Preview Round 19, 2019: St.Kilda v Melbourne - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 27th July, 7:25PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 60 95.2%
  • Demons

Votes: 3 4.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
wP2p2Zb.png

Preview
St.Kilda v Melbourne

625032_thumb.jpg

St.Kilda broke a four game losing streak last Sunday afternoon with an emphatic 27 point victory over the Western Bulldogs in Brett Ratten's first game as caretaker coach of the Saints, following the resignation of Alan Richardson last Tuesday. It was the first time the Saints had scored over 100 points in a game in over a year.

As for Melbourne, they travelled up north to Alice Springs to face the reigning premiers in a rematch of last years preliminary final. Whilst the Demons looked to cause an upset at times, the class of the Eagles prevailed in the end - Melbourne falling by 13 points.

Let’s have a look at possible best 22s:

St.Kilda Best 22
B:
Nick Coffield, Nathan Brown, Shane Savage
HB: Callum Wilkie, Jake Carlisle, Hunter Clark
C: Jack Billings, Sebastian Ross, Jack Newnes
HF: Jack Sinclair, Josh Bruce, Luke Dunstan
F: Jack Lonie, Tim Membrey, Matthew Parker
Foll: Rowan Marshall, Jack Steven, Jack Steele
I/C: Blake Acres, Jade Gresham, Ben Paton, Nick Hind

Melbourne Best 22
B:
Jake Lever, Steven May, Josh Wagner
HB: Harrison Petty, Sam Frost, Michael Hibberd
C: Jayden Hunt, Clayton Oliver, Nathan Jones
HF: Jordan Lewis, Christian Petracca, Bayley Fritsch
F: Corey Wagner, Braydon Preuss, Christian Salem
Foll: Max Gawn, Jack Viney, Angus Brayshaw
I/C: James Harmes, Alex Neal-Bullen, Neville Jetta, Jay Lockhart

Medical Room

697896_gl.jpg

St Kilda's Rowan Marshall was flattened in a brave marking contest by Tim English early in the final quarter. He looked heavily winded and came straight to the bench, but did eventually come back onto the ground and played out the game.

For the Demons, Co-captain Jack Viney was concussed after a collision with Tom Barrass and didn't return to the field in the second half. Defender Steven May went down into the rooms during the third quarter with a tight hamstring but eventually returned. Harrison Petty looked ginger in the third quarter with a left foot complaint but he came back on.

Preview

665993_gl.jpg

It's been a big week at St.Kilda. Last Tuesday, former senior coach Alan Richardson handed in his resignation after 126 games at St.Kilda. Former Carlton senior coach and Hawthorn assistant Brett Ratten has moved into the hot seat for the last six games of the year, having run St.Kilda's forward line in 2019. As the good fortune of interim coaches continues, Ratten helped lift the spirited Saints to an impressive 27 point victory for their 7th win of the season.

Second-year midfielder Hunter Clark has started showing the potential he was recruited for at pick 7 at the 2017 National Draft. Clark's last month of football has been immense, and he went to another level on Sunday afternoon - gathering 26 disposals to go along with 6 marks and 2 goals to boot as he cruised to a best on ground performance in the win.

Other notable performances included small forward Jack Lonie (20 dispoals, 8 marks, 4 goals), midfielder Jack Billings (27 touches, 8 marks, 2 goals) ruckman Rowan Marshall (21 disposals, 32 hit-outs, 6 marks) and key forward Tim Membrey (14 possessions, 4 marks, 4 goals).

And a big shout-out to first gamer Doulton Langlands who kicked his first AFL goal!

It's been a horror year for Melbourne in 2019, and after having come off an incredible 2018 season in which they ended a win away from playing off for a premiership, the Demons have fallen away badly - sitting in 17th position with a month left of the season. Wins this year have been few and far between, only having beaten Sydney, Hawthorn, Gold Coast, Fremantle and Carlton, with losses against Port Adelaide, Geelong, Essendon, St.Kilda, Richmond, West Coast (twice), GWS, Adelaide, Collingwood, Brisbane and Western Bulldogs - a clear sign of a team that hasn't had the consistency of performance to worry the top teams. On Sunday, the Demons notched up their 12th loss of the season against the Eagles in Alice Springs.

In what was an improved but ultimately disappointing day for Melbourne, there were some few positives, including half forward Bailey Fritsch who was adjudged the Demons best on ground for the day with 22 touches, 14 marks and 4 goals. Others who stood up in the loss were on-baller Clayton Oliver (34 disposals, 6 tackles & a goal), Christian Salem (26 possessions, 8 marks, 7 tackles) and ruckman Max Gawn (13 disposals, 38 hit-outs, 4 marks, 5 tackles).

Potential changes

94ab2ca456b28d30c22b1668a6878063

After 21 disposals through 3 quarters in the VFL on the weekend, star midfielder Jack Steven could make his return to the senior side this week.

Other potential changes could be Brandon White (31 disp, 10 marks in the VFL) and a possible return for Jimmy Webster who is getting closer and closer to a return after injuring his hand earlier in the season.

Key Match-Ups

697530_gl.jpg

Clayton Oliver
We know by now that Clayton Oliver is a bull inside, and last week was evidence enough - Oliver finishing with 34 disposals and 6 tackles. In a down year for the Demons, Oliver has continued his strong play and will be key to a Melbourne win.

