defensive attention needed to be devoted to Charlie, just having Bundy around is a bonus.

Added to that his forward defensive work has improved and he is a constant danger if clearances aren’t quick and clean from the opposition. I think he now plays an important role in making us a hard team to turn around once we get inside fifty.
Agree Christensen has been a real contributor since his return. Reading the ball well and seems to have got his pace back when he attacks the ball.

Yep he has completely turned his career around. He is playing smart football and his positioning, ability to read the play and finishing are elite.

[l Lion fans
Watching the goal highlights, its really good to see Zorko basically always the first one there to congratulate the scorer. I think Brown mentioned in the commentating that he could be AA captain. Well I'm not sure of that but I think Zorko is leading really well this year.

And am I going crazy or has Martin now got black boots on. They used to be something else right? I couldn't recognize him until the 2nd half really. It was oddly disorientating.

Possibly wet weather boots - it wasn’t raining but the ground appeared very heavy from the way the ball was/not bouncing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of Clarko's better pressers - very fair and balanced with obvious respect for Fages and the Lions!

Clearly has a lot of respect for us. That is a game they should have won and just about ended their season. But he spoke as if it was an unlikely win for them in an overall sense. He seemed just happy they served it up to us.

Hammo back to writing stupid comments. Saying Hawthorn should’ve targeted Neale. Port and North did and we killed them in clearances. Hawks didn’t and they liked us in clearances.

I agree though. They should have. It really forced us to react having a player under siege last week (not so much Port). There was such a sense of calm about not having Lachie being targeted yesterday and it worked in our favour.

Finding it really hard to give votes. Felt our forwards and backs were solid without being great and it’s hard to give our midfielders the votes when we got smashed in the clearances.

Went with Neale, Lyons, Clug, Answerth and then it was a toss up between Robinson (great defensively) and Zorko (2 crucial goals).

I agree though. They should have. It really forced us to react having a player under siege last week (not so much Port). There was such a sense of calm about not having Lachie being targeted yesterday and it worked in our favour.

How did it work in our favour?

Didn’t settle into the Port game, very even Comp this year so an arm wrestle early is normal.

Yeah I didn't say every game. I think an arm wrestle is normal, I'd be happy if it was an arm wrestle. But it's not in a lot of cases. It's a lack of pressure, ball watching, and a reactive style of play that sees our opposition get a strong, confident start. We then switch on at about the 20 minute mark of the first 1/4 and start laying tackles and stop fumbling. To our credit, we always find a way back into the contest. The issue I foresee is, that dam wall might not hold up as well under the pressure of finals footy, if we let go of the rope in that environment, it will be a lot harder to get a grasp again.

How did it work in our favour?

Lachie impacted the contest un opposed at stoppage about 10 times and got the ball going our way in crucial moments. I had him best on. And, we didn't have to worry about sending numbers to protect him all day. Once we got our clearance game going in the second half, he really was able to impact. It worked the last 2 weeks, it's hard to argue that sending someone to him isn't a logical suggestion from Hammo given his last 2 weeks have been down.

Lachie impacted the contest un opposed at stoppage about 10 times and got the ball going our way in crucial moments. I had him best on. And, we didn't have to worry about sending numbers to protect him all day. Once we got our clearance game going in the second half, he really was able to impact. It worked the last 2 weeks, it's hard to argue that sending someone to him isn't a logical suggestion from Hammo given his last 2 weeks have been down.

Extremely easy actually

Port and North did it. Both very strong clearance teams and we were on top in the clearances against both of them.

Hawks didn’t. A very poor clearance team but they got on top of us at the clearances. Dominating early and dominating centre clearances for the whole game.

Hawks did drop away in the second half but it should’ve been a lot closer if they’d kicked straight and didn’t let us kick the last 4 in the third.

Neale has 10 clearances against Port, 7 against North and 7 yesterday.

What a great change from last week, last week we were dealing with an entire salty board of Kangas supporters hurling abuse and fake news at us, this week I haven't seen any negativity from Hawks fans at all, in fact a fair few saying they will be supporting us in September. Very classy.

Thought he was pretty good. Good questions (acknowledged by Fagan) and awesome to see he was out there giving it all he had. Wish we had him asking those type of questions at all Fagan's pressers.

He also asked good questions to Clarko.

The respect shown by Clarko in the presser was great to hear, from one of, if not the best Coach of the modern era.
Which probably mostly stems from his respect of Fages but he knows that we are a better team than them at the moment and they put up a Gallant effort in the first half in particular and should have been in front at the long break!
But they were all class in defeat!

Back