Bailey Fritsch
Fritsch was enormous for the Demons last week, amassing 14 marks to go along with his 22 disposals and 4 goals off a half forward flank to be voted as the Demons best If Fritsch has another game similar to last week the Saints will be in some trouble.

Tip

697967_ll.jpg

There's been a evident change in the way the Saints are playing under Brett Ratten. Using the corridoor more, playing more instinctive football, and hitting the scoreboard. Last week may have been a once off, only time will tell, but the Saints thrashed the Demons by 40 points earlier in the year at the MCG and I wouldn't be surprised if St.Kilda wins again.

Saints by 17 points.

Thoughts?

I am so looking forward to seeing how Marshall goes vs Gawn.

Pace wise I think we have the edge on Melbourne and that will trouble them.

Carlisle is now running into good form and match fitness and that helps the backline enormously, as does actually playing Brown as our FB.

Hopefully Ratts more attacking gamestyle is persevered with and that our players do not think that one win against the Doggies was enough.

Last edited:

I just hope we don't have a hangover. Need to win this one. Great to see Lone dog and the Beast Carlisle hitting some form. Brown must be offered another year. Can't see any, changes...but would like White to get a game. Doubt it happens though Steven could do with another run with Sandy, bring him back for Carlton, if he's up to it. Ratts said that Hanners trained strongly, but is it worth bringing him in? Let him run around with Sandy and get some game time. Long might come in for Hind, but I would be reluctant. Newnes hot wraps from Ratts, so he'll stay in. Sinclair could do with a circuit breaker, seems to be going through the motions a bit...but doubt that will happen. Saints by 12.

Melbourne coming back from a tough, hot game in Darwin.

Oliver will be as red as Heinz Tomato in a can.

Always hard changing up a winning side, but Long for Paton would be my go.

Paton just looking a bit shaky under pressure with his disposal.

We killed them early in the year with this game plan. No reason we can't do it again.

Paton is the obvious out for me...

I thought Sincas and Newnes played very solid games... both safe as houses.

Unfortunately it might be a case of last in, first out for Liquorlands. He definitely showed he can cut it at the highest level so I'm confident he'll be back.

Stuv & Battle (pretzel head) in for Paton & Langlands.

Longy unfortunate to miss out but Lonedog & 'Matty Parker, Matty Parker' (sing it in your head) have the small forward pressure covered, with Newnes playing a defensive role on whoever Ratts wants shutdown.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely we bring in Jack Steven? Even if we play him as a forward.

In: Steven
Out: Newnes
Why Newnes when he played the shutdown role on Johanissen and kept him to 14 touches? Only Schache was rated lower than Johannisen in the post game stats. Surely that counts for something? Don’t forget the last time we played Johannisen had 40+ disposals and was key to their huge turnaround.

Kinda weird how one minute we have a team of plodders and the next we struggle to make room for Steven, Hanners, Battle and Long.

Anyway, tough week for match committee but this will tell us a bit about Ratten the senior coach. Integrity at selection is as important as any other trait for a coach as far as I'm concerned.

Interesting selection dilemma.

Melbourne playing a shorter fwd line generally (due to injury I guess) but then Pruess is a giant. Is he (Pruess) mobile? If not Brown probably stays in to negate him; so is there a spot for Battle given the obvious backline omissions would then be Sav or Paton, so not like-for-like?

Melbourne have looked slow this year so I wouldn't be so concerned about getting torched on the rebound. Would favour going in fairly tall, and with Battle in the side we could swing Carlisle forward and create some quite stark mismatches in our forward line. Also if they play Petracca at CHF I would like to see a Battle v Trac contest all day.

If Stuv is in Langlands will come out I guess. It's a shame for the kid, liked his debut but Stuv is Stuv.

Interesting selection dilemma.

Melbourne playing a shorter fwd line generally (due to injury I guess) but then Pruess is a giant. Is he (Pruess) mobile? If not Brown probably stays in to negate him; so is there a spot for Battle given the obvious backline omissions would then be Sav or Paton, so not like-for-like?

Melbourne have looked slow this year so I wouldn't be so concerned about getting torched on the rebound. Would favour going in fairly tall, and with Battle in the side we could swing Carlisle forward and create some quite stark mismatches in our forward line. Also if they play Petracca at CHF I would like to see a Battle v Trac contest all day.

If Stuv is in Langlands will come out I guess. It's a shame for the kid, liked his debut but Stuv is Stuv.

Agree, if Battle is fit we must make room for him. Same goes for Stuv obviously. But I'd prefer to swing Battle forward and keep Carlisle in defence. Wilkie should have Petracca well covered.

Why Newnes when he played the shutdown role on Johanissen and kept him to 14 touches? Only Schache was rated lower than Johannisen in the post game stats. Surely that counts for something? Don’t forget the last time we played Johannisen had 40+ disposals and was key to their huge turnaround.
Because someone has to come out for Steven. Newnes was okay but it's not like Johanissen is dominating this season. Newnes has been very poor for the second half of the year.

I thought Parker was okay and it would be stiff to drop Langlands after one game.

Surely we bring in Jack Steven? Even if we play him as a forward.

In: Steven
Out: Newnes

See I’d think that too but Ratten did praise Newnes for his job on JJ. May mean a Sinclair or Hind make way instead.

If Steven is ready to go we make room that’s for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back